Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were considering buying a used G1 legend how many miles would be too many for you before you wouldn't consider buying it (assuming the car was in good shape mechanically) ? The reason I ask is that I was taking a look a LS coupe with about 200k kilometers (about 125k miles). Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Depends on price, but mechanically, I wouldn't buy anything over 160k miles when I'm shopping for cars. Even though, taken care of, the Legend should last well over 230,000 miles.

125k miles is not a lot. Test it out, to see how it feels, transmission is usually what ends up going first, does it feel good?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just bought a 1990 L 5 speed coupe and it has 208K. Runs incredibly well. I got the emissions done the other day and the guy doing the testing wanted to buy it! The only thing it really needs is new or recovered front seats.

[edit]the guy who sold it to me was a body repairman for an acura dealership and he dropped a tranny in it with 90k on it for an extra $400[/edit]

·
Registered
347 Posts
I picked up my 89L coupe at 180 odd Ks, running very strong at this age. Only maj mechanical work to date is a new distributor and various gaskets. Tranny shifted hard but this resolved with a tranny flush. 200000 ks isn't a lot for a legend, id say if it checks out, get it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
People take mileage too seriously. Age is just as large, if not a larger factor, in determining the reliability of a vehicle. If I found an 89 Legend with 50k original miles on it, I would consider the fact that the car has been sitting for most of its life and has been on many short drives. I would easily buy a car with up to 200k on it as long as I know that the car has mostly highway miles and it is up to date on maintenence. Highway miles (although causing rock chips on the front end) yield a much lower level of wear than a life of short drives. THe highway will of course yield higher miles, but the odometer is just numbers. I'd say 200k is the limit (of course I would pay no more than $2k for one w/ that many miles).

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Too much mileage? I just picked up a 5-speed Coupe with 175,000 miles. :cool:

I was gonna type a lot of stuff here, but I think Colin just covered everything I wanted to write for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an '87 Coupe with 185,000. I have redone the front interior (all leather and looks fantastic), done all service since I owned the car (new) and keep it in a garage. The paint is really good.

I have inquiries all the time about selling the car. If I was in the market for a G1, I would find one just like mine.

I may sell after the new Infinity Coupe or Z350 comes out. Might not be able to resist one of these and we have too many cars. The G1 would be up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts