Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lookin' for some advice about a transmission problem that put my car out of service tonight. On my way home from work tonight my car popped out of gear(permanitely) after a stop at a light. After pushing it into a parking lot it would grind in every setting(automatic tranny), even neutral. Do I need to replace the tranny, or is it something smaller? Thanx for any input.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Is the D4 indicator lamp ON, indicating a stored code?

From the HELM, Page 14-76 1992 Cpe Manual: Engine runs, but vehicle does not move in any gear: Shift cable broken/out of adjustment; Oil pump worn or binding; Pressure regulator stuck; ATF strainer clogged; Final gears worn/damaged; Extension shaft worn.

Noise from Trans in all selector lever positons:
Oil pump worn/binding; Torque converter defective.

·
Registered
767 Posts
sounds bad.. that happened to me(sort of) once.. i had this mazda 929 and driving on the open road once i changed into d3 and it wouldnt go back to d4 then it stopped changing down or going into neutral.. i came into a small town and slowed down and changed into 1st at which point it started grinding so i pulled up outside a dairy and it shjt itself completely not going anywhere.. cost 3000NZ to fix, i never found out what it was either.. might be time for a new box

·
Registered
157 Posts
What kind of grind?

If you can put your car in gear and actually push the car (with the brakes off) it's your differential...you'd know also by the kind of grinding noise. You'll have a very high pitched grind that's present from the time you turn the car on, even in park and neutral, basically your transmission is getting no resistance from the differential and is spinning. If this is the case you'll need a new differential and it wouldn't be a bad idea for a new transmission.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.