Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I might have asked this on the old forums but... no search there hehe.

Also, where should I get the timing belt? And do I bother changing the water pump? (164k)

Also, paulo mentioned something about cleaning the valve tappets...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Never done it myself but it all depends on your experience. I wouldn't recommend doing the TB yourself unless you have a friend who knows what they're doing that can help.

Definitely change the water pump and accessory belts and oil seals. I prefer Acura parts especially when you are talking so much labor involved if one of the parts fail or doesn't fit perfectly and you have to redo.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm going to do it over spring break so I'll have a week, I was assuming it'll take a day...

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
How long does it take to build a house? Somewhere between 1.5 hrs if you know what you're doing to forever if you screw up and blow the engine.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
slugman said:
<snip> Also, paulo mentioned something about cleaning the valve tappets...
I only threw this out there as a "what the hell" kind of thing with regards to noisy tappets and as a cheap alternative to full-on replacement. I really don't know if it would be worth the trouble.

Maybe in the future if I happen to have the cams out of my engine (I hope not anytime soon), I may try this and report back.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'll give it a try. It's not like I have something better to do... Actually that's not true hehe...
get fuel tank cleaned - spring break
gut old cat and put back on - spring break
exhaust valve tappets - spring break
cv boots - spring break
ps rack - spring break

·
Registered
269 Posts
it took me about 15 hours, and three days after school. The first night i took off the alternator, ps pump, the motor mount and the top two covers. The second night i spent 5 hours trying to get the damn crankshaft pulley off ( i finally used MAP gas and heated it til it was super hot, put a screwdriver through one of the holes to hold it and then it still took two people pulling as hard as we could to get it off!) The third night i took off the lower cover, changed the water pump, flushed the coolant, and finished the job. Definately change the water pump. You'll be pissed if it goes right after you change the belt, and it's pretty easy to do. good luck!:D

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
90Legend218 said:
<SNIP> The second night i spent 5 hours trying to get the damn crankshaft pulley off ( i finally used MAP gas and heated it til it was super hot, put a screwdriver through one of the holes to hold it and then it still took two people pulling as hard as we could to get it off!) <SNIP>
YIKES!:eek:

Are you leaking oil out the front yet? :) You didn't mention it, but did you replace the front seal?

·
Registered
269 Posts
no, and it's been 5000 miles so i hope it'll be alright.;) because i really,really don't want to take it apart again.

·
Registered
148 Posts
90Legend218 said:
it took me about 15 hours, and three days after school. The first night i took off the alternator, ps pump, the motor mount and the top two covers. The second night i spent 5 hours trying to get the damn crankshaft pulley off ( i finally used MAP gas and heated it til it was super hot, put a screwdriver through one of the holes to hold it and then it still took two people pulling as hard as we could to get it off!) The third night i took off the lower cover, changed the water pump, flushed the coolant, and finished the job. Definately change the water pump. You'll be pissed if it goes right after you change the belt, and it's pretty easy to do. good luck!:D
On removing the crankshaft pulley --next time try this::

Remove the main distributor line to center of cap- so engine will not start.

take a 20 inch long or so length 1/2 breaker bar with the either 17 or 19 mm socket (preferably air type socket for maximum strength. and place on bolt. lower the car- with the breaker bar on the correct side of engine for crank rotation then go and crank engine for just a second- presto!!! the bolt is loose!!!Thank you very much..

PS took me 12 hours but done right!:)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
?

What is the change interval on the timing belt anyway?

·
Registered
427 Posts
wow you guys seem to know what your doing. Did you have previous experience in changing the TB or was it your first try???? didn't you get scared that you might screw up your car because they say if the timing goes bad your engine is done. I give you guys a lot of credit if only we lived beside each other that way we can fix our cars together and i would get my TB changed for just parts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
front seal

Where is the front seal located?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts