Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
damn, that is terrible...this kind of thing happens so often and it makes me wonder all the time when i hear or see things like this whether street racing is even worth it all just to prove a car is faster than the others or just for the hell of it when the consequences can be so deadly.

i have had friends and people i used to know from school who have either been killed or badly hurt in accidents...guys who have flew out of car windshields for not wearing seat belts, one guy who had a hole in his lung after getting in a huge wreck and another died drunk driving.

drunk driving by far is the biggest killer, and street racing is pretty high up there too i'm sure...next time ya race or think about driving drunk just think about the consequences:

-your car getting totalled after so much money and work put in it
-you getting killed
-others getting killed and you being held responsible
-going to jail
-never having a license again

and i always hear people talking about getting their cars as fast as they can and i understand that because i have done that myself too...but think about the consequences, ANY single mistake at 130 or more miles per hour and that is it...you will be lucky to survive.

i know it's easier said than done, but it's best to save it for the real tracks to go racing.

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Anyone seen the morgue picture of Lisa Lopes? Or the picttures of that ferrari crash that litterally shredded the occupants? Keep it on the track guys. HS cruising is one thing but racing is another.

·
Registered
702 Posts
ouch, yeah i saw the picture of lisa lopes, i thought it was fake first when one of my coworkers showed it to me...she looked really bad, especially her face.

i did not see the ferarri one, but i did see the one several weeks ago where this 16 year old kid out in maryland who had only had his license two weeks was racing another car in his older model integra at 100+ mph and he went out of control and crashed head on into a tree and was killed.

one more thing i have to add is one thing even stupider than racing on the streets is racing on the streets with people you know or care about in the car...because i know if it was me and i crashed and my passengers died and i was the only one who survived, i would wish i had been killed rather than have it on my conscience for the rest of my life....because it is one thing to risk the lives of all the people on the streets, but to risk that of those you know and care about simply to try to show off or prove that your car is faster or better.

and believe me, i am not one to be talking about this kind of stuff because i have had my share of races and i know how it usually is a spur of the moment thing off the light or down the freeway, but it really is something to think about.

peace

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
DaTimez420 said:
one more thing i have to add is one thing even stupider than racing on the streets is racing on the streets with people you know or care about in the car...because i know if it was me and i crashed and my passengers died and i was the only one who survived, i would wish i had been killed rather than have it on my conscience for the rest of my life....because it is one thing to risk the lives of all the people on the streets, but to risk that of those you know and care about simply to try to show off or prove that your car is faster or better.
i know exactly how you feel. keep it real
peace
Tnelson

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't wanna sound like a complete a**hole here, and I do feel very bad for anyone who gets hurt racing, but I believe that if the racing is organized, even though it is illegal, it is safe. Here in the Bay Area, when we race, it's very late at night, far out in the cut, no other traffic around, and only on a 1/4 mile basis in which most cars don't break 115 mph. To me, this is entirely justfiable. I haven't yet seen one person get hurt. What I don't like is when people race through traffic. Can't justify that for a second.

-GR

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
OK fine. How do you restrict traffic on public roads (to avoid collisions)? Where are your safety and rescue vehicles? At least you got that at the track (it gives you a chance of surviving a crash).

People who think their immortal. :confused:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Dave C ver2.0 said:
OK fine. How do you restrict traffic on public roads (to avoid collisions)? Where are your safety and rescue vehicles? At least you got that at the track (it gives you a chance of surviving a crash).

People who think their immortal. :confused:
As long as I've been going out there, I haven't seen ONE passer by vehicle on that road. It's a completely industrial street that is totally abondoned at night. Like I also said earlier, I haven't yet seen one accident there. There is no need for rescue vehicles when cars are driving in a straight line for a 1/4 mile. My personal view on this, and I mean NO DISREPECT BY THIS AT ALL, is that unless you have been out there with us, you can't comment on how dangerous it is. Going out to the track is fine, but i'm not down to spend 20 bucks to wait four hours and get two runs out of it. Sorry, that's just not worth my time or money. And I don't think I'm immortal, I know things can go wrong, but the chance of something going wrong out there is lower than something going wrong in everyday traffic. Plus, in order to enjoy life you have to take some risks. That's just how it is. If the cops would help us out here and close off that damn street that no one uses anyway for a few hours a night, we wouldn't have to "break the law", but they have better things to do like give out fix tickets for window tint :rolleyes: . Sorry about the long post, but I just hate it when people think we're doing stupid a** s*** and we're completely reckless without ever being out there and seeing it in person.

-GR

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Dave C ver2.0 said:
Anyone seen the morgue picture of Lisa Lopes? Or the picttures of that ferrari crash that litterally shredded the occupants? Keep it on the track guys. HS cruising is one thing but racing is another.
Just how do you go about seeing morgue pictures like that? Uggghh... Do they show them? I thought stuff like this was like confidential or something...???

·
Registered
702 Posts
just search for it on the internet and you'll find it. use keywords that include like morgue picture lisa left eye, that kind of thing.

and it does not look good!

usually things like this would not be released out of respect, but the accident happened in honduras so i guess they got no morals there or do whatever they want, but it did get released.

·
Registered
332 Posts
GenIILegend said:
I don't wanna sound like a complete a**hole here, and I do feel very bad for anyone who gets hurt racing, but I believe that if the racing is organized, even though it is illegal, it is safe. Here in the Bay Area, when we race, it's very late at night, far out in the cut, no other traffic around, and only on a 1/4 mile basis in which most cars don't break 115 mph. To me, this is entirely justfiable. I haven't yet seen one person get hurt. What I don't like is when people race through traffic. Can't justify that for a second.

-GR
innocent victims are still killed even when these "precautions" are taken. did you not hear about the person killed on Mission Blvd in Union City last year? She was coming off her shift at a retirement home at about 4AM, coming out of the driveway turning left onto Mission. Some street racers hit her. She died. Don't remember what happened to the guys that hit her.... or the one that got away.

street racing is dangerous no matter what "precautions" you take. for the safety of others (and yourself) I hope you quit (be it by choice or force).

·
Registered
191 Posts
katonk said:

innocent victims are still killed even when these "precautions" are taken. did you not hear about the person killed on Mission Blvd in Union City last year? She was coming off her shift at a retirement home at about 4AM, coming out of the driveway turning left onto Mission. Some street racers hit her. She died. Don't remember what happened to the guys that hit her.... or the one that got away.

street racing is dangerous no matter what "precautions" you take. for the safety of others (and yourself) I hope you quit (be it by choice or force).
Well, I'm not sure how I can possibly make myself any more clear, but I'll try. There are absolutely no buildings, pretty much no civilization where we race. It might as well be in the middle of a desert. If those who race get hurt, I don't see that as a major problem anyway. It's like playing football, you get hurt for the love of the game. I realize that sometimes people can die (very rarely) but you can die doing a lot of things. I'm sure there are quite a few people killed each year in routine plane trips. Anyway, if no one participated in street racing, what's the point of modifying our Legends then? Are you just gonna spend thousands of dollars to know that your car is fast and never use it? The track goes hand in hand with racing, it isn't a substitute. And until the f*ckin pigs that we call law enforcement give us a different outlet, they'll just have to deal with it. They're the ones being entirely ignorant here, not us. I will defend my position on this matter to whoever wants to challenge it.

-GR

·
Registered
366 Posts
:p

GEN11...i'm with you man! I've been out there too...not to race but just to watch. It's pretty safe unless you got a bunch of dumbas;ses who wants to be reckless. Other than that...it's pretty cool...and fun to watch.

·
Registered
191 Posts
G2-GS said:
:p

GEN11...i'm with you man! I've been out there too...not to race but just to watch. It's pretty safe unless you got a bunch of dumbas;ses who wants to be reckless. Other than that...it's pretty cool...and fun to watch.
THANK YOU!!! Finally, someone that's actually been out there and guess what... they agree with me! Please, before you claim to know all the statistics on racing accidents, just go out there and see it for yourself. I have seen video of people gathering and racing on populated streets, which is pure idiocy, but that's not what most of us do. Just give it a chance u will see what I mean. Thank you guys for bringing up this topic cuz it always makes me want to prove a point. Keep in mind that I respect each and every one of your opinions, it's just that I really think that before you can comment on something like this, u really gotta see it for yourself :) .

-GR

·
Registered
332 Posts
GenIILegend said:

if no one participated in street racing, what's the point of modifying our Legends then?
-GR
Why modify your car if you're not gonna street race?
Why buy an Eclipse when a Talon is the same thing?
Why drive a Legend when a Civic fits the bill?
Why put on a custom front bumper if the stock one is fine?
Why eat a Big Mac when you can have a Whopper?
Why buy 3-ply when single ply works just as well?

answer.... personal preference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.