Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELP: 95 LEGEND DOESNT ALWAYS START

i have recently bought a 1995 legend and i love the car but i am having a problem with it not starting sometimes. i have read some of the forums here and i checked out my main efi relay pack and it clicks all three times but i went ahead and took it apart and resoldered all the connections on the board and am still having the same problem. the engine cranks fine but just doesnt start. Like i said this only happens some of the time and most of the time it starts just fine. when i am cranking the engine you can smell gas so i figured it might be no spark. I have also tried shooting some starter fluid into the intake and it doesnt change the response from the engine. well when i pulled a plug it sparks and the plug is wet from fuel. the times i have noticed it not starting is when you let it run for a while like 4-5 minutes or if you move the vehicle and then park it and shut it off and try to restart it again right away it wont start. also sometimes when cranking the motor over it will try to start and i have started the car this way a few times by just letting it crank and crank when it does start this way the idle is rough but smooths out a few moments later and usually has the check engine light on. if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated thanks alot
mike

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update added photos of my car

i am new to this forum and this is my first acura. i picked this car up just about a 2 weeks ago and only payed $499.05 (the previous owner left 95 cents in the ashtray lol.) the car runs great when it starts i really hope someone can help me out on here. it only has 144,000 miles on it. Here are some photos of my new ride. again any help will be much appreciated and i will keep it updated that way if anyone has these problems this will help them out.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Wow, what a steal deal you got: $499.05 for 144.000 miles on it, leather seats are still in very good shape as well as the body except a slight hit in the rear bumper but that's nothing major damage, congratulation to your new car.

For the start part, I'd recommend some easy steps first:

1. New air filter.
2. New fuel filter.
3. New spark plugs.
4. Double checks all 6 coil packs.
5. Intake cleaning.
6. Inspect all vacuum hoses.
7. Ignition switch.

Others might have better advices. Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have a new air filter as far as the fuel filter do you have any link or anything to the location of it? i dont think it is a fuel issue though basically because even when i shoot a healthy amount of starter fluid into the intake it still doesnt try to start. i was thinking if anyone knows if it could be the crank cam positioning sensor since it seems i have spark and fuel. has anyone ever heard of it giving anyone problems with starting sometimes and running fine other times??? any help please

·
SGM / Type F
3,699 Posts
Possibly leaky injectors soaking the spark plug? Just a thought
how would i check that???
Take your plugs out and do a visual inspection to see if any one of them is running rich or lean, it may help find the 'soaked' plug if that is indeed the problem. This is also good because after pulling the plugs you could pull the coil packs and check those.

It may be intermittent fuel pump issues you could try testing the pump too:

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f4/fuel-pump-diy-120023/

When you do get it to start and stay running any signs of vacuum leaks at all (idle, sounds etc)?

There is a set of diagnostic procedures for crank-no start issues in the online service manual (see sticky at the top of the G2 forum). Keep us posted.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when i pull the plugs out when it is not starting the plugs are wet with fuel... does this mean i need new injectors or can having them cleaned fix this problem? also can i test the injectors any other way then just a visual inspection? when the engine is cranking there is a gas smell that fills my garage even with the hood shut and the garage door open when cranking over and over could this just be that the cylinders are getting to much fuel and flooding out. which kinda makes sense since if i let it sit long enough it will start back up. the only other think that im not sure of is even after the engine is running for a while and up to operating temp sometimes it wont start. just not sure if failing fuel injectors could cause this since it just got done running. Also when it is running it runs fine doesnt stall or anything like that . the only time i notice a rough idle is if it happens to start after cranking for a long period of time but then smooths right out in a few seconds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

ok i finally got a chance to do a little more work on my car while trying to track down my problem i started with testing my fuel pump and this is what i found:

1. the fuel pump primes every time no matter if the car starts or not.
2. while the car is running the fuel pump always has voltage and you can hear it running the whole time.
3. while cranking the fuel pump always is getting voltage and you can hear it running.

i guess my question is to all of you and if you have any advice on what to check next. also while testing all this last night the car started to do something new. now after running for a minute or so the car's RPM's will drop and the rise right back up and continue this untill you shut the car off and restart it. then it will do it again after a minute or so. while all this is happening i was already monitoring the voltage to the fuel pump and didnt notice any real difference in voltage just the small variance from 13.5 to 13.2 and i would just imagine that is coming from the difference in rpms on the alternator.

Any Ideas Guys
please help

·
Registered
393 Posts
In regards to your RPM's fluctuating, it could be due to air in your coolant system. There is a DIY Bleeding the air from your cooling system on here which can guide you through the process. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but it may also be a product of head gasket failure, so fingers crossed its just air.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.