Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
from memory on my 95 coupe

Although I did this without assistance.... having someone to hold the glove box in place is VERY HELPFUL.

Open the glove box and detach the leather that covers the top of the glove box. It is secured by those metal clips which insert into a thin slotted hole and are self securing. Let the leather rest in the glove box.

You will find 3 or 4 plastic screws under the glove box area which supports a cosmetic dash pastics. Once removed you will see three screws just below the glove box that face the passenger seat. With the glove box closed, remove the screws. My glove box happened to stay secure without assistance, however yours may not.

YOU MUST LAY ON YOUR BACK ON THE PASSENGER FLOOR BOARD at this point to gain access to behind the glove box. Behind the glove box there is a white cord that attached to a housed spring that is attached to the rear of the glove box. This is what prevents your glove box from slamming down when opened.

Anyways, both end of this cord are crimped with a loop. I found it easiest to remove the loop from the plastic clip on the car vs the glove box.

Once the glove box is removed, you will see a vertical aluminum cover that has two screws attaching it to the left of the blower. First, remove the snap type connectors from this cover and set them aside. remove the cover and you will see the filter.

Have a vacuum cleaner ready as you will most likely have stuff that has accumulated on the blower side of the filter that you do not want to have blown into the ducts. Vacuum, then turn on your blower - debris will fly out of your ducts and from the bottom. At this point I shot some lysol on the exterior of the car until I smelled it in the cabin.

Insert a new filter, replace cover and use a bit more lysol. I noticed a DRAMATIC IMPROVEMENT in air flow as my filter was clogged with debris.

Then just reverse the removal process. This whole ordeal took 15 minutes MAX - with a few minutes spent on removing that damn cord. Many people break the bracket that secures the cord or the cord itself - so be carefull. A glove box that slams down is very annoying.

good luck. if you need verbal assistance. email me at [email protected] if you need verbal assistance with this project.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
744 Posts
Need help on this answer... ChrisK, Infinite?

OhMyGodItsDanny

I believe I read through a post that although 91s did not initially come with a filter, an OE filter can be installed in the same slot.

I would say that my filter was easily 40% clogged so I noticed a DRAMATIC improvement of air flow and quality.

Ladies and Gents, this process literally took minutes. I did think it was going to be some long drawn out process, but it wasn't. Some people were talking about there being alot of screws and to watch out for the SRS components. There aren't many screws at all and you do not even touch the SRS components.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
127 Posts
Oh my Good Lord! I just did this (you're right, it did only take about 10 minutes) and the difference is so night-and-day, it's not even funny. When I pulled my filter out, I had a huge pile of crap fall onto the floor. Dug around in there with my hand for a bit, and when it was all said and done, I had a normal sandwich-sized Ziploc bag full of crap. The filter was probably 60-70% clogged.

Cranked it up the first time, and the force of the air practically blew me into the back seat. With this much pressure, I can't see ever needing to crank the fan speed all the way up.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Where can we get a new filter, how much does it usually cost?

Anyway to repair the "thing" that keeps your GloveBox from slamming down, mine slams down, I hate it :(

·
Registered
851 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
Where can we get a new filter, how much does it usually cost?

Anyway to repair the "thing" that keeps your GloveBox from slamming down, mine slams down, I hate it :(
This is what I did with my broken cord of the glove box damper. Just buy at radio shack or electronic shop a bullet connector, and you can crimp the broken cord together again, and you will get the same feeling. I did it on mine, and works wonderfully, no more slamming glovebox, and so far so good.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You can get the filter at any Acura dealer. Part number is 79370-SP0-H01, price at mine was $17.11.

As for the "thing"... my cord was still in one piece, but the white piece that clips to the frame of the car was broken in half. I got some epoxy and glued it back together, and for good measure I stuck some small plastic pieces across the crack (kinda like a bandaid) and put a layer of epoxy across that as well. I think the crack is stronger than the rest of the plastic now! ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Heh, looks like I spoke too soon. I just got it installed back in the car, and I got exactly one opening before the piece snapped in two, right where the old crack was.

So, being the ever creative fella that I am, I turned to the second most important thing to have in your toolbox... cable ties! (The first being duct tape, of course).

I started by chaining together about 8 of the little bastards, leaving them pretty loose. Then, I put the loop of the string over a long, skinny bolt, then threaded a nut on it to keep it in place. The last cable tie goes around the string/bolt combo, and then through the last cable tie loop in the chain. (The first one is attached to the body, by the way).

Then, with some sequential tightening of the cable ties, I pulled the string tight, and now it works like a charm again.

Man, it's nice to have that fixed. Mine has been slamming open for the last year and a half. No more!

Oh, and sorry if that description makes no sense. I would have taken a picture, but my wife has the digital camera out in California. To get a mental picture of what I did, imagine a shoe with the laces pretty loose. Now imagine that every place the laces cross is a new cable tie. Starting at one end, just pull one tight and move on to the next one until they're all tight, and voila!

·
Registered
169 Posts
KNLNGUS said:

Once the glove box is removed, you will see a vertical aluminum cover that has two screws attaching it to the left of the blower. First, remove the snap type connectors from this cover and set them aside. remove the cover and you will see the filter.

KNLNGUS
where is this vertical aluminum cover? what color is it? i see a horizontal one thats it, and its silver? can anyone help.... i feel pathetic that i cant do this since everyones saying its so easy

·
Registered
127 Posts
Don't feel bad. I couldn't find it either, until I looked at the picture in a Haynes manual.

In my car, behind the glove box, there are basically two large "boxes". The vertical cover is right smack in between them, and it has at least one wire attached to it, running vertically as well. There are two screws, one in the top right, and one in the bottom left.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's silver, with (if I remember correctly) a black-sheathed wire running up and down, attached to the silver piece with a red clip.

I tried to draw it in ASCII art, but it showed up like caca...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Now I am curious as hell to find out what's stuck in MY filter. I didn't even know there was one for the interior. My girl drives a 98 civic, and when she turns on her fan, my hair blows back (and I have about as much hair as this guy :D ) but now I know why my luxury "V"-hicle does not. I am gonna see if I can track down one of these filters tomorrow. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
127 Posts
pYmp - I didn't even replace mine. It's not much as far as a filter goes. It's not like an air filter, or even the filter in your furnace. Mine looked like corrugated cardboard when you look at it from the edge. You could almost pass a Q-tip through the holes. I just took it out, cleaned out the hole, shook it off good, and shoved it right back in there.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Soundsa like a plan my man! I was gonna look at it in the morning before I bought a new one. I was hoping I could do that. Sometimes I can be, well chp (too cheap to buy a vowel :D ), but if it saves me a buck life is good. Besides, if I can clean it out 90 percent, the it's 90% cleaner than it was.:cool:

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
yes definately post a picture, manual or something because you guys got me curious and ready to clean out my filter.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Here's a scan of the Haynes manual. This is both pictures, so there's nothing more to show you. I added a little commentary of my own to help give you a point of reference...

Here's what the manual has to say about this procedure.

1. Boring description of the location.

2. Refer to Chapter 11 for removal of the glove compartment assembly.

3. Remove the screws and the blower housing cover (see illustration).

4. Remove the bracket and slide the filter assembly out of the housing (see illustration).

5. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.

That's really all it says.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts