Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Yaozer *n *he A*k
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how much mileage had some of you guys gone before doing your timing belt and water pump job. Is there some margin of safety being that this is an integral part of the car's well-being?

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
I had an irresponsible friend that let his go up to 167 before the first timing belt broke. never replaced the motor and the POS is still sitting in his yard. He swears he's gonna fix it someday.

·
Registered
744 Posts
rockshox72 - I believe there is a margin, as I drove my 95 LS Coupe to 133,000 miles before doing the water pump / timing belt. A friend of mind has replaced both at 65k miles at the recommendation of Acura due to extreme driving conditions. I really didn't have a good reason for waiting to 133k other than listening to others who made it to 110 / 120. Guess I hit 130k and it was always on my mind.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It escapes me why someone would want to take the risk and WAIT to change the TB :confused: Why go 125K or 140K???? Realistically, its not likely you will redo the belt again at 250K or 280K miles. At that point you may need a new engine or rebuild anyway.

Most independant shops will charge $400-500 to change the TB and and water pump. If your belt breaks, consider a complete new valve job, possible damage to the piston(s), along with replacing the TB and waterpump. Now your looking at a $2500 - $3000 bill.

Bottomline 90K is safe and probably a one time job.

Your call.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
744 Posts
MC_ ssup. Ever gambled more money than 4 grand? Although not everyday, more like once a year, I will gamble 4 times that amount on the tables in Vegas. And thats small duckets. Although my intention was not to rack up 4k in repair costs - my gamble paid off. Now, 4-5 hundred doesn't seem so bad, provided that one's intent is to locate a independent shop. I don't think its 4-5 at the dealer. Some people take chances in life and others don't - and we aren't talking about physical pain.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
KNLNGUS said:
MC_ ssup. Ever gambled more money than 4 grand? Although not everyday, more like once a year, I will gamble 4 times that amount on the tables in Vegas. And thats small duckets. Although my intention was not to rack up 4k in repair costs - my gamble paid off. Now, 4-5 hundred doesn't seem so bad, provided that one's intent is to locate a independent shop. I don't think its 4-5 at the dealer. Some people take chances in life and others don't - and we aren't talking about physical pain.

KNLNGUS
I paid $550 (including parts) at my local Acura Dealer, they have these one time specials during the dead of winter.

As for gambling, I don't like to gamble. But, I do invest in the market and I can tell you I lost more then that in the opening minute of trading about 6 months ago. Good o' Lucent, Palm, Etc... :mad:

·
Registered
744 Posts
$550.00 doesn't seem bad - perhaps I will recommend others wait for a winter discount at the dealer.

Feel your pain as my portfolio made it out banged up and bruised all over. Just before Sept, I bought 20k shares of Bioshield Technologies at 10c and they are at 36c per share - so wish me luck. I would like to ride this penny stock till I'm sitting in my NSX.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I got mine done at 96000 but i was very uneasy. I'd say get it done at 90K and you;ll sleep well at nights!

And buddy, i hope your Bioshield does well and goes up to 2 bucks...which I;m sure will get u your NSX!
I'm sitting tight and praying that the market goes back up again...these days talk about stock market really depresses me a lot!!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Here is a question: " What factors influence timing belt going bad faster?" Is it parking the car outside? Hot/cold weather? Moisture?

·
Yaozer *n *he A*k
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hear ya MC, i've lost $2500 thanks to Lucent too. , but at least I have an idea how much more my timing belt can go, but my local acura dealer is offering $359 for timing belt job til the end of Feb w/ one day rental while in their shop. Normal cost quote was $600. Plus I ordered the water pump from augusta so when i get that in, i'll have my TB done.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Did mine at 100K.:)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
shahavchik said:
Here is a question: " What factors influence timing belt going bad faster?" Is it parking the car outside? Hot/cold weather? Moisture?
I was told a good indicator is to look at your drive belts. But weather can affect the life of the TB.

Other factors include:

-Type of driving (the stop-n-go driving will wear the TB quicker)
-Dusty/Dirty areas
-Constant hard driving

$359 is a bargin to do the TB!!!!! Make sure they include the water pump. The full service includes:

- Water Pump and all gaskets
- ReplaceTB
- Replace TB tensioner (some places use the old one :rolleyes: )
- 1 Gallon of Honda Anti-Freeze
- Replace all drive belts

I would also have them do the following since you only pay for parts:

-Oil pressure switch (known to leak on honda's)
-Thermostat
-Lower rad hose (top hose is a DIY and easily accessible)

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
What's worse is when you buy a used car...

On the 90L Coupe we have, it has 125k or so now.. (we got it with 114k) The dealer said they didn't know if the TimingBelt was changed or not. grrr....

On the 94GS with 133k the dealer we got it from one of the guys said.... "We change all the standard stuff" What's standard? "Well, Sir, oil, tires, cleaning, liquids, etc..." Didn't mention TB.. asked another guy same place specifically about the TB being changed and he said.. "Yeah, uhhh.. we change all that stuff when we get the cars, TB was changed"

I don't know if I should believe him or not..... We're getting the TB change on the 90L Coupe next month... just in case...

Didn't really make a "big" deal out of it, got the car for $7200 after all...

Is there a way to check the quality of the TB, without opening up the whole thing first?
on both G1 and G2?

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
I changed my timing belt and water pump at 129K miles because I wasn't sure if the previous owner had changed it. I just said the hell with it and changed it so at least i know that it was done. I paid about $500 at my mechanic with parts and labor.

·
Lara's Legend
1,534 Posts
I waited

untill 112,000 to do mine! I stopped driving the car & was driving the company mini van! Untill I finally got it done! Changed water pump & TB , all the hoses and cam sensor was burnt out and oil change and belts !! price was @ 1,100 $ parts & labor!

Having someone else sweat over your Legend, priceless!:D

·
Registered
450 Posts
I had mines done at 103,000 miles. The car was bought used and the belt was checked with the left cover removed. The belt looked ok, no cracked ribs,and the belt looked good. I replaced it and the water pump anyway for piece of mind. I am glad I did because closer inspection with the belt off showed fine wires embeded in the belt were starting to show thru. Some were even frayed and sticking out from the belt. These wires are in there to strengthen the belt and the belt was obviously in need of replacement. I'd say follow the factory recomendations they know what they are doing.

·
Registered
785 Posts
damn, almost everyone has said they paid roughly $500 for the complete service. i found a new mechanic, specializes in honda, acuras,really honest, but the prices arent much cheaper than the dealer. when i was replacing my radiator he noticed i'll need the 90k service in about 5000 miles, and quoted me $1050 for it! so, should i trust a different shop with lower prices that doesn't know acuras as well to do the service, is it that specialized of a repair?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts