Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright,

are there any LEGAL, H.I.D systems we can put in our cars? I was looking at autolamps-online.com and noticed that they're all listed as OFFROAD only, in other words, illegal on the street. What makes them different from the ones in newer cars that ARE legal?

Model #s/Prices?

I live in Southern California, usually any excuse is good enough to pull you over.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
There are NO HID kits that are technically legal to use in a car that did not come with HIDs as factory.

All the different kits out there are all for off road use only. That said, I've never been stopped for my HIDs, nor has any officer given it a second look. It matches the Legend, and people who don't know otherwise just think its OEM

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
All aftermarket HID kits are not DOT approved or street legal except the Sylvania xenarc kits. But the only available xenarc kit is the fog lamps (X1010) nothing for 9006 as need on the Legend. Unlike other HID vendors, Autolamps is telling you something most vendors avoid - off road use only. Even one-piece JDM will land you the same summons for equip violation as aftermarket HIDs.

Poorly designed HID kits that cause a lot of glare will draw the attention of cops. The beam pattern on the autolamps kit is very even and glare is minimal. I have never been flashed or pulled over. So Cal is about as strict as NYC/LI and I have not heard anyone who had problems with law enforcement with these kits.
Cops seems to concentrate more on tint, exhaust sound, clear turn signal/bumper lamps/tail lamps around here.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Question, were on 9006 H.I.Ds placed? I'm guessing in the Low Beam headlights correct? What happens to the High Beams? What is usually done? Is it left alone?

I noticed two kits at the Autolamps website:
9006 Xenon HID Headlamp conversion kit
9006 6000K Xenon HID Headlamp conversion kit

Differences? Which gives the closest look to OEM H.I.Ds?

on another note were the tinted windows that came in the 94-95 GS Sedans? My side windows are lighter than the rear ones, but the rears almost look like "limo tint".. Almost.. you can still see well out. This is the way the car came when I got it at a used car dealership.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Yes. With the 9006 kit (low lights), you maintain the use of your highs too. The xenon kit (1st gen HID) is rated at 4100K and the Ultinon (2nd gen HID) is rated at 6000K.

The 4100K comes close to OEM and the 6000K IMHO look better then OEM. Judge for yourself, TL OEM on the left and Ultinons on the right.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Thai.95LCoupe said:
Dam that TL and Legnd pic is cool..:D
Ya, I love looking at that pic.....Just goes to show how cool HIDs are and how the design of the legend is timeless...I don't see what looks like a 8 year difference in design...

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
If legality is a concern and improved road lighting is the goal why not consider something like the PIAA 90 PRO XT driving/fog combo.

This thing puts out a hellacious amount of light and should just tuck into the lower grill of a 92 sedan (by my measurments) if you trim the grill grate. Got a buddy has a set on his Crown Vic PI clone. Lights the road for at least a 1/4 mile+.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts