Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· has left the building
7,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the HIR 9012 low beam bulbs yesterday and while it's not the jump from stock to HID, it's certainly better than ANY halogen bulb out there. Definitely better than stock and a helluva lot cheaper than PIAA's. The guy that sells them (Bill Fox), really knows his stuff. The bulbs can be found at www.finemotoring.com. You have to trim the top tab to make them fit in a 9006 mounting but for the '06 Civic, I had to shave the barrel (the part right underneath the glass but above the O-ring) because the hole in a Civic housing has a ridge in it and the barrel on a 9012 HIR is oh-so-slightly bigger than a 9006. They would probably fit in a G2 just fine.

My advice would be to try them out. I may end up trying the 9011 HIR (high beams) and modifying them to fit in the lows by shaving the tab on the inside of the plug, just like a 9005 to 9006 conversion. Looks like that if you trim the top tab (he marks them for cutting for you) and take the O-ring off of the old bulbs and slide them down to the base of the barrel up against the flange, they fit beautifully in a 9006 mounting. IMO, at $29.95/ea., it's hard to go wrong.

· Registered
208 Posts
FineMotoring.com said:
The Toshiba bulbs are virtually identical in every regard to the 9005 and 9006 bulbs EXCEPT for extremely minor differences in the shape of the mounting flanges. HIR bulbs have a double-wide top ear on the plastic bulb base to comply with a law that requires different bulbs to have different bases. This extra-wide plastic top ear can be easily trimmed or filed to make the HIR fit the bulb receptacle of an 9005 or 9006. Once the trimming/filing is done, the HIR goes directly into the headlamp and the existing sockets snap on.

A few minutes work with a file or Dremel tool will greatly enhance the usefulness of these bulbs with regard to those cars which might not, strictly speaking, have been designed with these exact bulbs in mind. In fact, it's amazing how simple and easy it is to remove a few square millimeters of soft plastic. You can even trim them with toenail clippers, (please take a series of small "bites" instead of a big chomp). Five minutes, tops, and then these bulbs will fit in any car that takes 9005 and 9006 bulbs. Owners of certain late-model US cars have reported minor problems, easily corrected, with the shape of the vehicle's light housings. The housings never need to be modified in any way, only the bulbs. Please email if you have any questions about specific fit and suitability factors.
why not just modify the part and send it out us? wouldn't it be more convient for buyers? so then its not a plug and play i'm assuming just needs a little modification.

FineMotoring.com said:
Generally, you have to look hard to find the HIR bulb. The Dodge dealer, for instance, charges $127 a piece for just one. Here, I'm selling them for $29.95 each. . . per single bulb, not per pair !!!!!

Shipping is $4 in the US, USPS priority insured. This cost covers up to 8 bulbs at a time (total per box). International shipping is available at prevailing rate; e-mail [email protected] for a quote.
so if we order a pair 29.95 + 29.95 , total shipping would be plus $4.00? some what combine shipping? just wanted to verify that please. $63.90

Let me know when you guys get yours installed, whats the difference from buying xenon bulbs off of ebay and his HIRS? is there really a huge amount of difference?

Why not just go with a pair of techone's HID for $250 shipped, and not have to worry about changing the bulbs? or another set of HIds! and also not having to worry about high or low beams? 63.90 for a pair, after a while you'd replaced them and in time the cost will add up enough to purchase a set of true hids.?

· has left the building
7,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
63.90 is correct. He will modify them if you ask him to but it takes all of 5 minutes with a Dremel. The HIR's are a nice intermediate step for people that don't have the $$$ for HIDs and are concerned with the glare & spatter problems associated with a HID conversion.

· Registered
208 Posts
stevieray said:
63.90 is correct. He will modify them if you ask him to but it takes all of 5 minutes with a Dremel. The HIR's are a nice intermediate step for people that don't have the $$$ for HIDs and are concerned with the glare & spatter problems associated with a HID conversion.
Good info, HID conversions on the g2 legend stock oem headlights causes spatter, and glare proclems? More info please.

Take a look at thise JDM HID conversion, this causes problems?

· has left the building
7,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
ss812 said:
Good info, HID conversions on the g2 legend stock oem headlights causes spatter, and glare proclems? More info please.

Take a look at thise JDM HID conversion, this causes problems?
It's not the HIDs themselves that cause problems. It's the combination of HID conversion kits & ANY headlight housing originally designed for halogens that will have some glare and/or spatter issues when you pair the two together. Some halogen housings adapt to HIDs better than others. Also, special care MUST be taken to re-aim the headlights IF an HID conversion is done. The only sure way to avoid issues is to have a HID retrofit done ($1000-1500) or modify the housings to accept projectors.

Quite frankly, the conversion kit in the link looks like garbage. There is no such animal as a "JDM HID Conversion Kit".

· is gone with the wind ...
1,019 Posts
Also note that the headlight projection pattern in the link you provided is not from a Legend. Ergo, you cannot use that as an indicator.

Oh, and whut SR said!!!

· Registered
3,994 Posts
stevieray. I have a question about the performance of these bulbs ....

I put one in my passenger side, and left a normal bulb in the driver side. When I look at the headlights from in front of the car, they both look the same color and brightness. Also when I park in front of the white painted wall where I park, both bulbs light up the wall with the same color and brightness too. What I don't get is when I am driving at night there appears to be a very large improvement in the passenger side headlamp.

Is there an logical explanation for this ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.