Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i drive a 1994 sedan L (with the TYPE 1 engine...) now I know that 200 HP isn't much compared with some of the cars now a days, but i also know that HP isnt everything. what cars can i outdo? my friend drives a 2001 maxima (222 HP), but isn't it heavier? i wanna kno what kinda cars you guys have been able to burn with a stock engine, could u give me some honest answers? thanks!

·
Registered
702 Posts
you can do plenty with type I engine, but you should make some modifications...start with intake and exhaust and you should have some improved performance and be able to beat the maxima no problem. with stock everything, you should be able to keep up with the maxima and probably beat it too, but you can't quote me on that with stock. i know i've smoked plenty of maximas in my 94 L sedan, but i also have a chip, intake, exhaust, and a few other random things, but i do know that i can kill just about any sedan in its own class, and many sports coupes too! you should make a few modifications if you have the time/money because it will be worth it.

but back to you question about completely stock i have no idea, because i didn't race anybody until after i hooked up everything.

one more thing i really think you can beat the maxima because even tho it has a little more horsepower, you have a bigger engine, 3.2L compared to the maxima's 3.0L

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anybody ever tried racing with the stock type 1 engine before they modded it? btw after an intake and exhaust and chip, have you tested to see how much HP you have now?

·
Registered
702 Posts
yes, i'm at 218hp since the last time it was tested a few months ago. only thing different since then is i have a newer intake cuz my last got stolen from my car.

·
Registered
120 Posts
rquest77 said:
i drive a 1994 sedan L (with the TYPE 1 engine...) now I know that 200 HP isn't much compared with some of the cars now a days, but i also know that HP isnt everything. what cars can i outdo? my friend drives a 2001 maxima (222 HP), but isn't it heavier? i wanna kno what kinda cars you guys have been able to burn with a stock engine, could u give me some honest answers? thanks!
Car vs. car your car should lose. His car wieghts about 200 lbs. less, he's got more horsepower and torque, plus his 2001 engine is probably much fresher than yours. You should also factor in if you have a 5-speed and he has an auto or vice versa. But I would race him, you may win if your the better driver.

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
I've raced 2 Maximas but not the newer ones and beat both on the highway. One of them kept up with me but then I just floored it and took off and the other one just had no chance because I just passed by him and kept going. It all really comes down to how you drive and how the other driver can handle their car.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Listen up Fellas!!!

I drive a 92 5-spd L Sedan. I consistently beat my buddy in his 1999 3.2 TL. Our cars are both stock. First let me tell you that there is a world of difference between the 4spd Auto and the 5Speed Manual in the Legend. Next you have to learn where we achieve that 200 hp. Our power band gets real rewarding around 5500 in third gear. Another thing sto keep in mind when racing is know your opponents car. People tend to beat us VTEC heads because VTEC technology is not really doing anything unless we are near the top of our power bands. So when you are racing with someone on the highway, don't let them knock you out of gear by tapping on their breaks... its an old trick those Turboheads love to use on us. Yet another tip, Remember that we are FWD cars. When we are talking a stock 200hp FWD and a stock 200hpRWD... the RWD will always beat us off the block since their weight is being thrown onto their driving wheels which gives them better traction. Lastly, turn off traction control.

Invest in some tires and an Intake. ;)

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
Re: Listen up Fellas!!!

Boston Speed said:
People tend to beat us VTEC heads because VTEC technology is not really doing anything unless we are near the top of our power bands.
I'm not sure if I read it right, but if I did, we don't have VTEC. :)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
you would NOT lose. My friend had a 2001 maxima with exhaust, intake, pullys, high stall torque converter and who knows what else and i beat him. u would have no problem but it also depends on how good your engine was taken care of and everything.

·
Registered
179 Posts
VTEC Question

We actually do have VTEC. VTEC is a marketing term used to help sell Hondas lower displacement engine cars. VTEC did not help the Legend sell to Honda's targeted demographic of luxury car buyers.

Here's a little information for you. In many countries in Europe, car owners are taxed on the displacement of their vehicles so naturally they tend to buy cars with smaller engines. this forces the car companies to come up with ways to squeeze more HP out of smaller engines. Hence the popularity of turbo's, VTEC, VVTi and the like in smaller engines. Ever wonder why even the boring assed Volvo's have turbos.... Joe Familyguy Schmo in Sweden is trying to save $$ on taxes while still beating the light. Anyway, this need for smaller displacement engines put companies that don't have a philosophy around turbos into a position where they must push another technology or gimmick to keep their cars competitive in those markets.

The Honda Legend was designed with North American and Asian markets in mind so have a 3.2 litre V6 was not a sin. Here's an interesting fact for you... Audi's A6 2.7T puts out 250+ HP while the A6 3.0 puts out only 220.

·
Registered
120 Posts
CODY690 said:
you would NOT lose. My friend had a 2001 maxima with exhaust, intake, pullys, high stall torque converter and who knows what else and i beat him. u would have no problem but it also depends on how good your engine was taken care of and everything.
Your friend can't drive cause he should have smoked you!:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Re: VTEC Question

Boston Speed said:
We actually do have VTEC. VTEC is a marketing term used to help sell Hondas lower displacement engine cars. VTEC did not help the Legend sell to Honda's targeted demographic of luxury car buyers.

Here's a little information for you. In many countries in Europe, car owners are taxed on the displacement of their vehicles so naturally they tend to buy cars with smaller engines. this forces the car companies to come up with ways to squeeze more HP out of smaller engines. Hence the popularity of turbo's, VTEC, VVTi and the like in smaller engines. Ever wonder why even the boring assed Volvo's have turbos.... Joe Familyguy Schmo in Sweden is trying to save $$ on taxes while still beating the light. Anyway, this need for smaller displacement engines put companies that don't have a philosophy around turbos into a position where they must push another technology or gimmick to keep their cars competitive in those markets.

The Honda Legend was designed with North American and Asian markets in mind so have a 3.2 litre V6 was not a sin. Here's an interesting fact for you... Audi's A6 2.7T puts out 250+ HP while the A6 3.0 puts out only 220.
Sorry Boston there's no VTEC in any Legend:D

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am never wrong!!!!!!

Good catch guys. Last thing you need is me spreading bull****. I did some research into what I was sure was an old manual referencing a Variable Valve Timing scheme in Legend engines. It turns out that what I was recalling INCORRECTLY was a reference to the Legend's Variable Induction System. Again. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

I attached the old tech spec sheet for anyone interested. I snatched it from the Acura Site before they yanked it last year.

Also, heres another link explaining VTEC.. I should have known better.... http://www.lathi.net/honda-faq/vtec.html

Attachments

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Oh yeah Variable Intake System. I remember reading on the G1 manual it has a butterfly valve or something that switches between different runner lenghts according to RPMs. Or something like that :)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
ha all he had to do was push his foot on the pedal when the light turns green. hes a good friend of mine we did it many times. He ran a best at the strip with a 15.8 and a 14.9 running NOS. trust me u wil beat a stock 2001 automatic maxima.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so your' saying that my Type I engine on a 94 sedan will definitely beat an automatic 2001 maxima, even tho it has 22 more HP? a little explanation please

1 - 20 of 30 Posts