Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Aguy
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy i know has this antique gun that he's about to sell in a yard sale and we have NO clue what it's worth. It's a 1871 Hopkins and Allen XL NO.3 5 shot revolver. I've been looking around online and found others similar that are worth well over a grand. I haven't found the exact one i have here though.. this is what it looks like.

Anybody that knows anything about antique guns PLEASE respond ASAP and let me know what this thing is worth.

·
Aguy
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BUMP! Anyone know anything about this before this guy sells it dirt cheap

·
What you crave.
666 Posts
I came across this answer, someone asking something similar:

Coy- Hopkins and Allen made inexpensive handguns under a variety of names (both their own, and "trade names" for various retailers) in Norwich, Conn. beginning about 1867. The XL series (numbers 1 through 8) were most common in the 1870s and 1880s. The model number was related to the caliber, but I could not find precise identification of the "No. 3" but suspect it was probably .32 or .38 rimfire. Good vest pocket guns or to keep by the bed for shooting burglars, wild animals or wild people. Certainly not expensive guns, but comparable the inexpensive guns many people buy for protection now. Little collector interest, but a wonderful family heirloom. I hope you can pass it on to your grandchildren.

Aug 1997 Questions And Answers

Kinda hard to find info on the no.3 it would appear. Best of luck to you....

·
Aguy
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah..it isn't mine..it's my buddies..he was gonna sell it in a yard sale but told me if i wanted it i could make him an offer on it. I wasn't sure what to give him, but if it isn't worth anything i was gonna let him sell it off...if it's worth somethin then i was gonna buy it and hang on to it for a while then maybe sell it....i can't find it anymore but i just located a antique gun forum where a guy was asking about the same one...apparently depending on the shape of the gun they are worth between 55 and $160

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would make the offer between $100-$160 because as old as that gun is and what it is it isn't going to be as low as $50 IMO, go for it, if its worth nothing you have a nice toy to play with! Who can say that they have a 1871 revolver to shoot?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
offer him ten bucks. i'd pay ten just to put that sucker in a frame

·
Aguy
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up giving it back to him and telling him what i was able to find online. I told him if he could get something out of it then go ahead and sell it, if not then i'd take it off his hands. I think something is wrong with it though b/c when you squeeze the trigger the chamber is suppose to spin and it doesn't for some reason.

·
Aguy
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe it is a single shot, but when you cock it, the chamber is suppose to rotate, and it doesn't.

·
Aguy
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, that's what i was thinking...if someone that knows how to work on them buys it, then it'd be fine..i don't know shit about fixing guns..especially one made in 1871

·
difficult to kill
722 Posts
save it and use it for "that one time" when you need to kill someone and get away with it. those guns were never registered. fat chance any ballistics guy is gonna figure anything out except "this a really unusual gun"

thats worth well over a grand itself...

·
-Aww Dip-
746 Posts
save it and use it for "that one time" when you need to kill someone and get away with it. those guns were never registered. fat chance any ballistics guy is gonna figure anything out except "this a really unusual gun"

you scare me. :hide:

·
Find Em Fuck Em Forget Em
946 Posts

Just keep a reproduction smooth bore around for that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.