Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everybody im new here and i picked up a 1988 legend coupe 5 speed last year.unfortunatly...my father and i started digging into it the other day as it needs some work.well under the car towards the front it seems like theres the 2 frame rails that join into the front end and at that joint there is some major rust on both sides.also there is a good size hole in the rail in the back on the drivers side next to the strut. any thoughts on what to do about this? i really dont want to get rid of the car or part it out because i do like it, but my father probably isnt going to go for a professional fabricator because of the cost and we dont have the resources to do it ourselves.

·
Mo*or Mo**h
1,730 Posts
I'm thinking you may have answered your own question.

If it's truly frame rot, nothing but custom fab repair is going to fix it.
And, it may not be possible. Amounts to welding plates over the rot to solid connection points.

Even then, the rest of the metal underneath may be just as bad and not far from failure. A good checking is in order.

Good luck with that.

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,585 Posts
Welcome and so sorry to hear about the rust. Ya, the only way to get rid of the rust is to cut them out and put new ones in. You don't want to drive around like that with rust cause it'll snap in half. Its hard to say this but, its best to keep that Legend and sell it for parts or find another Legend and use the first Legend for parts on it. Best of luck with ya mayne.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I'd limit driving this car around OP... welcome to the community!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

drivers side rear.

under car towards front.these 2(1 on passenger side too but not as bad)dont appear to be complete holes yet.theres also holes in the corners of the footwells but im concerned about the frame.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so this might be a long shot...but is there anybody around the scranton PA area that has a first generation legend coupe for sale?what im really looking for is just a solid chassis/frame to replace my rotting one.no engine or transmission required.thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.