Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you clean the throttle body? I made a post a few weeks ago about my car stalling really bad.
My Post

Some of you guys suggested that I get a throttle body cleaning spray, I went to the auto store and bought one today. But I couldn't figure out where to spray? Am I suppose to take my intake off and spray inside the throttle body? should I put the throttle open and spray in there? Please let me know, I don't want to spray the wrong parts and mess more stuff up.

·
Junior Mint
629 Posts
Detach the intake from the throttle body. It's easy to do if you have an aftermarket intake.

With the car off, and you wearing gloves, push open the throttle body plate, and spray some fluid around the plate and past the throttle body. Now start the car. It will have a hard time starting, but it should start, provided you didn't spray the entire can in already. You should see white smoke coming out the exhaust.

What I do next is turn the car off. Remove that box covering the throttle linkages, and determine which one is the throttle cable. You should be able to open up the TB plate by moving one of the pulleys. If you are a bit more daring, turn the car back on, and spray more cleaner in as you open up the plate a bit by moving the throttle pulley. By the end of this, you shouldn't see any carbon deposits on the TB plate or past the TB.

I've done this many times, and did it for my mom's G1 Legend. You can get a good amount of gunk out of your engine this way, and it's a good thing to do before a smog check.

Oh yeah, for the final step, drive your car around town, being a bit more aggressive with the gas pedal to get the remaining gunk out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts