Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there have been some polemics going on how to start your car. one of them is let the car warm up by itself until the temp gauge goes up then drive while the other is just start it for couple minutes then drive around slowly (not rev high) until it warm up then u can start firing your baby.

which one is the right way? probably if you guys give some reasoning, that would be helpful. for me, my method is the second one and my bro is number one. we have been arguing all over but no one would back out. probably some experts here will prove either me or my bro is wrong.

thanks.

·
meber
978 Posts
I do it the first way. It give time for the oil in the oil pan to get up and lube the engine before I give it any gas. I usually let it sit untill the RPM is about 600.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I start mt Legend and let it warm up on its own, till the RPM drops below 1000 (around 800) before I move it. This takes about 3 to 4 minutes.
Since the traffic is bad, I anway cannot punch it - so I get enough time to warm up.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I have a remote start, so sometimes I will start it and walk around the house and get my crap together, and by this time it has alrweady warmed up pretty good. But usually I will let the RPMs drop below 1000, and just take it easy until it reaches operating temperature.

The legend owners manual says to just start it up and drive away, but I dont like doing that. Also, shifting when the gear oil is very cold is like moving mountains because the gear oil is like peanut butter until it warms up.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Mckenzie91 said:
Also, shifting when the gear oil is very cold is like moving mountains because the gear oil is like peanut butter until it warms up.
There shouldn't be gear oil in a Legend. The manual tranny calls for 10W-30 and autos just have ATF. They are plenty thin even at subzero temperatures. The transmissions are made to just start up and go. After a few seconds, it is fully lubricated. It actually hurts the car more to let it sit there idling.
You shouldn't rev the engine to high RPM's or drive it hard until it is warm, but it doesn't hurt anything to drive it when it's cold.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Well I am not sure what is in there, but it makes shifting very hard when it is cold. I figure they have some kind of lubricant in there, and when I first start driving, it is rough until it warms up.:confused:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Mckenzie91 said:
I have a remote start
Any problems with this on a manual? I guess you have to leave it in neutral ... is there a lockout in case you forget?

·
Registered
851 Posts
This is what I do, jump in into the car, immediately start the engine, put on seatbelt, put on the headunit face, turn on audio system and climate control. So, my engine still running idle for about 1 minute there. And I start driving after that. That's all.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Mckenzie91 said:
I have a remote start, so sometimes I will start it and walk around the house and get my crap together, and by this time it has alrweady warmed up pretty good. But usually I will let the RPMs drop below 1000, and just take it easy until it reaches operating temperature.

The legend owners manual says to just start it up and drive away, but I dont like doing that. Also, shifting when the gear oil is very cold is like moving mountains because the gear oil is like peanut butter until it warms up.
Mine was the same way until I did the 60k.
If it's "peanut butter hard", you need to replace it.
I recommend you do it ASAP.
You'll notice better shifting, better gas mileage and just overall, better performance.

-Jose

·
Registered
166 Posts
I usually wait till the temp needle hits the blue line. it became like a habit to me and it just dosen't seem right to start up n just drive off unless it's an emergency or something. usually by the time I finish my morning cigarette it's all warmed up. :D

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
ScotcH said:

Any problems with this on a manual? I guess you have to leave it in neutral ... is there a lockout in case you forget?
I beleive that there are certain safety checks that a manual starter does before it can start your car. The system is weird....

When you park your car, put it in neutral, you put the ebrake on, take the key out (car is still runing), and then you get out and close the door. You have to close the door within a certain number of seconds though or it will not remote start. But after you close the door, your car will shut off, and then your door locks will lock as well, arming the alarm. Also, if after this, you have to get somthing from your car, the second you unlock the door it disengages the remote start function, because for all it knows, you have goten into the car and put it into gear.

But its pretty safe, and it wont start in gear..... a sweet unit for sure.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
jose3030 said:

Mine was the same way until I did the 60k.
If it's "peanut butter hard", you need to replace it.
I recommend you do it ASAP.
You'll notice better shifting, better gas mileage and just overall, better performance.

-Jose
Jose.... are you telling me to change the tranny oil and the diff fluid, or just the tranny oil. I think I remember your post and you said you had the diff fluid done as well.

I dont know if they are related so thats why I want to know. Fluid change is $40 vs. diff fluid change which is like $1??. (from dealer)

·
Registered
702 Posts
I usually use remote start and let it warm up for a few minutes. It really depends on how cold it is outside or what the weather is like or if I am in a rush or not. Ideally when I'm not in a hurry, will let it warm up until car is at normal temerature. If I am in a hurry then I'll either wait until needle starts passing line warming up or until rpm gauge is less than 1000rpm.

I don't think there's any real wrong way besides too often simply starting car when it is really cold and cold outside and driving hard without letting it warm up.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Mckenzie91 said:

Jose.... are you telling me to change the tranny oil and the diff fluid, or just the tranny oil. I think I remember your post and you said you had the diff fluid done as well.

I dont know if they are related so thats why I want to know. Fluid change is $40 vs. diff fluid change which is like $1??. (from dealer)
I dont know why they're charging you so much.
It's just fluid.

I did both things in my car, but I think the manual tranny change did the best for me. I've heard good things about Redline MTL, but I just went w/ strictly OEM recommendation of regular motor oil, didnt wanna chance it...

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Thanx Jose.... as for the high price... its ACURA:rolleyes:

I just wanted a ball park figure from them and I phoned and talked to a different service advisor today. They fluid change is $42, and the diff fluid change is $37.50 + 2 bottles of diff juice @ ~$10, so around $100 for a tranny service.

However I just talked to my mechanic and he told me that it should take him no longer than 1/2 hour to do both, so he is going to hook me up. I also have to get my inner CV boos replaced so I think I am going to do it in one shot and get it done with....:cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts