Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering these are new forums, and we now have a "Search" function (Yay) :)

I'm going to add this thread which I had posted on the Legend.Org forum.... for reference.

HondaATF

I have a 1990 Acura Legend L Coupe, and the transmission was rebuilt about 8months ago. It has always given a pretty strong "jerk" when shifting gears. I always assumed this was normal because people refer to it as the "Honda AT Hardshift".

Well, a mechanic told me to put some HondaATF in it. It had Dextron (is that how you spell it?) ;) in it. The HondaATF purchased at the Acura Dealer cost me $4.59qt. I purchased 4. Once I did the ATF change I noticed a BIG DIFFERENCE. The shifting was a lot smoother, like a new car!!!

I highly recommend it, also, I recommend changing the ATF oil more than usual. To prolong life.

Anyways that's my story, right now my G1 is shifting better than my G2.. I'm going to change its' Tranny oil soon as well.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I guess

changing it every year, isn't that BAD of an idea.
It's $20 bucks to replace.
It aint like it's gonna break the bank.

$20 a year.
Seriously, I know people that spend more on magazines a year. ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I should give that a try too.

On the topic of Honda fluids...

I know I'm supposed to use Honda PS fluid but guess what, use the generic gallong of stuff from Kragen and my rack stops leaking. Haven't had to refill it since September, used to be that I needed to check the level every week. Maybe it turned the various rubber parts to mush that clogged the leaks. Dunno.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good use of Forum

I think you posting this information is excellent. It doesn't matter that if it is already known by a core of members. The idea is to get very useful, practical solutions to problems, because new members are not going to stay on the page just because all you guys are cool. Newbies need help first, then will stay and contribute because of the quality of people in the 'community'.

Sorry, sounds like I'm preaching.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just changed mine and found a BIG difference aswell. I had an accord that used to shift exactly the same way. I wish I would of known about Honda ATF then. aka Dustin in the old forum.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's amazing the difference in HondaATF. I need to put it on my GS Sedan.. but the money flow is still low this month, needs a Tranny Oil change.. Engine Oil change & filter, and a new battery...

I hope the spark plugs are good... And they said to me the Timing Chain was replaced by 'em.. Hmm.... I don't trust Used car dealerships though. (133k on it) :confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
ATF change(long)...from the other forum

Folks,
This procedure I learn from the other Legend forum. I have posted repeatedly a few times about this for the newbie. However, that the search was no longer available, so I will be happy to re-post it here. This is based on the G2 model. G1 probably have more or less amount of ATF. What you need:
4 quarts of ATF Type F
11 quarts of DexronII ATF or DexronIII ATF
3.5 oz of the Smart Blend "Black" additive

Here is the procedure:

1 - Drain your old ATF
2 - Refill with ATF Type F (3.5q. Importan will explain later)
3 - Drive - maybe 5-10 miles - highway included w steady speed

4 - Drain
5 - Refill fresh standard DexronII or III (no brand name)
6 - Drive - maybe 5-10 miles - highway included w steady speed

7 - Repeat Step 4 thru 6, 2 more times

8 - Drain
9 - Refill with genuine Honda ATF (3.5q) and add 3.5 oz of the Smart Blend "Black" bottle

You are done.

Explanation:
Since most of the ATF are still stuck in the torque converter (6qtr in G2), you need to drain-refill many time to thin out your old ATF. This is the alternative to "flush", if possible.

ATF Type F contain stronger cleansing than the normal one, thus it would help cleaning the internal of the AT. Don't leave this stuff too long in the AT, it will eat up your seals.

Since you do multiple drain-refill-drain, why waste money on Honda ATF on the first few refills?

Use the Honda ATF on the last stage.
The Smart Blend "Black" bottle helps modify the friction of the ATF to the level of the Honda's ATF. Do not put too much; you may experience slippage. The Smar Blend can be bought here www.bulkparts.com I paid double that when I bought it at a loca store in Long Island,NY

I recommend a liquid extraction tool like this one: Fluid Evacuator
MITY VAC
No. MTV-7200
from www.awrtools.com
This tool will help you from jacking up and down the car to drain and refill many times in this process.

Good luck
ScottV

·
Registered
293 Posts
While I no opinion on the cleaners you are recommending, I disagree with using the Dexron. I used 9 qts of Honda ATF on my Legend with 3 drain and fills. It costs maybe $35. While that's more expensive than cheap, Dextron fluid, why not spend a few more $$ every few years to insure that most, if not all the fluid in the tranny is Honda fluid? If you do only 1 drain and fill with Honda ATF, you end up with much less of Honda ATF than you do if you do 3 (or even more) drains with Honda ATF. Just don't understand trying to save a few dollars when these trannies are so sensitive to fluid types and so expensive to repair or replace. My $0.02.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just come down to reference

Using genuine or not is just one's reference. Using all Honda ATF would be great. I just share the info I got from the other forum.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree. I went the extra step in flushing until the oil was reasonably clear before adding two changes of Honda atf. No regrets. I do have copies of previous posts if any one needs them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been working in the lube industry for about 10 years and honda requires a high friction modifier fluid. If you use to much regular atf you could damage the trans. At my work it costs about 90 dollars to flush the trans completely, if not lube guard makes an additive package that has all the additives honda fluid has in it so you can use regular atf.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts