Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
LegendaryRL
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if it's because my car is old, but when i drive other people's car, the rpm doesn't seem to go as high. when I drive 80mph, my rpm is slightly higher than 3000. is that normal? what rpms do you guys get? thanks for the input.:) :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
That sounds normal. I always thought we had good top end and 3k at 80 was pretty good. Just curious what type of cars ur comparing to.

·
LegendaryRL
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KenS said:
That sounds normal. I always thought we had good top end and 3k at 80 was pretty good. Just curious what type of cars ur comparing to.
i was comparing to other v6's in the market. i drove a 2000 maxima, 99 honda accord v6 coupe, 1999 millennia, and etc...
it seemed like everybody else was getting about 2500 to 2800 at the most. so, i was just wondering if there was something wrong with my car.:p

·
LEGEND
909 Posts
my new legend seems to hit 3k RPM's at around 76....my old one used to do 3k around 80 mph...is something wrong? any help is appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
with the auto 3400rpm is about right at 80, however that assumes stock tires...if you have increased the overall tire diameter by changing the size of the wheel/tire the rpm will be lower. Gear ratios in manuals and autos are slightly different too. If comparing apples to apples then your speedo or tach is probably off with the lower rpm number at 80...

·
Registered
424 Posts
infinite said:
Type II engine 3400 RPM at 80mph. I believe this is normal. I have an automatic.
Thanks, I was wondering about that since I just bought my GS, it seems that gears change differently than my 92LS. It seems though since the last owner (GS) put some " CONTINENTAL TOURING 215 75 16 " :rolleyes: I think the tires makes my engine work harder. I hav to get rid of them but I don't hav any money :( Anybody wanna donate me some tires or money :D lol

Latin...................

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
tnelson said:
Nah i think you're off BIgdad,
I have an auto GS (type II) and an L and they are both about 3100 at 80, seems like thats where everyone else is too.
Might want to have that checked

Peace
Tnelson
There was a thread about this on the other board, and I think that 3400 RPM on an auto GS at 80mph is about right.
However, I have stock rims with stock tire sized tires.

·
LEGEND
909 Posts
i have a 94 L and the RPM's seem to be a bit higher than my 91L was, my 91 had 3k at 80, this one seems to hit 3k at 76...is something wrong?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
for DMS Killer the 91 had 15 inch wheels and the 94 has 16 inch. Depending on what tires were on these two the overall diameter could be different and affect engine rpm. Latin Raver had 75 aspect ratio tires on his, which will give a larger diameter vs the standard 55 ratio low profile tire. This will give him some speedometer error (whatever % the diameter is increased will be the percent underestimation of speed). For example, if his wheel/tire dia. is 7% larger than orig (to which it is calibrated) an indicated 70mph is actually 75mph. and there will be a reduction in the rpm indicated on the tach.
In my 3 Legends, 2 coupes/1sedan, all autos, 80 mph gave a rpm of around 3200-3300 or so. But definitely more than 3K...all with std Mich. MXVs

·
LEGEND
909 Posts
my 94L has 15" tires, as it is an L, and not a GS, but i see your point, i just wanted to make sure all was alright, because on the same tires, my 91 was at 3k RPM's at 80...thanks for the response :)

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Re: we get better gas milage...

koper187 said:
... with the 6speed

In 6th, 80 mph is only 2700 rpm
mine is too.. ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
New rims/tires

If I were to go from stock 15" rims and tires to 17"rims and 225/45-17 tires, would there be any speedometer or tach problems? Oh yeah, is 225/45-17 a good size for a Legend?
thanks

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Re: Re: we get better gas milage...

jose3030 said:

mine is too.. ;)
take that back
at 80 mph, as tested today.
my rpm's are 2500.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
Re: New rims/tires

TypeIICoupe said:
If I were to go from stock 15" rims and tires to 17"rims and 225/45-17 tires, would there be any speedometer or tach problems? Oh yeah, is 225/45-17 a good size for a Legend?
thanks
It varies from car to car...for instance..from the FACTORY, there is a potential for a margin of error..one car can be as much as 1.75% different than another off the same line as far as speedo error goes. This is big in Hawaii, because if you go 1 mph over the speed limit, then that's a fine!! Ask Chris K!

So..to answer your question..yes, those are fine. AS far as speedo being off, it shouldn't change the aspect ratio by much....if any. In the case with 18", well, mine tracks a +3% error over 85mph. This is with 225/40/18

·
Registered
88 Posts
93 LS 6 speed coupe

3000 rpm in 6th gear = 95 mph.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts