Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it seems that it is that time for new axles. Both right/left needs to be replaced. I would like to purchase brand new ones but I don't want to pay that much for them. Brand new they are $ 150 each, the remanufactured one is $60 each plus core.

Can I get by with the remans? Like I said I'm willing to get the new ones if I have to but if the remans are just as good why pay the extra money. The axles are from Autozone.

·
FIXER
1,717 Posts
my 60 cents worth. I use Autozone axles because I replace them myself. I have had problems with autozone axles and had to install another one. The Autozone axles installed now have over 70K on them.
If I were paying someone to install them I would use a better quality axle like www.raxles.com
If you are paying a shop to install their axles make sure they will install another one for free if there is a problem.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm hoping to install them my self although I never did one on a Legend before. However I have replaced a pair in my 00 Civic Si I used to own. I thinking it should be about the same. The only thing I hate is if the axle is hard to come off. My weaksauce walmart impact gun always has a hard time with it.

Also did you go with the reman of the brand new unit. Even though I'm planning on installing them myself I don't plan on doing it again no time soon, never again if possible.

·
FIXER
1,717 Posts
It should be very simular to the Civic. A 1/2 drive impact gun is not strong enough to break the axle nut loose. You will need a "breaker bar". I had to take mine to a local shop to get them loose after busting my "breaker bar" on a really tight one. They had to use a 3/4 in. impact gun to get it loose. You will also need a "puller to seperate the lower control arm from the lower ball joint. Autozone will rent this puller.
I used the Autozone axles. They are rebuilt by CCT. *tip* - Inspect the axle splines at the parts store before leaving. Make sure the splines are in good shape, no tooling damage from the reman.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Get the new axles. I have had nothing but trouble with the rebuilt ones. You find out after the install that the axle is bad and have to return the defective one. I replaced a bad axle on a 91 toyota corolla wagon only to find out that it was bad and had to take it out and return the defective one. I went thru 2 before I finally got one that was ok.
Maybe it was just my bad luck, but for me I would buy a new one and replace the old with confidence that it will work ok.

·
Registered
652 Posts
60_cent said:
I'm hoping to install them my self although I never did one on a Legend before. However I have replaced a pair in my 00 Civic Si I used to own. I thinking it should be about the same. The only thing I hate is if the axle is hard to come off. My weaksauce walmart impact gun always has a hard time with it.

Also did you go with the reman of the brand new unit. Even though I'm planning on installing them myself I don't plan on doing it again no time soon, never again if possible.
The left and right drive axles are different. The left side axle has a different configuration of the end that goes into the differential. You will note that the left has a female end, splined inner, that goes into the differential and also a male end that slides into the seal installed in the differential case,all in one. The male end that slides into the seal should be silky smooth and shiney. I had to reject three axle, two from Napa and one from Autozone, because the male end, supposed to be smooth and shiney, was sandblasted during the reman operation and the supposed to be silky smooth seal contact area was rough and course. Had I installed the axle as purchased from NAPA/Autozone the diff. seal would not have lasted very long. The sales people were not knowledgable at all about this until I pointed out the discrepancy.

By the way you can purchase the boots,inner and outer, and R & R your axles if the bearings/rollers are still good. Hell of a lot of savings doing the job yourself and it's really not difficult. The Helms has all the info you need to do the job.

Good luck. RAP

·
Faster than yo Legend son
1,041 Posts
I don't mess with those fake me outs get the real deal. the fake ones I had were some junk. went out with in the same year on one side but the other side just took a little longer.

The good ones I coulnd't even hear when they were bad the shop had to tell me I needed new ones and still didn't get new ones installed after a while when they told me. I never heard one click click sound. the fake me outs, I heard the clicking sound and got a bad drive

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.