Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, but hood release cable is stretched out and barely pops the hood, but also the latch won’t close either. I’ve tried searching and contacting for the replacement part, no avail. There’s also not may Acura's around in junk yards.
Is there another release cable that is the same that I could swap it with, like from a TL or CL?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, but hood release cable is stretched out and barely pops the hood, but also the latch won’t close either. I’ve tried searching and contacting for the replacement part, no avail. There’s also not may Acura's around in junk yards.
Is there another release cable that is the same that I could swap it with, like from a TL or CL?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would suggest that the issue might not be that the cable has stretched such that it cannot be adjusted, (although to an extent it will have stretched slightly over the years). I would be inclined to look at the two ends in more detail, one where the release is pulled inside the car....and the other where it attaches to the bonnet (hood)...

I would be inclined to think that the cable could be 're-made' at the point where it pulls the bonnet (hood) release mechanism. Honda mechanisms are quite robust and very seldom needs any adjustment in their lifetimes unless the vehicle has suffered serious damage and requires a new cable to be fitted.

If the release handle inside the car has been pulled very hard over the years there is likely to be some slight wear to the plastic....although this may not be the case.

The release handle only needs a slight pull to release, (with an audible click heard), the bonnet (hood) mechanism.

One thing that you might try, is disconnecting the cable at the release mechanism end, raising it upwards and injecting some oil into the cable. This should penetrate along it's length and might ease it. Care should be taken with trying to put any oil into the cable at the interior of the car, as it could drip onto the carpet. Lots of old newspaper on the floor would be the best bet for this.

You could remove the entire cable and drip some oil.......or force grease..... into it.

Try the simplest and easiest of solutions first. Oil is cheap enough......and of course WD might easily do the trick....

James Hennighan
Yorkshire, England

1 - 4 of 4 Posts