Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got ONE sorry run on the track today...threeaccidents and debris and crap everywhere....I sat in line for 2 hours waiting for my first run...and my ONLY run...so no time to get a dial-in # or to even figure out what to do next time around, etc.

Anyway, I didn't gut my car, in fact, I ran on my 18's, 1 10" sub box in the trunk AND spare in the trunk!!

Needless to say, long day, plus no where to really set up camp and prep (I intended on removing these items).

I raced a 1996 Prelude with an 85 shot of NOS, and a gutted interior and stock wheels.

I got familiar with him since we waited forever and a day to race due to the mishaps and accidents.

Silly me, so anxious, and ready to go...I was debating doing a burnout, but I was like my CAI is not trying to experiment with sucking in water right now...so I rolled thru it, instead of around it.

I know I pulled up too far...had to back up to start the tree.
We took off, and I had him!! Then she dropped into 2nd and had excessive tire spin, so she went to 3rd and him having a stick continued with me at his bumper! DAMN :mad:

This mishsift cost me that match, plus I had excess everything, and the track was sh#tty. So ....to make a long story short..look at my numbers and tell me if the R/T (reaction time) is added to my ET, or is it too low...I recall something about .512 being optimal...mine was 1.116.

Anyway, here are my numbers:

Dial -------------
R/T - 1.116
60' - 2.707
330 -7.029
1/8 - 10.510
MPH - 70.42
1000 - 13.551
1/4 - 16.117
MPH - 87.38

Left 1st .8796
DV8 was right..TRACTION is the key...

MY cat normally chirps into second...so when she did today..it kept spinning and then shifted to third! DAMN!!

What is "left 1st"? My dial in next time? I wish I got another run..this was my FIRST time drag racing.

VEry exciting though...next time gotta go early...they were getting ready for the funny cars, so no more time for DOT approved vehicles.

SOrry for the long post guys...any help is appreciated

·
Junior Mint
633 Posts
Reaction time of 0.5 s is best, just start going on the third yellow light. The reaction time does not figure into the 1/4 mile time, though. Once you pass the line at the start then it starts counting.

Your 60' time is killing you. It killed me. I did 4 runs last year, and my 60' time was 2.5 - 2.7.

Left first means that person on left won the race.

Your MPH is kinda slow. I would expect at least 90 MPH with your engine swap, but sounds like the track condition was bad.

BTW, my best run last time was a 15.8 @89 MPH. My 60' is the culprit.

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
LeGeNdZ_4_LiFe said:
Dial -------------
R/T - 1.116
60' - 2.707
330 -7.029
1/8 - 10.510
MPH - 70.42
1000 - 13.551
1/4 - 16.117
MPH - 87.38

Did you fall asleep at the line? You can sometimes mash the gas when the last yellow light is still on and you won't red light. Keep practicing, you'll get better.:D

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys...I didn't know to take off on the third yellow light...I waited for the green....no, Mike, didn't fall asleep, but I realize what those guys who ran before meant when I heard them say "the track sucks today".

I lost traction when coming out of the hole in 2nd..and I expected to hit at least 95-100mph.

Why?

Well, as an experiment of mine, I have done the standing stop launch onto the highway, and consistently pull at least up to 95 mph before toucihing the pavement on the highway...I didn't realize the track being wet like it was would hurt me. I was upset, but at least I didn't get spanked. Here's his time...remember, this is my first...I am a virgin to the dragstrip. ;)

Dial-------
R/T - .856
60' -2.882
330 - 6.994
1/8 - 10.289
MPH - 75.76
1000 - 13.120
1/4 - 15.498
MPH - 15.498

This guy had NOS....is something wrong with that picture?
Guess he didn't use it

BTW...what is 60' a measure of?....break it down....what is optimal there, as well as the 330?

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
from what im seeing, you reation time is horrible, bu that isnt a big deal until you run in eliminations(when you compete)

You 60 foot times indicate how much low end tourqe you have. a 2.7 for a v6 Legend is real bad, but curable with better tires and a launching technique. Personally my NON NOS 60' were no worse than 2.500 and now are 2.399. with nos down to a 2.232.

The first 60 feet are in my opinion the most crucial for the legend since its such a big car.

your final et mph is not good 87mph that indicates you have no topend.

All i know is that you miust of really had a screwed up run. im sure if you gave it a couple of more runs youd get better.

I personally dont think you going to get a 95mph trapspeed considering i run a [email protected], but hey you might pass me up.

you need sticky tires and not get them wet. hold your foot on the brake and floor the gas. it should pin at 2000 with out breaking the tires free, on the 3rd yellow let go of the brake, with your foot still flooring the gas. DO NOT manually shift! Leave it in D3 all the way through.

get rid of dead weight, ie back seat, spare tire, jack, subs etc.

~Hybrid

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"you need sticky tires and not get them wet. hold your foot on the brake and floor the gas. it should pin at 2000 with out breaking the tires free, on the 3rd yellow let go of the brake, with your foot still flooring the gas. DO NOT manually shift! Leave it in D3 all the way through.

get rid of dead weight, ie back seat, spare tire, jack, subs etc. "

this is what I will do.....I didnt have it in D3
I didn't do brakes + gas

I DID have too much weight + cold tires

thanx 4 the help....I know not to play in the water, too

Just like in SCCA...just needd a few runs for familiarzation...

I never knew my car to respond so slow.....wet track...cold tires (Toyo)

I will fix it next time...keep going back

DV8...do you race w/ factories up front?

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Leon;

Pick up the April issue of Sport Compact Car. They have an article on how to drag race better by Lisa Kubo. Do they have test and tune days down there. No competitions just test and tune. Good way to learn your techniques and get that beast dialed in.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave C ver2.0 said:
Leon;

Pick up the April issue of Sport Compact Car. They have an article on how to drag race better by Lisa Kubo. Do they have test and tune days down there. No competitions just test and tune. Good way to learn your techniques and get that beast dialed in.
yes they do..problem was that it was an overwhelming crowd since it was the first day for test n tune
They had to extend opening by 2 hours just to accomodate us on our FIRST run.

SOMEBODY got paid ;)

Thanks for the tip..I will pick that up today

·
1990 Legend
214 Posts
LeGeNdZ_4_LiFe said:

Anyway, here are my numbers:

Dial -------------
R/T - 1.116
60' - 2.707
330 -7.029
1/8 - 10.510
MPH - 70.42
1000 - 13.551
1/4 - 16.117
MPH - 87.38

Left 1st .8796

What is "left 1st"? My dial in next time? I wish I got another run..this was my FIRST time drag racing.

The Left 1st means the car in the left lane crossed the finish line .8796 sec before the car in the right lane.
Defently stay away from the water, I think that may have been part of the problem with the spinning. Like others have said, try to leave on the last yellow light, but R/T does not factor into your E/T, so if you are just practing I would concentrate on getting the luanch right, and not so much on R/T. Once you get the start down work on getting the R/T down.
the 60' time is the time from when you break the starting line until you cross the first 60' of the track. getting good 60' times will have a great affect on your 1/4 mile times. Generally every 0.1sec off the 60' time will give you 0.15-0.2sec off your 1/4mi time.

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
LeGeNdZ_4_LiFe said:

yes they do..problem was that it was an overwhelming crowd since it was the first day for [test n tune]
They had to extend opening by 2 hours just to accomodate us on our FIRST run.

I love seeing my business name when somebody's talking about drag racing. :cool:

Also, next time, drive around the water or have the guy squeegie some of the water out of the way if it's unavoidable.

G

·
My best time with my legend when it was stock was 15.6 @ 92MPH and that was with V-rated tires; Michelin Pilot XGT-V4's. Not to bad. I can't wait to make it out there now with my Michelin Pilot Sport ZR's, and a new intake and exhaust :). I don't have the Intake and Exhaust though yet, but once I do I'll make my way out to the track again.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Hey leon wouldn't it be FRIGGIN dope if we could race on Road ATl, ohhhhh man the hell with a drag-strip, i want to push my baby on turns:cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
HATE_ME_NOW said:
Hey leon wouldn't it be FRIGGIN dope if we could race on Road ATl, ohhhhh man the hell with a drag-strip, i want to push my baby on turns:cool:
hahaha

FUNNY you mentioned it!!

95legend6speed and I were talking about having a meet at Road Atlanta...we need to see how much it would cost (if psossible)...I know the NSX group did something of that nature in Arizona or Nevada - http://www.nsxprime.com

Hate - ME...have you registered with LLCC? If not please do so...I would like to get this thing going with the Road Atlanta...also, are you going to be at the meet on 3-2?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts