Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any one know about home audio here, I'm looking for a really nice system for my room, I respect my music, so don't recommend any junk, Oh and by the way I hate Bose....I heard it and didn't like it. Any suggestions are welcome.

Oh I don't care about the video, something just for music.

I'm have no Idea.

·
Registered
368 Posts
by junk your talking about that sony an aiwas garbage right?

if you want good quality for a decent price... go with deno, eclipse, or even nakimichi.

if you have the cash go with bang and olufsen, they have some pretty nice stuff.

but it all depends if you want a shelf system or if you want individual components

·
Registered
368 Posts
i dont know about the whole sony thing, i mean ive bought some of there cd players and even one of there digital recivers, and i am very dissapointed with there lack of quality. basically you are buying the name.

harmon kardon is great, if you can get it for good price. dont go to best buy or circuit city for it however they will murder you on the prie for harmon kardon components

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Well, here is my credentials. I run a Meridian Digiatal Theater system based on a 565 proccessor and a 500 CD transport. If you are not familiar with Meridian, than I'd just say it has a Stereophile magazine Class A rating. :) I get all my gear from my friend who owns a Home audio/theater shop.

The question you need to answer us here first before any of use can recomend anything is if you want a receiver based system or separates? For speakers, do you want a full range tower, or sattellite/sub system?

Also, what kind of sound do you like? Do you like a melow laid back sort of soft sound, or do you like a edgy up front sound? By this, I mean the soundstage and depth of the imaging.

And last, how much do you want to spend? It can range from about a $1000 to about $100,000 :D

I wouls suggest you pick up a Stereophile magazine and read some of the reviews as well.

G

·
Exactly what ChrisK just said.... you can start getting really really great sound once you spend over about $2000 though. That is if you are going for a nice Dolby Digital setup. I'll give you some recomendations for the more normal stuff, if you want the incredible expensive stuff, the better listen to ChrisK.

I love Onkyo Receivers are DVD players. For the money they pretty much can't be beat. I currently have an Onkyo TX-DS787 Receiver and an Onkyo DV-S555 DVD player.

For speakers, Klipsch makes some great stuff for the money and it was easy for me to get locally so that's what I went with. I have the KG3.5 tower speakers, with a KSW-12 subwoofer. For surrounds I just use some Cambridge Model Seventeen speakers that I'm not wild about, but they get the job done for surround. I have some Infinity Reference IV tower speakers that I was using as surrounds but they weren't that much better for surrounds (since its not very demanding) so I just gave these to my dad to compliment his new 51" Sony HDTV :D.

There are some other great brands out there, but for receivers you really should make sure that you get a nice one in this department. If you are running tower speakers I would say to get at least 100W if you want to play it loud, (that's what I have and it goes way louder than I would ever want it, but then again my dad's only puts out like 75W and his goes higher than I would ever want to turn it up as well).

Good luck, home theater/audio can be really fun and amazing, but watch how much you spend cause you can go broke before you know it so stay within your budget ;).

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
SpeedDemon said:

I love Onkyo Receivers are DVD players. For the money they pretty much can't be beat. I currently have an Onkyo TX-DS787 Receiver and an Onkyo DV-S555 DVD player.

I agree with Onkyo. I also have an older Onkyo receiver. I haven't keept up with them lately, but I like the warm sound they have. That would have been one of my recomendations for a receiver. The other other would have been a Rotel. Personally, I haven't too much experience with Rotel receivers, but they pack a lot of puch for the cost, and they seem to sound pretty good as well.

·
2,873 Posts
It all depends on what music you like and whether or not you like playing movies every now and then. But whatever you do, don't get anything from those chain places like BestBuy or circuit city.

For speakers I have Paradigm's (www.paradigm.ca) in the center and surrounds. Front's I have a McIntosh LS-300 2-way and a M&K subwoofer. All hooked up to a Parasound (www.parasound.com) receiver/preamp.

If you want reviews or opinions try www.audioreview.com

·
Registered
733 Posts
Usually everyone has their own taste, but I would like to suggest this as far as speakers are concerned.......You will find the exact speaker your looking for by going to the spot where you intend to buy them and take along (this might sound boring but it works) a cd of the 1812 William Tell Overture.....That one song will test the highs the mids and definitely the bass......It is recommended that you listen to this particular song on a 6 to 8 volume control level...If they won't let you, then find a store that will..

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Hey you guys this is Miss C. we're talking about here from Beverly Hills you know THE RICH GIRL??? I really don't think she cares about price and budget stuff. When rich folk say they don't want junk they mean the best.

Now with that said, Miss C. ? I think for you since your not much into the whole Hi Fi thing I think componets would confuse you to much since its your first system, so I would highly suggest getting a B&O set up, its fairly simple straight forward and easy to set up, dosent take up alot of room and will look super sweet in your Master suite of a bedroom, yeah I've been to Beverly Hills I know what those homes look like, go B&O baby. Just go into one of their stores with your favorite CD's and listen to all their systems, they have some really really nice set ups (variety) and not at all cheap in any way shape or form.
Matter of fact theres one in your town right off Rodeo Drive I was just there but I forget the street name, but just look'em up in the Yellow pages or their web site in store locations. You will be more than satisfied with their products, it will be just what the Dr. ordered :) have fun.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I don't know Reno, I would give her a lot more credit as far as knowledge of what to get.....Well maybe until the sales assistant starts kicking out that 300 watts per channel into 4 ohms junk. My suggestion is NOT to go to Circuit City or Best Buy....

·
No So*p For Yo*!
430 Posts
considering she said it's for her room and not house, i don't think we need it THAT bling bling. i personally like components. :) the speakers i'd suggest for size and performance are the polk rms series. yea, not the BEST, but not the worst. i think they'll be pretty damn good. only thing i'd change is probably get a bigger sub, but if you don't mind, the 8" could suffice. as for the components, i'm not good with that. so i'll let the others talk. hehehe.. but yea, polk rms series sounds good to me.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Ok then Miss C. if you want componets go and get yourself a the 800 series Meridian setup it includes CD/DVD transport and processor yes only two pieces no amp, why because the speakers (towers DSP8000) are active with five dedicated 100w amps in each tower. Oh and the eight character digital display on speakers can be blanked out. You have PC connectivity too and everything is upgradeable to the sun in case you move and want your own theater yes everything is digital. This way you have your componets and its compact, all starting around a wopping twenty five thousand dollars. (or is that just for the speakers I forget) so...
See your local authorized Meridian dealer today.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
RenoG said:
Ok then Miss C. if you want componets go and get yourself a the 800 series Meridian setup it includes CD/DVD transport and processor yes only two pieces no amp, why because the speakers (towers DSP8000) are active with five dedicated 100w amps in each tower. Oh and the eight character digital display on speakers can be blanked out. You have PC connectivity too and everything is upgradeable to the sun in case you move and want your own theater yes everything is digital. This way you have your componets and its compact, all starting around a wopping twenty five thousand dollars. (or is that just for the speakers I forget) so...
See your local authorized Meridian dealer today.
MMMM. Meridian :) One day I'll trade in my Meridian 565 set up for the 800 series. Well, at least that is the dream. I might just settle for the 566.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I went to the B&O store, and yes Reno they are on Rodeo Drive. Because I only needed something nice for the room and because their systems are so so so nice & simple (I've seen them before but never gave it any thought) I went on ahead got theeee ok its called Beosound 9000 cd changer type of setup but it travels up and down or you can have it go side to side I love it and I got the speakers they caaalllllled (I'm looking) BeoLab 8000 real sleek the whole system actualy and I went on ahead and got this phone too couldn't pass it up Beocom3 it does everything even connect to the net. This system sounds really wounderful. Thanks guys, thank you RenoG, its just what I wanted, perfect.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.