Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOW THE FLARK DO YOU GET THE CLUSTER OUT???

I am trying to install my indiglo guages, and have the bottom piece off, but how do you actually get the cluster out? There seems to be a screw that is inaccessable due to the ignition right friggin in front of it, but the guages seems to be held in by more than that.
Arg.
Any help would be great

·
Registered
307 Posts
This is easy. But you have to know where to look :).

Go to this site :http://www.legend.ac/diy/meter/meter_1.html

There are pictures there of where the screws are at. However, the pictures are for a JDM Legend, but the screws are similar.

You take off the bottom plate that you are talking about. Then crawl up under the dash and look up on either side of the steering column. There is one screw to the left of the column that is easy and the other one is right around where the ignition is. After you have those removed, the "bezel" will come right now.

There are "snaps" in the bezel so be careful not to break em. And you'll have to unplug the cruise and light dimmer switches. Next, there are 4 screws holding the cluster in. Remove those, and then you have of the screws removed.

You have to work the cluster out. What I did is to put my steering column all the way down, and just wiggled and nudged it all apart. After you get the cluster out, the rest is kind of self explanatory. You can take apart the cluster assembly pretty easily.

As for putting the gauges in, be careful and don't break the needels. If you do, you're screwed, you'll have to either a. get a replacement needle and have your gauge recalibrated or b. get a new gauge (each part, i.e. speedo, rpm, temp, and gas can be purchased seperately, but be prepared to shell out some bucks). Just be patient, it's not an EASY job, but not hard either.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I just did this for the indiglo a couple of weeks ago. What you do is after you remove the lower panel, there is the trim that goes around the cluster that pulls right out towards the steering wheel. If you haven't done it already, use the steering wheel adjustment lever on the left to move the steering wheel out as far as possible. Assuming you have a 91-95, there should be one wire harness (Green) going into the cluster on the bottom left side. Then remove the three other wire harnesses going into the top. That should be it. Then you just have to work it out like a little puzzle. Don't pull too hard on anything, as you may have missed one of these things. Good luck.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. Thanks!

Thanks alot, this will really really help me.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ksfjhsfdajsf

This is BULL
I got the cluster sitting here but there is NO WAY that it is going on without taking off the needles. It needs like another 1/4" for it to clear the back side of the damn needles....
I dont see how it could possibly work.
Even the instructions says to just slip it over.
AGH!!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
This is a very delicate process. When you get the new gauge on as far as you can, make sure the inside circle of the new gauge us dipped under the needle. I had this exact same issue, and once you do it, you'll realize they are almost too small, but they WILL FIT!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GOT IT!! But...

Go the guages on, (WOOHOO), but the spot where the wire connects to the H/C guage, it is in the way, the Bezel wont go on, it hits it, and I dont wanna bend that piece too far...
Any suggestions? You guys have been a GREAT help BTW
Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ALso

That same guage isnt held strongly against the back, and the needle cant move....
Dangit....
Im thinking of putting a dab O glue on it

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
You need to use the double sided tape that was included with the gauges to hold the gauges down. Make sure you do that with all your gauges, or they might not move properly.

and the wire that's in the way, I would cut a little hole in the side of the white back peice, so the wires can go thru

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Uhm

Mine didnt come with tape.....
What kind is it?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks!

Will pick some up tommorow. I will have to post pics when Im done
Thanks!

G

·
I was just looking at this because I just got my guages. They are on but I can't figure out how to get the cluster back in!?!?! Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
I was just looking at this because I just got my guages. They are on but I can't figure out how to get the cluster back in!?!?! Any ideas? Thanks.
uh...what you mean back in?

You mean you had the whole cluster out, installed the gauges, but now the cluster won't go back into the dash?

I find it most effective to move you steering wheel to the lowest position(that's for 94-95 only). Then tilt the cluster foward, slide the back end in first and tilt it back up right again.

I've assembled and disassembled my cluster so many times I can't even count. Becareful though, things can be easiliy broken in there.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just a comment on the 3M double sided tape. If your kit didn't come with it, get a very very very very thin tape. The stuff you can buy at O'Reilly for trim panels is MUCH too thick and if you use that, you run the risk of your needles not moving at all.

Like the others, said, just put a notch in the plastic to run the wires through, it's easy and painless. Also, keep your overhead bulbs in the gauge or else you won't be able to see your needles.

Good luck.......

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I hope someone can put up a tutorial with picts on how to install these gauges I think it will be very helpful, this way we won't get a hundred post on the same topic. Just a thought.

Anyone?:D

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
I haven't tried it yet, but as far as thin tape goes, has anyone every tried the golf grip tape? I have some at home and it looks like it woud be perfect. It is as thin as a single sheet of paper and looks to have more than enough adheasive to do the job. When I get my gauges I might try it out myself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts