Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a body shop yesterday to get an estimate on some collision damage, while there i asked the guy doing the estimate to roughly figure what it would cost to get all the rust taken care of, a new rear bumper cover, and a fresh coat of paint on the entire car...here is what he said. "well you would be looking at two new quarter panels, a new trunk lid, and a new hood....that would run you with paint around 5K...thats a lot of money to WASTE on a car that is 11 years old and has 150K on it." so i said, "this is my first car and i want it to last forever. someday it will be a classic." so he says,"well its gonna just rust again in the future, so it would be pointless to fix it now. what you should do is go to texas or arizona and buy the identical car for 5K, and just PRETEND its your first one, and junk this one when it gets worse. you would be out of your mind to fix this car. once a car rusts its always going to rust." what an asshole! dude basically told me my car is a piece of ****. the ****er has no clue of what sentimental attachment means. i wouldnt put any money into it right now anyway, but in the future i would do a full restoration. there is just something about this car that makes me never want to let it go. man o man i wanted to smack that ass in the head when hes said my ride was worthless. they are definately not getting my business on the collision damage! ok, there is a point to this post....i would like to know if any of you share my madness? are any of you planning on keeping your cars until the bitter end, or am i just nuckin futs?

91coupeLS

·
Registered
332 Posts
The guy you spoke with is being a realist. It doesn't make sense to restore a car. The cost of restoration on ANY car ALWAYS outways the market value.

I understand that there's something to be said for sentimental value. But when you consider the costs involved, it just makes more sense to move on.

So, if you do choose to restore your car, go someplace else. Nobody said you've got to go to that particular shop. I'm sure there are plenty of other places much more understanding and willing to work with you.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I felt the same way you do about my first car. When my engine went...basically everyone told me to junk the car and get a new one. I felt that I was better off having the engine rebuilt then to buy a new car. I used the same argument 75000 miles later when the tranmission went. There reached a point when even I couldn't justify putting more money into the car.

Unfortunately the guy you talked too was being rational and he may have a point. In the end we all have to do what we think is best and makes us happy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I plan to keep my GS for many years to come. It has 100K, and for a legend that is nothing. A lot of members on this board with pimped out legends have many more miles than me, and by the time my car is fully pimped out I will have at most 130K miles, which is still nothing. Mileage and age don't mean sh!t when it comes to these cars because of their reliability and design.

I plan to also get it repainted by next summer. This is probably one of the best mods I can do to my car and I definitely don't see it as a waste of money.

It is all about the love you have for your car. I love the legend and don't plan on buying another car for a very long time. So to me it is worth every penny to mod my car and take care of it. If my engine goes, I rebuild it. If the tranny goes, I swap it. In the end I still save money over a new car that depreciates anyway, plus I get to keep the beauty and classic design that is the legend.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Car-enjoy

I had a red 91 Legend L Coupe perfect condition- 150,000 miles when the trans blew. Spending $3,000.00 for a new tranny was truly a no-brainer. I was going to drive this car forever. But unfortunatly 1,000 miles later I hit a wall on a freeway off ramp and killed her.
I now have a white 93 LS Coupe- 124,000 miles that requires some restoration work. I plan on owning this one for a long time. Spending money again on what's needed is really a "no-brainer".
Go with your heart. Good luck and enjoy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts