Acura Legend Forum banner

Hooking the sub up to parking lights..

1K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  ymisoqt 
#1 ·
Many years ago I had a 1994 Civic and I had a small sub hooked up to my parking lights. I have no idea how my friend did it but it was kind of cool. The sub would only work if the parking lights were turned on. I was wondering, if I could do this and then I wouldn't have to replace my Bose system. Any thoughts??

#17 · (Edited)
She could do that, but it would require more wire, time, money, blah blah.. all that stuff. Just tap into the remote wire leading to your power antenna(it's the same wire and even closer to the subs). Use one of those taps where you don't have to cut the wire, just crimp the two together. As for her signal she can basically do the same to the speaker wire in the rear to get a signal to the amp.

What most told you is great advice. You can add a sub without changing everything, prob just trying to get more money out of you(I really don't like when that's done). Go somewhere else with your newfound knowledge and inform them what you want done and how much they will charge.

#4 ·
What's wrong with your Bose system that you think this would solve it? Are you just looking for more bass by adding a small sub to the system but you're not sure what to use for a remote turn on?

It sounds like your old setup was just a relay. If I have it right, I think you can use the parking light switch +12v to the switched pole on the relay and the output pole of the relay to the sub amp + the parking lights.

#5 ·
wouldnt recommend it because the parking light circuit is only setup to handle so much power (what is it, a 10 amp fuse?). if you were going to do it, it should be a very small sub but i still dont recommend it. you can just wire up a sub the normal way (from the battery) and put an inline switch if you want to be able to turn it on and off

#7 ·
I don't really care about turning it on and off. But the stereo shop told me I couldn't get a sub because then my bose system and 6 disc won't work. I'm just trying to figure out how to have a decent sub and keep the bose system. I just thought this might be a way around it.

#8 ·
they don't know what they are talking about. all you need is a wiring diagram of the stock bose amp wiring. figure out which are the signal wires. and wire them into the high inputs on the amp. and for power. wire the amp correctly per manufacturers instructions.

#9 ·
So all I need is a new sub? And it will work with my existing Bose amp? All this time I've been trying to figure out how to get a little more bass without redoing the entire thing. Any suggestions on a sub? I just want something that's not ridiculously loud, but sounds good.

#10 ·
You can wire the stand alone sub amp's remote wire to any + switched power source such as the parking light switch power wire. The amp will still be fed constant power from its constant power terminal directly from the battery and only come on when the p lights are on.

The amps remote circuit controls the amps internal relay, when power is applied typically from switched on ignition it allows the amp to use power from its direct battery source. All quality after market sub amps require at least a 10 guage power wire direct from the battery for its constant power source.

The idea of turning the sub amp on by switching on the parking lights is a different route that most would go, but whatever.

Steal audio signal from one of the rear speakers or better yet before it enters the amp (behind rear seat, drivers side) for the sub amp. Your not going for a high end system, but it will still give you the bass your looking for without costing or replacing a lot.

You need sub amp power&ground wire kit+sub amp+sub&box & some misc wire.

~Dv8

#11 ·
dv8 answered it for me.. no you don't want to try to pull power from the factory amp for an auxilary sub.

#12 ·
No, you need to purchace the following to make it work: A sub box, a subwoffer, a 1 channel amplifier, a RA converter that splices into one of your speeker power & ground to create a signal (you can get this at circut city or your stereo shop, just tell them you want to put a system in your car and you don't wan't to change your head unit), and a amp wiring kit (you can get this at walmart for like $20, its made my schoshe). if you want you can pm me and i will instruct you how to hook it up saving you $$$$$$$!

#13 ·
Thanks! I've been racking my brain on how I can do this because I don't want to replace what I have right now. Maybe sometime in the future, I don't know. But those guys at the stereo shop were like, it's impossible, you have to get a whole new system.

#14 ·
Most shops like that think this Bose system has independent amps per speaker. It doesn't. At least my LS didn't
The best way to get really good-loud sound is to replace everything, but a simple sub system isn't hard to get going on the stock setup.

~Dv8

#15 ·
Well, you can say this is just a temporary thing. But I have spent so much on my car already this year, that a really good setup is going to have to wait. I'm working on the smaller things and the major engine work this year (the bitch is back in the shop this week), next year is wheels and sound. So, I just want a little louder sound while I wait ;)

#16 ·
ok the "guys at the shop" just want your money. look around on craiglist. find someone selling a 2 channel or mono amp. and wire it like we've all said and you'll be golden.

my system has now cost me a total of 400 bucks ( including a 200 dollar HU) the rest was wiring. and i'll put it up against anyone who claims 1000 watts.

its not about money. or pure power. its about set up.
i wish you lived closer. stereos are my hobby. and i'd really like to help you with your car.

#18 ·
ok the "guys at the shop" just want your money. look around on craiglist. find someone selling a 2 channel or mono amp. and wire it like we've all said and you'll be golden.

my system has now cost me a total of 400 bucks ( including a 200 dollar HU) the rest was wiring. and i'll put it up against anyone who claims 1000 watts.

its not about money. or pure power. its about set up.
i wish you lived closer. stereos are my hobby. and i'd really like to help you with your car.
Shit, I wish you lived closer! When I do go for a good setup, I'm probably going to get screwed because I don't know shit about stereos.

#19 ·
ok people need to stop telling her about a remote wire. we're beyond that.. and when it comes time to do a system hit me up via PM. one of my closest friends is a dealer for elemental designs and we do ALOT of installs together

i'll atleast do what i can to get you good equipment at better than "best buy" prices.

maybe i'll even make a step by step DIY for removing stock system and installing a full aftermarket set up.

gotta find a local legendeer who is all stock but looking to upgrade to all aftermarket.. and will let me use their car for my DIY since mine is long since done.

i'll definitely give the hook up

#20 ·
Weeeellll, I just may have to keep that in mind ;) I have a house in Sac, and we try to make yearly trips up there to visit friends and check on things....Maybe I'll drive instead of fly next time. Good equipment+good prices+good install=trip well worth it!

#21 ·
if you're gonna put a sub in..... do it right! if you tap into random stuff ie: corner lights, antennas or whatever, you could ground something out and just screw yourself... go with "dasficktauf" and do it right!

#22 ·
I had no idea the parking light thing was bad! Basically I've just been racking my brain as to how I can have a temp sub for the next 6 months or so, until I do the whole system.

Thanks guys, for your input. I didn't realize the parking light thing was so f'd! :giggle: Of course, I didn't really care much for my civic either! I would love to do the whole thing right now, but as most of you have read on the forum, I have had a lot of work done to my car at this point. For those of you that don't know how much money my car has sucked out of me, I've had new hg, wp, tb, rear main seal, differential seal, a boot of some sort (because the bitch needed new shoes I guess :giggle: )oh don't forget about the new radiator cap! paint, tint, speakers and covers, bought some tails that are getting blacked out (waiting on those) and she's in for a $650 oil pan fix. Don't stop me now!! Theres more, but I think I've blacked it out, it's too much $$ to think about. Who ever said Legends are cheap?? I swear, I will get a good system, but I'm running out of money right now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.