Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i want some HID's but i dont know too much about them

my mother has an '04 RL, (anybody know what level of brightness those are?)and i like those i dont want them any brighter than those...i was wondering what exactly you have to do installition wise

and about how much would a set of HID's just like or about the same brightness as the RL cost?

thanks

· Factory Freak!
1,651 Posts
s55lear said:
So i want some HID's but i dont know too much about them

my mother has an '04 RL, (anybody know what level of brightness those are?)and i like those i dont want them any brighter than those...i was wondering what exactly you have to do installition wise

and about how much would a set of HID's just like or about the same brightness as the RL cost?

thanks
The RL HID's are I THINK 6500k and are perfect in my opinion as to color and brightness.

You can choose your personal preference of color and brightness at any HID company's website, there are too many to list so just do a search

The price is give or take between $350-550. I bet someone on the boards could hook you up with a very descent set, again just do a search

Here's the DIY on installation..
http://legend-forum.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73548&highlight=HID+kit

These are of thee most common newb questions, just do a search before making a new thread next time ;)

· I like shiny
14,445 Posts
OEM HIDs are usually 4100k. They look like a different color temperature due to the OEM optics that are designed for HIDs. The color that would make them more yellow is filtered out due to those different optics. To get that look or close to it, go with an aftermarket 6000k kit. That's what I have, if you wanted a bluer color you could go with an 8000k kit as well.

· emayex.com
2,034 Posts
i bought my legend with a McCulloh HID kit installed...not sure the brightness it's either 6000 or 8000 because the color is blueish-white....because it's coming out of stock projectors it doesn't seem like it improved the lighting THAT much...the general consensus seems to be if you're going to get HIDs, retrofit HID projectors as well. I don't mind though, I can see the road fine and they look soo cooool, really makes my car standout at night, i get double takes from people on the highway all the time "a legend with HIDs???"

· Registered
4,439 Posts
As I always say, putting HID inside stock headlights is bad because:

- You are blinding other people on the road by using reflectors in front of your HIDs.

- You are lighting the road in front of you more and the road farther away from you less, making you more self-confident but in reality you can see less.

- The practice is illegal everywhere.

So, what do you do?

A search. And an HID projector retrofit. Or stick with Silverstars or HIRs.

· I'van der Rohe
13,069 Posts
i thought the RLs color temperature was 5000K

at least that's what acura sold as replacement bulbs.

with real Retrofits (with beam corrected bulbs) actually do is brighten up the entire range. Cops have not harrassed or even pulled me over for HIDs.

Infact HID retrofit from what i remember is legal. the "Hyper white" 100W stupid Blue replacment bulbs are illegal and aren't sold anywhere now. the motion to ban HIDs was dismissed in the district of columbia. and in North Carolina, HIDs are Legal, but Hyper White replacement bulbs are not.

as far as "brightness" that's all in the optics...

I went HID because i wanted some color (yes i admit it:giggle: ) but i also wanted brightness to the side. Silverstars gave a marginal difference in beam battern color. but nothing in the way of actual usable brightness.

the HIDs brought the beam pattern wider further outward onto the side of the road.(better for the urban areas and rural areas i drive in)

· LEGENDARY MEMBER
1,726 Posts
ALoneR said:
i bought my legend with a McCulloh HID kit installed...not sure the brightness it's either 6000 or 8000 because the color is blueish-white....because it's coming out of stock projectors it doesn't seem like it improved the lighting THAT much...the general consensus seems to be if you're going to get HIDs, retrofit HID projectors as well. I don't mind though, I can see the road fine and they look soo cooool, really makes my car standout at night, i get double takes from people on the highway all the time "a legend with HIDs???"
I was some what disappointed with my Hids in my USDM housing, then I bought JDM's, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! My advice to anyone out there who wants to put HIDs in USDM would be not not to bother. Unless you are just going for the "blue look" for oncoming drivers.
I really don't understand why people are getting flashed??? You must not have them aimed properly. I have never been flashed before USDM or JDM housing.

· Registered
317 Posts
arnach said:
As I always say, putting HID inside stock headlights is bad because:

- You are blinding other people on the road by using reflectors in front of your HIDs.

- You are lighting the road in front of you more and the road farther away from you less, making you more self-confident but in reality you can see less.

- The practice is illegal everywhere.

So, what do you do?

A search. And an HID projector retrofit. Or stick with Silverstars or HIRs.
If u do it right....u wont have all these problems.Trust me,i have one.
Arnach are u really from Bostwana...?

· Registered
4,439 Posts
stalker said:
I was some what disappointed with my Hids in my USDM housing, then I bought JDM's, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! My advice to anyone out there who wants to put HIDs in USDM would be not not to bother. Unless you are just going for the "blue look" for oncoming drivers.
I really don't understand why people are getting flashed??? You must not have them aimed properly. I have never been flashed before USDM or JDM housing.
Must be better now that your headlight's optics are for right hand drive and you are driving on the left. :rolleyes:

· LEGENDARY MEMBER
1,726 Posts
Yes, they are smartass. You must have had an Hid kit in JDM housings before. I am well aware of the headlight optics being for right hand drive, my kit is aimed perefctly. I have never been flashed, my beam pattern is exceptional, and your theory is off base.

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rufus said:
If u do it right....u wont have all these problems.Trust me,i have one.
Arnach are u really from Bostwana...?
so how did you do the hids in your USDM headlights without all the problems arnach stated?

· Registered
316 Posts
Bang&Olufsen DK said:
i thought the RLs color temperature was 5000K

at least that's what acura sold as replacement bulbs.

Infact HID retrofit from what i remember is legal. the "Hyper white" 100W stupid Blue replacment bulbs are illegal and aren't sold anywhere now. the motion to ban HIDs was dismissed in the district of columbia. and in North Carolina, HIDs are Legal, but Hyper White replacement bulbs are not.
RLs are using the standard 4100K hid bulbs. Replacement bulbs are indeed 5000K. Here's the reason behind using it: over time, the 4100K will have shifted its color....thus, in order to match that color shifted bulb, 5000K was used. However, if you're replacing both bulbs, then the dealer will give you the standard 4100K bulbs. This applies to all car brands that use HID bulbs.

HID retrofit...whether it's a plug-n-play kit or OE projector retrofit is ILLEGAL!

· I like shiny
14,445 Posts
imports_only1 said:
RLs are using the standard 4100K hid bulbs. Replacement bulbs are indeed 5000K. Here's the reason behind using it: over time, the 4100K will have shifted its color....thus, in order to match that color shifted bulb, 5000K was used. However, if you're replacing both bulbs, then the dealer will give you the standard 4100K bulbs. This applies to all car brands that use HID bulbs.

HID retrofit...whether it's a plug-n-play kit or OE projector retrofit is ILLEGAL!
:werd:

I think the law states that any HIDs that were not installed in the factory are technically Illegal.

· Registered
4,439 Posts
stalker said:
Yes, they are smartass. You must have had an Hid kit in JDM housings before. I am well aware of the headlight optics being for right hand drive, my kit is aimed perefctly. I have never been flashed, my beam pattern is exceptional, and your theory is off base.
My theory that you are putting non-beam-corrected or faux "beam-corrected" HIDs in stock refractors? How is that "off base?" How are you obtaining a legal cut-off line in lights designed only for halogens?

· Registered
4,439 Posts
imports_only1 said:
Yes, it's all illegal, although technically an OE projector retrofit with no reflectors or refractors in front of it and auto-leveling installed and operation is pretty much as legal as you are going to get.

· Registered
502 Posts
Just make sure that the HID kit you buy is 9006 bulb specific, and find out if the kit is beam pattern correct, meaning that the burning element is in the same location as an original 9006 filament. That means you will get a great beam pattern and you wont blind people and get a ticket/fine from the Dunkin Donut express.

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i think i might just forget about it for now b.c there are so many stipulations and im not sure whats legal and illegal right now...

or i could just steal the ones out of the RL, haha, but no i wouldnt do that

· Registered
2,473 Posts
Well..anything besides your stock halogen would be illegal. Even a retrofit is illegal.

HID is only legal if it came with the car in the first place.

You can blame the guys who buy HID kits that dont aim them properly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.