Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one off of ebay and I have seen the install instructions somewhere on the other forums. I think there is a diagram to go with it. If anyone can guide me on how to do this or post the diagram, that would be great.

Thanx:)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx wally....

I am going to try and give that a whirl before I drop my car off at the mechanics tonight for the big HG surgery. I give ya' a shout if I end up doing something stupid....:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
also...

I agree with Walstrum and used his post to replace my antennae mast. I would like to add things to look for. Step 2, after you removed the nut with the pliers (they sell the nut remover at NAPA) and when removing the old antennae mast you need to be careful and remove the metal housing attached to the bottom of the old antennae as well. If you look at your new antennae mast you will see a silver/chrome housing on the bottom of the antennae mast to know what I am talking about. because you can't really see the housing on your old antenna mast all you will see is a very, very thin metal washer looking thing and you can't tell that if goes down a few inches. It is my humble understanding that it is common not to get the housing out, as in my case, and a minor job became not so minor. Just make sure you get the housing out with the old antennae mast to make the job easy.

This is my first post. Becuase of all the help and info that has helped me I have logged in to try and help as well.

good luck

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for the extra advice...:) I will make sure to look at that when I get there.....

But I ran into the problem of not being able to get past the first step. I couldn't even get the stupid nut off!! I ruined the bloody thing.... Gotta go buy one from acura for $15. I used vice grips, pliers, and these other angles pliers, and it would not even budge. It is so chewed now..... The thing is that my mast is in the up position, so I cannot slide the special socket bit down on it. I feel so incompetent.... Help me out Wally:) Thanx

·
Registered
671 Posts
well...i don't know how much help this will be...i actually used a pair of needle-nosed pliers to do it. the grooves on the top of the nut were just the right distance apart to grab 2 of them at the same time, squeeze *very* hard, and turn (of course being extra careful not to slip and scratch the paint of the car). i scratched the nut up a little bit, but not too noticibly unless you actually look for it. i can take a quick picture of how i did it tomorrow if you'd like...just let me know.

wally

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont know what your situation was but my mast is stuck up. This makes it so that my needle nose pliers cannot get a firm bite in those grooves. I have an angled pair as well, and even though it made it a bit easier, the ends of the pliers were not needle enough to bite. The vice grips had nothing to bite either. Mine is totally beyond keeping. Defenitaly needs replacing.... I got anxious and cold, and just wanted to get the stupid thing off. "Patience is a virtue" or something like that.....

Well, my car is now in the hands of my mechanic for the HG repair, and I wont be able to attempt the mast again until next week. I might just pop by acura to see if one of the techs would be kind enough to let me use his tool....

Thanx again wally:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts