Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do u know when the clutch is going bad?
how much does it cost to replace, and what' the difference between a stock clutch and a racing clutch?

thanks

·
Registered
744 Posts
When you provide input to the gas pedal (in gear) and you notice the RPMs rise but your speed remains constant.

You should be able to accelerate in 6th gear. Granted, 6th gear is among the overdrive gears but you still should be able to accelerate from any RPM (but don't get carried away and try to accelerate from 1000RPM) like at highway speeds. Your input should provide steady predictable acceleration.

You could be looking at roughly 500 in parts

friction disk
pressure plate
throwout bearing
pilot bearing

not including the man trans fluid, misc nuts which you will need to replace, etc.

at Acura of Augusta.

Normally a stock OE friction disk will look like a plate vs a stage II or III which will be 6 and 4 puck star style. The material in each puck is MUCH MUCH different than stock material and one of the biggest things that will be greatly different is the pressure plate pressure. Yes... I said that right. Stock pressure plate is 1700lbs and stage II is 2500lbs and stage III is good near 2850-3000.

For your 6spd. STAY AWAY FROM "E"CLUTCHMASTERS (AKA eCLUTCHMASTERS.COM) THEY PHUCT ME OUT OF $475.00 ON A STAGE II CAUSE THE HUB ON THE FRICTION DISC DID NOT LOOK EXACTLY LIKE OE.

The shaft that comes out of the trans into the bell housing that mounts to the rear of the engine will have a wide section that drops down into a thinner section of shaft that has splines. The HUB unit on the friction disc should accomodate the arear on the shaft that reduces - if you can grasp that picture.

So if you are going with a racing clutch... stay with Centerforce or Clutchmasters (which is not the same company as eCLUTCHMASTERS).

Also... if you go with a racing clutch... be prepared for the possibility of having to replace your clutch mastercylinder and slave cylinder as well.

KNLNGUS

and the rest would be labor.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think that my 91 5 speed coupe is getting close to needing a new clutch soon. Its at 170K and i know its the original clutch still. I don't have any problem where the rpms are reving up evening when its in gear like you described but the clutch is beginning to engage more towards the top of the pedal movement instead of the middle like it was when i got it 3 years ago. I think that i would like to go with something alittle better then just the OEM clutch. Which brand would you recommend to go with?
Thanks
Patrick

·
Registered
744 Posts
Of course you know that Acura does not make ANY of the material in the OE Clutch "kit."

In fact... if you buy a clutch kit from a known and respected place (Clutchmasters or Centerforce) you stand a good chance of getting the same pressure plate that you would have received if you ordered through Acura of Augusta - ONLY the fingers on the pressure plate that actually provide the pressure will have been bent inward by a hydraulic machine that stamps the bend to provide the increase in lbs - this is especially true if you go with a stage II. Now, of course the friction disk will look WAY different in appearance BUT THE HUB should look like the stock OE HUB. It is very important that the hub part that faces the transmission look identical - whereas the front can be short or long like OE - either way... the front part of the HUB does not make contact with the flywheel ONLY the friction disk or puck material.

I recommend clutchmasters or centerforce if you want to go with a stage II (or III for that matter - but I don't know how modded your joint is) - but in all actuality... if you want the stock feel - which obviously has lasted you a good many miles - then just ordered OE from A of A.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
To add to this........

I phoned acura out of curiosity one day and asked how much a clutch repair would be...... anyways, they told me the price of the pressure plate etc, and then said the dual mast flywheel for the six speed tranny was $1500...... NOw it does not surprise me because it is acura, but are there any aftermarket light-weight flywheels availible for the 6 speed if we get stuck having to replace it?? Also, could you get a custom flywheel made for the car??

·
Registered
744 Posts
Mckenzie93... I wouldn't be surprised if a HUGE company like Beck/ Arnley or Standard Flywheels doesn't in fact make the dual mass sprung flywheel. But the only true way to get a price less that acura of augusta or acuraautomotiveparts is to either have a resellers license and see if Acura of Augusta would give you jobber pricing or know what specific company manufactures the flywheel and see if they sell direct to the public. Either way... obviously Honda is afforded corporate pricing so... I doubt you would get pricing better than Honda does from the true OEM (off the street).

Of course money talks and bull walks - but - do not know if a race shop with the ability to produce flywheels would do a one off. But like I said... money talks.

KNLNGUS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.