Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kinda knew that my battery needs to be changed. But it never stood me up. I went for state inspection, and when I came back to pick up the car, it wont start, the lights in the guages were on, but it would just make a ticking sound and wont even turn. I am gonna replace the battery tomorrow but the guy said that the alternator might need to be changed as well. $300 for alternator. :eek: Is this right? My battery light never came on while driving or idling. How do you know if the alternator needs to be changed or not. I dont want him doing it unless it's required. What are the symptoms of a bad alternator and does the alternator actually is around 300?

·
Looking for Blk/Bk GS6MT
1,352 Posts
I know that most auto parts stores will give you a battery/alternator test for free. I had a problem with my car not starting, as the battery was drained. I posted and someone told me to take my factory amp out as I have an aftermarket stereo in and wasnt using the amp. I havent had the problem since.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mondonalds said:
I know that most auto parts stores will give you a battery/alternator test for free. I had a problem with my car not starting, as the battery was drained. I posted and someone told me to take my factory amp out as I have an aftermarket stereo in and wasnt using the amp. I havent had the problem since.
He said that he couldn't check the alternator since the battery is totally dead. But how do you find out if the alternator needs to be changed after the battery has been changed?

·
Looking for Blk/Bk GS6MT
1,352 Posts
From my understanding, you can check the alternator by running the car, then hooking up the tester. Wait for the battery to get some charge, then check the battery and alternator at that time. Also, rev the engine and see if the volt in the battery change.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
you figure in the alternator if the new battery won't start your car, but will start another car.

ya $300 sounds about right for an alternator.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
sounds like some of the guys you talked to dont know jack...

hook lead up to battery cables going to posts, when the car is running(after you jump it) it should be putting out around 14-15.5V. Also test the amperage which should be around 110??

Also, could be your starter to..

*test battery, should be 12.45 volts once you charge it, It should not dip down below 9.6volts(load test)_when you are cranking<

·
Registered
166 Posts
Slipnstream said:
I kinda knew that my battery needs to be changed. But it never stood me up. I went for state inspection, and when I came back to pick up the car, it wont start, the lights in the guages were on, but it would just make a ticking sound and wont even turn. I am gonna replace the battery tomorrow but the guy said that the alternator might need to be changed as well. $300 for alternator. :eek: Is this right? My battery light never came on while driving or idling. How do you know if the alternator needs to be changed or not. I dont want him doing it unless it's required. What are the symptoms of a bad alternator and does the alternator actually is around 300?
Possibilities:

1. If you can jump start your car that means the alternator is generate enough current to keep the car running. Try turn the head lights on, if the lights are in normal brightness. The battery is the culpit.

2. It jump start won't work. It could be the starter failing and refused to engage.

3. If you can just start your car but battery won't charge (the won't start again later...next day might be), the headlights are dim or battery warning light is on....then it is the alternator. Usually the battery warning light will lights up when it detects you are draining the battery (by measuring the current flow).

-Tat

·
Registered
1 Posts
Possibilities:

1. If you can jump start your car that means the alternator is generate enough current to keep the car running. Try turn the head lights on, if the lights are in normal brightness. The battery is the culpit.

2. It jump start won't work. It could be the starter failing and refused to engage.

3. If you can just start your car but battery won't charge (the won't start again later...next day might be), the headlights are dim or battery warning light is on....then it is the alternator. Usually the battery warning light will lights up when it detects you are draining the battery (by measuring the current flow).

-Tat
Appreciate you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts