Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '92 coupe that seems to have a light bulb out on the manual climate control panel.

Please let me know the best way to remove that section to replace the bulb. I do not want to pay the dealership $128 to replace a light bulb.
Thanks for your help

gnocchi

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
You need to remove the console trim panel and the radio in order to remove the two lower screws. You then have push down the two top clips. You could use page 22-6 from the 92 CPE HELM SERVICE MANUAL.

If you plan on performing any DIY repairs, you shall need a Helm Service Manual. Make it an early birthday present to yourself. Will be the best $60 you could ever spend on your Legend.

·
EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,471 Posts
I do my best to help you. I replaced my bulbs before some months. So I will upload some pics of my work so that you can see, how easy it is. Don't worry, be relaxed by doing this. It's really not difficult. I will try to give you a good detailed "How To..." preview, so I will give you only the pics of your A/C Vent. I hope that you will agree. I hope also that you already know how to remove the stock radio. If you want, I will give you the pics too. Regarding of the replacing bulbs, be forewarned: These damned bulbs are not cheap !!!

Ok, no prob. Here we go....

Radio Removing
1st: Remove your wood cover of the center console.
It's very very simple! If you have an ATM (Automatic Transmission), you must (flat screw driver) pull out the small black cover, then remove the 2 screws under the ash tray and finally pull gently the whole wood panel. Be careful: ONLY PULL this panel! Be careful when you remove the trim, it is somewhat fragile and cracks fairly easy.This panel contains 6 clip holder (2x upper, 2x in the center and 2x lower) )

2nd:
After this, unscrew the 2 screws. The radio (stock radio) is held with 2 screws. At the next step, you can finally pull out the radio, After this, you must pull out the...

- snap-in wiring plug
- antenna cable
- 7-pin DIN cable (CD changer)
- 5-pin of Audio control

JUST MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE YOUR RADIO CODES BEFORE YOU DO THIS. OF COURSE, ONLY IF YOU HAVE A STOCK RADIO. Now be careful - you will lose the memory settings when you disconnect the battery. So you will have to re-program the settings.

3rd: Air Vent Unit
These unit contains 2 screws under these unit. Reachable only it, through the opening radio tunnel. These screws are in the top of left and right side and not difficult to find. Remove the screws and try to pull out the whole unit. These unit contains 2 metal clips (in top of the unit, left & right). After this, you should remove the 4 cable connectors. Notice your unit in the center of the pic.

1. The complete assembly.

2. Here the available cables. Please ignore the "Fog Plug". US Legends don't have it.

3. Here the whole unit. Notice the two screws. You must unscrew these to get the whole unit out !!!

4. Here you can see the rear side of the whole unit.

5. Notice the metal clips. Very important, when you pull out them !!!

6. Now you can start to remove the several parts

7. Here you can see the removed cluster trim.

8. Here the "Main Control Unit".

9. Turn the unit. Do you see the back of the white bulbs?

10. Here the rear side of the "Main Control Unit". Do you see the small screws? You must unscrew these.

11. The Unscrewed Unit

12. Then you will get access to the inner side. Take care with the 2pin cable. The soldered points are very thin.

13. Inner LCD Circuit Panel

Don't ask me what function the switch have on the LCD circuit. I don't know it. What is written, is "[-2] [0] [+2]". I have really no clue why and whatfor it is

14. The Replaced Bulbs on the right side !

Ok, take a screw driver to turn the bulbs and take these out. After you replaced these through new bulbs, please ...

- replace all bulbs !!! It's better for the future when the same happens again.

- after you have taken out the unit, please clean the fan. Very important, because the fan make some noises when he got dirty. No you can reinstall this in reverse sequence !!! Hope that I could help you a bit. I hope I did not forget anything here. Later you will see that it's very easy. Good luck. -Mike

·
EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,471 Posts
Re: Thank you very much for your time

gnocchi said:
Just curious, how much are the light bulbs?
I paid (take a chair please and sit down!): 8.50 € for only one bulb. That means you have to pay around 8 bucks (Euro and Dollar have nearly the same course value. 1 € = ~1.05 $). Here you can see my paid bill from November last year. Summa sumarum: 53.59 € (incl. 16% tax) !!! -Mike

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
for what I've heard, whitecoupe, they cannot be interchanged.

Thanks again MikeD; that is quite expensive. Holy crap! 16%
sales tax; must be why the europe has free health care.

·
EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,471 Posts
whitecoupe said:
are l and ls temp control interchangeable? I would mind having an ls temp control.
Nope! Because, here are two totally different systems available. Only to replace the "Non Climatic Control" through the "Climatic Control" like plug and play, is absolute impossible ! The "L" type as a ´Non-Climate Control System´ and the "LS" type as ´Climatic Control System´. All these units contains various sensors which have to be added or replaced and also complete different wirings. What you plan is nearly impossible. But nothing is impossible, if you got a lot money, then you can try it. The best, what you can do, is to buy a LS/GS instead and would be cheaper! - Mike

That was gnocci already said is right !

·
EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,471 Posts
gnocchi said:
for what I've heard, whitecoupe, they cannot be interchanged.

Thanks again MikeD; that is quite expensive. Holy crap! 16%
sales tax; must be why the europe has free health care.
Yeah that´s right. Damn prices sometimes. But you have no choice to buy these. I´ve tried to get these at our greatest electronic shop here in Cologne - no way and absolutely no chance to get it. So I decide to buy it by my dealer. But what you can do (and what I plan as soon as possible) is to replace all interior bulbs through LED´s. LED´s are used more and more as incandescent light replacements. Their are at least any possible advantages to using LEDs compared to incandescent sources:

1. longer lifetime by far
2. reduced heat output, and
3. deep saturated hue (color) of output without filters.

LEDs provide the longest lifetime by far, a lifetime of ~ 10 years, and vibration-proof. LED´s are measured in visible light output unit like "mcd" (Millicandelas). You should consider it but be sure, that´s really not easy. But it´s worth the effort by far !!! -Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
radio removal

does anyone have detailed pics or instructions on removing the radio? i need to remove the climate control unit and i have the instructions for that. thanks!

·
570 Posts
I do my best to help you. I replaced my bulbs before some months. So I will upload some pics of my work so that you can see, how easy it is. Don't worry, be relaxed by doing this. It's really not difficult. I will try to give you a good detailed "How To..." preview, so I will give you only the pics of your A/C Vent. I hope that you will agree. I hope also that you already know how to remove the stock radio. If you want, I will give you the pics too. Regarding of the replacing bulbs, be forewarned: These damned bulbs are not cheap !!!

Ok, no prob. Here we go....

Radio Removing
1st: Remove your wood cover of the center console.
It's very very simple! If you have an ATM (Automatic Transmission), you must (flat screw driver) pull out the small black cover, then remove the 2 screws under the ash tray and finally pull gently the whole wood panel. Be careful: ONLY PULL this panel! Be careful when you remove the trim, it is somewhat fragile and cracks fairly easy.This panel contains 6 clip holder (2x upper, 2x in the center and 2x lower) )

2nd:
After this, unscrew the 2 screws. The radio (stock radio) is held with 2 screws. At the next step, you can finally pull out the radio, After this, you must pull out the...

- snap-in wiring plug
- antenna cable
- 7-pin DIN cable (CD changer)
- 5-pin of Audio control

JUST MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE YOUR RADIO CODES BEFORE YOU DO THIS. OF COURSE, ONLY IF YOU HAVE A STOCK RADIO. Now be careful - you will lose the memory settings when you disconnect the battery. So you will have to re-program the settings.

3rd: Air Vent Unit
These unit contains 2 screws under these unit. Reachable only it, through the opening radio tunnel. These screws are in the top of left and right side and not difficult to find. Remove the screws and try to pull out the whole unit. These unit contains 2 metal clips (in top of the unit, left & right). After this, you should remove the 4 cable connectors. Notice your unit in the center of the pic.

1. The complete assembly.

2. Here the available cables. Please ignore the "Fog Plug". US Legends don't have it.

3. Here the whole unit. Notice the two screws. You must unscrew these to get the whole unit out !!!

4. Here you can see the rear side of the whole unit.

5. Notice the metal clips. Very important, when you pull out them !!!

6. Now you can start to remove the several parts

7. Here you can see the removed cluster trim.

8. Here the "Main Control Unit".

9. Turn the unit. Do you see the back of the white bulbs?

10. Here the rear side of the "Main Control Unit". Do you see the small screws? You must unscrew these.

11. The Unscrewed Unit

12. Then you will get access to the inner side. Take care with the 2pin cable. The soldered points are very thin.

13. Inner LCD Circuit Panel

Don't ask me what function the switch have on the LCD circuit. I don't know it. What is written, is "[-2] [0] [+2]". I have really no clue why and whatfor it is

14. The Replaced Bulbs on the right side !

Ok, take a screw driver to turn the bulbs and take these out. After you replaced these through new bulbs, please ...

- replace all bulbs !!! It's better for the future when the same happens again.

- after you have taken out the unit, please clean the fan. Very important, because the fan make some noises when he got dirty. No you can reinstall this in reverse sequence !!! Hope that I could help you a bit. I hope I did not forget anything here. Later you will see that it's very easy. Good luck. -Mike
Hello MikeD,
Do you still have the pics I am doing mine now and have no clue whats going on. However, I see two screws below the air vent wondering if that is the screws you're talking about to remove. The two clips I have an illustration from the Acura manual seem can't get passed that dont want to damage the leather dash.

Desi

·
570 Posts
Thanks Boru, I appreciate for your help. But that illustration is not clear to replace the bulb. I'll be having some photos to include to the DIY with MikeD's permission. I already took it apart and its a little tricky in getting to the bulb. Thanks again, Boru.

Desi Bravo
Proud owner of 1992 Acura Legend 3.2L

·
EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,471 Posts
Climate Control Panel Removing

Well, as promised here are the needed pics for replacing all 4 bulbs...

The first thing you have to do is to remove the complete Radio/Cass Unit. I suppose you know how it works.

1. After removing the Radio/Cass Unit you simple unscrew both screws which are located on the top side through both ducts...

2. Now you have to remove the whole Climate Control Unit by pushing down both metal clamps...

3. After pulling out the whole Unit you will find several cables which looks like as shown as below...

4. Now you can see the back side of our Climate Control Unit. Please disconnect all 3 Connectors (EDM's does have 4 of them, so I wouldn't worry)...

5. In order to separate the Heater Control Unit and to remove the Trim Panel, you have to unscrew both screws as shown at the top picture. This panel is held with 2 screws (outer left and right) and 2 plastic clips...

6. After removing the Trim Panel you can now see where out Bulbs are located at...

7. A general info how the Circuit Board looke like...

8. Here are our Bulbs: 12V 1.2W...

That's all you have to do :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.