Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Congratulations on the new family member. Here is what I've learned through my experience with carseats....most of it common sense...

1) Never put a rear facing seat in ANY front seat....this means for the first 6 months or so until the baby can hold their head up and sit up in a regular car seat. Then upgrade to another seat and face forward - but you're still crazy if you put them in the front seat - IMO.

2) Secure the seat with a seatbelt and the security straps if you can - the Legend doesn't have the loops now included with all cars unfortunately. Basically, don't secure the seat with just a seatbelt - and if you do - use the included metal adaptor that locks the seatbelt into place. You want the car seat to behave as part of the vehicle.

3) When your child becomes a toddler (2-3) , don't be tempted by the booster/minimal seats they are selling. I used these for my oldest boy between 5-8 years (wieght is actually more important), but before then their little bodies still need a 4 point harness belt which buckles in the crotch and provides straps over each shoulder and leg.

4) Cover your leather! If you're half as serious as I am about securing the seat properly, you'll have permanent dents in your foam/leather from the bottom of the car seat pressing into it over time. I recommend putting some folded towels directly under the seat to minimize this and then covering the entire seat with a custom/homeade cover. The first time they spill a pint of milk back there you'll be glad you did.

I'm pretty particular about my car and anything that goes in it - so YMMV.

· Registered
744 Posts
When i got my car, the previous owner threw in some child safety seat attachment things. i dont remember seeing a part number on them, and i dont think she used them but she said theyre OEM... can anyone chime in on these if they know what they are? maybe ill take a look for them later and post some pics...

· Registered
190 Posts
I think what you might have gotten are the tether strap tie downs that attach to the underside of the rear deck that you can get to from the trunk. On the bigger car seat, you will need to slice a slot though the deck and attach the tether that comes from right behind the baby's head. I could actually use a couple if you are looking to get rid of these!

Journalboy-
when you put in your infant base, you can either strap the base/seat down with the center belt (this is what acura recommends, but is a pain to reach to the center of the car) or, you can thread the rear shoulder belt through and click it in place. The clip will go right behind the seatbelt male side to keep it from sliding up and down on the belt itself. And I agree to at least throw down a folded towel under it to protect the leather.

Congrats by the way!

· Blackend Motorsports
4,239 Posts
LeRoy said:
1) Never put a rear facing seat in ANY front seat....this means for the first 6 months or so until the baby can hold their head up and sit up in a regular car seat. Then upgrade to another seat and face forward - but you're still crazy if you put them in the front seat - IMO.
Texas law actually states that a child must be 1 year of age and over 20 lbs before being placed in a forward-facing car seat. Make sure to check your state's laws before installing anything.

We got one of those Eddie Bauer stroller / car seat / carrier combo's from Baby Depot (Toys R Us) that was the best investment IMO. My daughter has used it from when she came home with us and she's 10 mo's now. There are inserts that hold them in position while they're younger that you can remove as they grow and all of the straps have like 3 or 4 positions. Worth every penny IMO.

Good luck with the child - it really does change everything!

· Victory is fleeting...
5,575 Posts
Remember that you want the seat to be as secure as possible--basically, you don't want it to move more than one inch forward or sideways once installed.

To that end, get yourself some "swimming pool noodles" (the styrofoam "noodles" kids use in the pool, available at Wal-Mart, etc.), and I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the Loc-Tite fastener:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_11/103-4263843-6711027?v=glance&s=baby
The Loc-Tite is a miracle-worker as far as securing the seat. Put the seat in without one and then with it, and you'll see what I mean.

Your local fire department should have a program where they install child seats for free. I took mine to the local FD, but then my fire-fighter cousing saw the job they did and re-did both of mine in my cars, and after watching him I can remove and re-secure my kid's seats in about twenty minutes.

One last thing: To protect your leather, get something like a "seat saver" from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_17/103-4263843-6711027?v=glance&s=baby
Also, I use the non-slip padding you can buy in the kitchen section of Wal-Mart/Target/K-Mart to help the seat grip--remember you want as little movement in the seat as possible.

Good luck.

· Registered
417 Posts
Donut said:
I was rummaging through my glove box today and found my "child seat anchor plate assy". It looks like a bolt with a 1 inch spacer and a metal loop. I kinda imagine it'd replace the bolt to the seatbelt under the rear seat? but im not sure.

EDIT: heres a pic i took.

where can you get those & how would you install that?

· Spiral descent
5,040 Posts
That's the tether anchor plate the previous posts were referring to. There are three tether attachment points on the rear deck, and that's where they hook in. I think you have to poke a hole in the fabric on one of those points, depending on where you want to put the tether. I'm not sure if the tethers are still available, but you can check the dealer. If not, there is an address to write to in the owner's manual.

· Registered
53 Posts
I cant find the other thread I had on this issue so I'll post the info up in this one...

I just got one of the tether bolts.

HONDA part number: 82410-SE3-C01

Around $10-$15 depending on yer dealer...

The Owners Manual shows WHERE they go on the rear deck.
Open the trunk.
Look up a the rear deck where the Owners Manual says the bolts go.
You'll see a threaded section of the rear deck frame at the spot necessary.

I intended to use an awl to push UP from the trunk to mark the spot.
Then slit the spot from the top (very slightly)
Then insert the tether bolt...

postcript
used an AWL formt he bottom to poke a hole UP through the deck cloth.
used a cotter pin puller (awl with a 90 deg bend in it) to elarge the hole for the bolt.
The rear deck has alot of padding. Getting the bolt tread started is a PITA.

· I Am Not Anderson Cooper
4,919 Posts
Bought my legend with duck having a booster seat int he back, completely compressed the leather, left some nice grooves. Also dont get a fake stickon tint piece, duck had one of those too and its left a awful pokadot pattern on my window when it fogs up. Go for real tint to protect baby from UV.

· Victory is fleeting...
5,575 Posts
That cheap stick on left a mark? I had the damnedest time getting it to even stick, maybe it was the super-glue I had to use?

· Registered
324 Posts
That's the tether anchor plate the previous posts were referring to. There are three tether attachment points on the rear deck, and that's where they hook in. I think you have to poke a hole in the fabric on one of those points, depending on where you want to put the tether. I'm not sure if the tethers are still available, but you can check the dealer. If not, there is an address to write to in the owner's manual.
Can someone post a pic of where these install? I do not have my owneres manual for my 91LS and although I have these bolts, I cannot for the life of me see where they go. I had the entire rear seat out of the car last night and hunted around looking for where to mount these guys and came away empty-handed.

I would be very grateful!

BTW, The bolts that secure the seat belts to the frame are a 17mm and are VERY stout and are not the same size as the bolts in the tether hooks.... I tried. ;)

Also - I am working on the assumption that the tether bolts, once installed, become the equivalent of the LATCH hooks on other cars, correct?

· Registered
53 Posts
Can someone post a pic of where these install? I do not have my owneres manual for my 91LS and although I have these bolts, I cannot for the life of me see where they go. I had the entire rear seat out of the car last night and hunted around looking for where to mount these guys and came away empty-handed.
The TOP TETHER bolts go on the REAR DECK.
NOT behind the seat - up on the deck in between the speakers

Open the trunk.

Look UP at the metal frame that supports the rear deck.
There will be a threaded insert nut weldded to the frame work - one behind each seating position.

See my instructions a few posts back...

· I Am Not Anderson Cooper
4,919 Posts
That cheap stick on left a mark? I had the damnedest time getting it to even stick, maybe it was the super-glue I had to use?
I dont know what it is, it doesnt bother me unless the back gets steamy. :giggle: Also, slowly after time the marks from the kids seat are going away. :thumbsup:

· Registered
53 Posts
The Top tether goes on the rear deck

Here Sarah's berets mark the center and drivers side positions. The holes are poked (by me) awaiting more bolts.

Here you can see how far back they go on the rear deck

And how you can find them when lying down in the trunk...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.