Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
VIP Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just talked to a local mechanic today about getting a coolant flush. I told him I had already bought a jug of Honda coolant in anticipation of doing it myself (I know I will probably need more than 1 gallon). Anyways, he quoted me about 100 bucks to drain, flush, refill provided I bring my own coolant in. He said he has a flushing machine as opposed to the dealer's habit of simply draining then refilling. He also said he will add some kind of conditioner to extend the life of the coolant (I wasn't too hot about this). Does the price sound about right? I know Legends have somewhat finnicky cooling issues. Can I trust this guy to do it right? Will a mechanic know to bleed the system? I am just so paranoid about my car. I'd rather have one of you guys do it and then I can pay you!

·
3.52 ..Chicken & Dumplins
3,200 Posts
Do it yourself,
drain the old coolant
leave the radiator un-plug and blash water throught it using a water hose until the water looks clear
open breather valve
re-plug and fill the radiator until anti freeze seep through the breather valve.
start the car and turn up the heat to the max temp
bleed any air that might be in the system..
about 30-45 minutes

·
Ridin' Stock son
233 Posts
are their any DIY writeups on how to do this?

·
because i can.
10,426 Posts
Yeah man its a total diy...I wish I had a hundred bucks for each time ive done one hahaha.....but I would say have the heater turned to max for the entire process...also be sure to completely bleed the system when finished...

Ive found that radiator cap OFF with the car parked facing UP an incline (like a driveway, a hill, or even the front wheels up on some 2x4s) burps out the air pretty quick.....also, to avoid making a mess and losing unnecessary amounts of coolant, I attach a small, clear hose to the bleeder valve, and let it bleed into a big empty water bottle (like a liter). When the bottle gets close to full (or when no more bubbles come out of the bleeder valve....whichever comes first) you can empty that coolant BACK into either the radiator or the overflow....sure beats wasting it by letting it splash all over the tranny or onto the ground :thumbsup:

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,585 Posts
Damn 100 bucks!!! I can buy a new water pump and all the hoses on the motor. Dude they asked way too much. Its best to do it yourself. Its really easy homie.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
just remove the thermostat, radiator plug and cap and run water all through the system until clear water comes out. dont forget to turn your heater to max. after that, replace everything and fill up with coolant, the bleed it all out.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Looks like dealer has a subprime mortgage payment coming...
Drain and fill is perfectly fine.
Don't add any other additives in there.
Just change coolant every 2-3 years, inspect hoses regularly, and change thermostat when needed and you will not have problems.

·
Registered
173 Posts
DIY coolant flush

Hi, I'm way too cheap to cough up 100 clams for a coolant flush.
What I do is remove a heater hose and flush the hell out of it with a garden hose. Flush out the heater core in both directions, sometimes they are full of crud. Remove the engine block drains, can't remember the details other than they are way easier to get to on the legend than on most cars. Run the hose into the rad, poke the nozzle into the heater hoses leading into the block. Splash around until the water runs out clear. Tighten everything up, refill, open the bleeder and warm it up, keep adding to the radiator as the air works it's way out. Do NOT run the car without any coolant, rapid water pump seal death occurs, really. That's all there is to it.

A few notes

If what gets flushed out looks like it includes a couple handfuls of dryer lint, it is probably stop leak.

It seems like 80% of the time, when you flush a car and add new coolant a hose will fail or leak soon after, if not then an unrelated repair will be needed that requires draining the coolant. Do inspect all the small hoses, my car had bad ones under the throttle body, the little ~1/2" hoses.

all in all not to tough, kinda messy, you will get wet, wait for warm weather.

cheers, Jay

·
Registered
14 Posts
When you say "poke the nozzle into the heater hoses leading into the block", do you mean the upper radiator hose? When you pour water into the radiator, it doesn't go all the way into the whole cooling system right? I'm trying to add that Blue Devil sealer so I want to make sure I'm following all the intstructions perfectly in case I need to ask for money back.

Thanks

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,585 Posts
When you say "poke the nozzle into the heater hoses leading into the block", do you mean the upper radiator hose? When you pour water into the radiator, it doesn't go all the way into the whole cooling system right? I'm trying to add that Blue Devil sealer so I want to make sure I'm following all the intstructions perfectly in case I need to ask for money back.

Thanks
Don't add anything into the radiator. Our Legend don't like sealant shit. Just do a complete drain and refill. Then bleed the system. Never ever add shit, only

·
Civic Owner :|
449 Posts
Y.also, to avoid making a mess and losing unnecessary amounts of coolant, I attach a small, clear hose to the bleeder valve, and let it bleed into a big empty water bottle (like a liter). When the bottle gets close to full (or when no more bubbles come out of the bleeder valve....whichever comes first) you can empty that coolant BACK into either the radiator or the overflow....sure beats wasting it by letting it splash all over the tranny or onto the ground :thumbsup:
thats a damn good idea! :thumbsup: :bowdown:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah man its a total diy...I wish I had a hundred bucks for each time ive done one hahaha.....but I would say have the heater turned to max for the entire process...also be sure to completely bleed the system when finished...

Ive found that radiator cap OFF with the car parked facing UP an incline (like a driveway, a hill, or even the front wheels up on some 2x4s) burps out the air pretty quick.....also, to avoid making a mess and losing unnecessary amounts of coolant, I attach a small, clear hose to the bleeder valve, and let it bleed into a big empty water bottle (like a liter). When the bottle gets close to full (or when no more bubbles come out of the bleeder valve....whichever comes first) you can empty that coolant BACK into either the radiator or the overflow....sure beats wasting it by letting it splash all over the tranny or onto the ground :thumbsup:
i cant seem to open the breather valve. i was wondering if that seems to be the problem, can i just get all the air out by running the car on an incline with just the radiator cap off? it looks like the previous owner of the legend never used it before cause its rusted as fudge D: ive done everything except for the bleeding part and i have school tmr lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.