G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok rims are:
18 lbs each

Tires are:
25 lbs each

So, 1 rim and 1 tire would be 43 lbs X the other 3 pairs=
172 lbs for all 4 rims and tires together..

Damn I weight about 25 more lbs than that setup!:D

BTW, the rims are 18X7.5 and........ :tada: FORGED!:D

I wonder how much the oem 15"s w/ tires weigh?

Back on topic.. is 172 lbs "light weight" for rims w/ tires??

·
Junior Mint
633 Posts
The OEM 15" rims (20 spoke) with 205/60/15 Michelins are 36.5 lbs. I heard that the GS rims with 225 tires is 42 lbs. My rims with 215/45/17 Pirellis are 40 lbs.

I think that the setup you talk about is pretty good. What is the tire that weighs 25 lbs?

A pound per inch of rim is good for weight. So if your 18" rim weighs 18 lbs, that's pretty good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tires would be Khumo Ecsta's 225/40/ZR18's...

Damn the oem 15's = 144 lbs total..

That's 28 lbs lighter than the 18's.. Wanted to know for future info if I ever wanted to race on a track which rims to use...
:)

·
Junior Mint
633 Posts
Use OEM on the track if you can.

Remember that there are a bunch of things that factor into what's good for the track in terms of weight. Weight on the rims and tires, because the engine has to get them spinning, is equivalent to about 3x extra weight in the car. So adding 10 lbs overall with the wheels/tires is like adding 30 lbs of ballast in the car. This is the calculation I used when I used to race R/C cars.

And the more weight is towards the outside of the rim/tire, it's harder to get those moving due to inertia. People always talk about how lightweight a rim has to be, but I'm surprised that they never mention that it would be nice to have a tire lightweight as well (without compromising safety/traction obviously).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I was also trying to search for a lightweight tire.. Also I think 215/18 may be a little lighter but I doubt it..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts