Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Eli,
It's bolted solid, computer controlled timing. If it's off there IS a way to adjust but it involves drilling out a rivet to do and I don't recall the exact component, would have to check the Helms manual. Just check timing to see if it's within spec. It should be.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The timing adjustment is located in a black plastic box above the master cylinder, about 8" long and 4" wide. You should not have to adjust the timing unless you've done something to disturb it. Once you take the black cover off, there is this 2" round brass color cover that covers a screw that adjusts the timing. There isn't much room and you have to drill out the rivets holding this cover to get at the adjustment screw. Once you've adjusted, you can replace rivets with small screwbolts.
Check your manual. If you need further direction, e-mail me.

Good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
vancity represent...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can you please show/describe to me where the ignition timing adjustment screw is?
1.Anywhere here?
2.Do any plugs need to be jumped in order to read the timing?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Can you please show/describe to me where the ignition timing adjustment screw is?

1.Anywhere here?
2.Do any plugs need to be jumped in order to read the timing?

Thanks!!
I've got it circled in RED/arrows for you... unit is fastened with two rivets <= they must be drilled out; only then you can make your adjustment... and NO jumping on any of the plug is required.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I've got it circled in RED/arrows for you... unit is fastened with two rivets <= they must be drilled out; only then you can make your adjustment... and NO jumping on any of the plug is required.

There it is. After I drilled the rivets to remove the cover, I drilled a hole in the cover and reassembled it. The hole in the cover is for screwdriver access for next time.

Big deal....there isn't much adjustment anyway. +/- 3 degrees, IIRC.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
After I drilled the rivets to remove the cover, I drilled a hole in the cover. The hole in the cover is for screwdriver access for next time.

Big deal....there isn't much adjustment anyway. +/- 3 degrees, IIRC.
^^^ Very clever my friend :thumbsup: ...and yep I'd agree, not a whole lot in terms of adjustment. But, if you can keep all of the emission components in good working order by performing necessary interval maintenance, the ECU will pretty much compensate deviated signals ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is there a way to tell if the ecu compensated for the timing screw change?

Why would Acura waste $5 to put in a timing adjustment screw if the ecu makes all the adjustments?

·
Registered
4,253 Posts

Why would Acura waste $5 to put in a timing adjustment screw if the ecu makes all the adjustments?
Timing light would (and should) verify all changes made regarding timing... and, the adjustment screw (at least to my understanding) is for redundancy purposes. Any out of telerance signal(s) detected by the ECU will trigger it to go into "limp mode" thus affecting efficiency.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts

My guess is that the timing isn't spot on when the car is assembled due to assembly tolerances, etc. The timing adjustment pot is there to dial it in on the assembly line once the engine is installed and running.

Then the cover is riveted to the pot. This almost "permanent" sealing or anti-tampering device put over the pot tells me that it's not made to be messed with on a regular basis.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
The cover is riveted to the pot. This almost "permanent" sealing or anti-tampering device put over the pot tells me that it's not made to be messed with on a regular basis.
^^^ True that... just keep them emission components functioning properly :yes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.