Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only get 200 per tank i have a 91 legend coupe auto, whats the deal??? had a tune up done about 3 months ago

G

·
There are a few reasons for bad gas mileage.

1. "Spirited" driving?
2. Do you idle long?
3. Do you drive on a lot of hills?
4. Tire Pressure?
5. Bad Spark Plugs?
6. o2 sensor?
7. Air Filter?
8. Fuel Filter?

Those are a few things that I can think off.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I get this too for some reason, i have a 91 sedan, about 200-300 per tank, that is kinda low. I'll check it out later this week.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the fuel filter i got replaced and had no change , spirited driving? no i drive nicely no heavy foot, maybe the o2 sensor, the air filter is a k&N drop in. but 200 per tank is really bad thats around 11 mpg , how do i find out ??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its 200 to the drop im sure of it , i hear most get 350+ i have 120,000 miles and im always the cruiser, do those fuel cleaners work at all that you put in before every fuel tank??

G

·
I thought that getting like 200 to a tank is normal :p. Then again I drive pretty spritited :). I should probably try doing some BG44K anyways to clean out my fuel stuff.

·
187 Posts
Long Distance MPG calculator

When I drive around town (which consists of back and forth from school and work, about 5~10 miles each way), I get about 200 to 250 miles to the tank. But then again, when i drive down from Berkeley to Los Angeles, crusing at about 80 to 85mph, i go the entire strech of 400 miles on a single tank. Assuming about 3 gallons are left before my fuellight comes on, that figures in at about 27 mpg on straight highway...

·
Registered
702 Posts
I get around 230-250 miles per tank, I have a 94 sedan, and I do floor it every now and then but lately been cruising mostly...however, 99% of mine is city driving.

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
Re: Long Distance MPG calculator

mfjonny said:
When I drive around town (which consists of back and forth from school and work, about 5~10 miles each way), I get about 200 to 250 miles to the tank. But then again, when i drive down from Berkeley to Los Angeles, crusing at about 80 to 85mph, i go the entire strech of 400 miles on a single tank. Assuming about 3 gallons are left before my fuellight comes on, that figures in at about 27 mpg on straight highway...
Dude, you can't assume anything. The only way to get accurate results is to fill the tank until the pump shuts itself off. Reset your trip meter to zero. Then at your next fill up, fill until the pump shuts itself off and then divide the mileage shown on your trip meter by the number of gallons you just put in. That's you MPG.

I usually get 18-20mpg with my spirited driving habits in the city and on the freeway. 27 is really high if you actually got that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
excess mpg

you are supposed to get 18 mpg arround town and 27 mpg on a trip.but i am not sure if that is US or imperial gallons.i have a 92 coupe auto too.
i looked initially at fuel consumption too but come to the conclusion that they are a heavy car and quite frankly use a lot of gas.
I changed to 96 octane,that helped.The o2 sensors checked out ok.From what i can fiqure out the biggest contributor is the cold start.In my opinion the ecu keeps the mixture too rich for too long on warm up.I am thinking about tricking my temp sensor from about 20 sec's after startup by putting a resistor across it .
I haven't really looked into it in depth but for 2 min or until hot it
fair dumps it in.Some of the guys talk about great mileage,maybe type 2 motors and i think they do a lot of highway stuff and hot mileage.
let me knowif you have a break thru in better consumtion

jt

·
I'van der Rohe
12,803 Posts
you could have a serious problem. i know i can barely make it to 200 mile on the Tripometer before i have to refill. i dont drive excessivle fast all the time. most of the time i cruize from 65-90mph. mostly 70-75MPH with slow days and fast days. i've only floored it once the entire time i've had the car. but where i live its almost like every road you have to get on is a country road or highway theres no "urbanity" (ya'll like my new word:D) to my area. so its like 10-13 mpg on the high way.

the prob is i have a blown head gasket and that is part of the reason im having such horible gas mileage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's funny...

I brought my car in to the local Acura dealership last week ('94 Coupe - Type II) and told him my complaints about fuel economy..

"So, how many miles ARE you getting then on a full tank?"

"Oh, if I'm lucky if I break 200. If it's mostly freeway, 250."

"Tune-up done?"

"yup"

"Oil change?"

"yup"

"Fuel filter, injections, etc?"

"Yup"

"Yeah, 200-250 sounds about right. These cars aren't meant to get fuel economy like a Civic."

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
This will make you sick. 360-380 per tank

200 miles per tank sound crazy to me. I recently got a tune-up,fuel filter, air filter change, fuel & transmission flush and on a full tank which is 16.0 gallons, I'm getting 360-380 miles on 1 tank. Note this: the Legends are equiped with 18 gallon tanks according to the brocheure I have. And I live in Albuquerque NM where the altitude is high. I have a G2 Coupe automatic. I'm a city driver. 18 miles a day round trip to work.

So, this buisness of 200-250 is normal. Not sre bout that!!! I recommend not using the cheap gas (92 octane or better) and getting the basics done as I listed above, tune up, fule system flush, etc..

·
Registered
51 Posts
1995 automatic LS sedan with 105,000 miles. 250 - 300 is the average mixed use tank. Has been since I got it 4 years ago with 34,000 miles.

This is a heavy car with a performance engine. Got to feed the ponies to move the car.

Bob

·
Registered
671 Posts
i have always wondered if there is some difference between the coupe and sedan... i had a '95 6-speed coupe before, and i would get ~300-350 miles to a tank with city driving, and ~400-450 miles to a tank on the freeway. now, with my '94 6-speed gs sedan, i am getting ~250 city, and ~350 highway per tank. this is a *huge* discrepancy between the two, and the only difference between the cars (besides the obvious coupe/sedan) is that i have an intake and remus on my sedan now.

a couple of other things... grahn and bread were right about determining gas mileage - you have to do it like that in order to get an accurate figure. otherwise, you have no way of telling how much gas you actually used. cakedaddy - i found out by experience that our cars have an 18 gallon tank : ) i filled up at one point and put in 17.6 gallons (the fuel light had been on for a while...).

wally

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
wallstrum said:
i have always wondered if there is some difference between the coupe and sedan... i had a '95 6-speed coupe before, and i would get ~300-350 miles to a tank with city driving, and ~400-450 miles to a tank on the freeway. now, with my '94 6-speed gs sedan, i am getting ~250 city, and ~350 highway per tank. this is a *huge* discrepancy between the two, and the only difference between the cars (besides the obvious coupe/sedan) is that i have an intake and remus on my sedan now.

a couple of other things... grahn and bread were right about determining gas mileage - you have to do it like that in order to get an accurate figure. otherwise, you have no way of telling how much gas you actually used. cakedaddy - i found out by experience that our cars have an 18 gallon tank : ) i filled up at one point and put in 17.6 gallons (the fuel light had been on for a while...).

wally
Wallstrum,

Thats pushing it. Lucky you didn't run out of gas. Getting a fuel injected car to restart after an empty tank is hell!!! Hey, If you ever want to unload that blk/gs 6sp. Holla at me.:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
As I stated earlier, the response I received from the Acura Service Manager pretty much told me, "Tough, that's the way the car runs."

What I didn't state that this was the third dealership I've brought my Type II '94 Coupe into regarding my fuel "issues" and each one has given me pretty much the same response.

Asides from the proper maintenance, tune-ups, driving habits (I'm pretty conservative with my driving), octane rating (ONLY 92 goes in) suggestions, no one has been able to resolve the big mystery of mileage.

Ironically, it seems more than a few of us have this as an issue with our Legends.

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
My 92 5-spd coupe gets around 300 a tank. City and Interstate. I measured it a few days ago. I was shocked to find a MPG of 21. I was sure there was something matter with my car. I am actually scared to calculate it again. I had a 91 Buick Lesabre with a 3.8L v6 that got 38 MPG. I know that the overdrive in an automatic is a higher gear than most manuals, so they get better fuel efficiency on the interstae. But 21? Come on. I have done all the aformentioned maintainance. Anna is about to be at the dealer for some other stuff, so I might ask them.
Later!
Lee

·
Registered
117 Posts
My take on this...

Ok I always hit my trip odo. when I fill up, so right now I have 288mi on the clock with the gas needle on the white line closest to the bottom (1/4 tank).

This seems pretty good to me...

The car is not in perfect shape it may have been in a small front ender and it has definately lived it's 10 years. There seems to be something wrong if you guys can't pull atleast 300 on the trip odo. before the gas light is close to going on.

Mine:
18 gal * 3/4 Tank = 13.5 gal
288 mi. / 13.5 gal = 21.3 on mixed city and highway.

Optimal:
Acura says 18 city / 26 hwy

So if you say 33% city and 67% Hwy

(.33 * 18) + (.66 * 26) = 23.1 would be the optimal gas milage with 1/3 city driving and you don't go wild with the accellerator which I'm sure most of us do!

-Ben

1 - 20 of 62 Posts