Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of buying a set of hid's from a TL and I need to know exactly how to install them? Will these work correctly with my Legend? How much modding will I have to do? Please help!!!

·
Banned
759 Posts
CUSTOM

Custom work is needed, you need to custom mount them, probably cut the hood fenders, etc. and bondo and repaint...alot of work, after the $$$ f the lights probably $800 at a custom shop to install and do the work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why would I have to cut the fender? To mount the ballasts? Couldn't I mount these inside the bumper like on my TL? Exactly what part are you talking needs to be mounted? Would I have to change the fuse in the fuse box? If this is too much work than I won't get them...

·
Registered
760 Posts
well it actually looks pretty simple, just replace the sockets in the original housings with the ones from the HID kit. i think LegendTypeRKon was thinking that your actually going to replace the WHOLE light, and if you were what he said would apply. if your just going to replace the sockets in the original housing that its simple. the hardest part would probably be wiring them up to your lighting system.

i know this wasnt much help, sorry. i just wanted to clear up the confusion.

-brandon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ballast only has a two wire connection...so would it be the pos. and neg. from the switch on the steering wheel inside the car? I don't have a wiring guide for my TL so I'm not really sure! But, the light set up for the 02 TL is different and I'm not quite sure which it is that I'm going to buy...have to find out...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Hey Golden,

Acura HIDs are weird because they have the ignitor and ballast separate. At any rate, just shave down the lip of the HID bulbs by filing them, after that they should pop right in. Second the ballast should be small enough to fit between the battery and your head light (right side) and between the airbox and headlight (left side) . The two wires are just positive and negitive so don't worry. If you connect the wrong sequence then I think all that happens is you burn a fuse, don't quote me on that, but that's what happened to me. Also I know others put relays on their ballast, but I opted not to. I mean think about it, your car already have factory relays and on top of that the HID sucks less energy then the traditional halogen ones. So since I'm not familiar with the ACURA HID I don't know how your gonna go about mounting that ignitor. Is there enough room in the cap to fit both the HID and the ignitor? I had a kit from a lexus and a kit from a MBZ and they both didn't have ignitors separate from the ballast. Good luck --=Keith

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Hey,

Just got to look at a real pic of the ignitors and ballast. Looks like you can have the ballast as I stated above and have the ignitors attached to the back of the caps/covers of the head light housing. Then drill a small hole and feed the wires in there, seal the hole and your set. That'll actually make life easier then the set I have because getting into the housing would be easier with a small sockett you detach and unscrew. Ugh kinda confusing, sorry. --=Keith

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Re: CUSTOM

LegendTypeRKon said:
Custom work is needed, you need to custom mount them, probably cut the hood fenders, etc. and bondo and repaint...alot of work, after the $$$ f the lights probably $800 at a custom shop to install and do the work.
bondo and repaint lol, what he meant was to put the tl hid system into the legend coupe, not with TL headlight itself. it's not going to be hard, you can figure it out.. if not, we're here to help assist you :)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Hey............according to the diagram above. What part (numbers) would I need to complete my upgrade. From what cars could I obtain components and which components.......or,can someone post a thorough tuditorial because i'm quite sure alot of owners would be interested in doing this if it's simple and inexpensive. -thanx

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I'm not sure what you are trying to attempt...Are you wanting to mount the TL reflector into your housing or are you wanting to just take the bulbs, ballast, and ignitors out of the TL Headlight and put it in your headlights? If you are just putting the bulbs in, you will be dissapointed. TL HID's use D2R HID bulbs and your legend uses 9006 Halogen bulbs. You have to have a 9006 HID bulb to make it beam pattern correct. All you are going to accomplish by putting the D2R HID bulbs in your headlight is glare to oncoming traffic and a beam pattern that isn't correct. I am speaking from experience.

Mounting the TL Reflector will be a task if thats what you are doing. I mounted BMW X5 Projectors into my housings...Look here... http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=16369#post16369

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
[email][email protected][/email] said:
I'm not sure what you are trying to attempt...Are you wanting to mount the TL reflector into your housing or are you wanting to just take the bulbs, ballast, and ignitors out of the TL Headlight and put it in your headlights? If you are just putting the bulbs in, you will be dissapointed. TL HID's use D2R HID bulbs and your legend uses 9006 Halogen bulbs. You have to have a 9006 HID bulb to make it beam pattern correct. All you are going to accomplish by putting the D2R HID bulbs in your headlight is glare to oncoming traffic and a beam pattern that isn't correct. I am speaking from experience.

Mounting the TL Reflector will be a task if thats what you are doing. I mounted BMW X5 Projectors into my housings...Look here... http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=16369#post16369
I'm confused now. The D2S bulbs are the bulbs, like yours Matt, that are made for projectors. The D2R are made for reflector housings, just like the stock headlamps of the legend (usdm and jdm). There are only two type of HID bulbs, d2r and d2s. Shouldn't the D2r bulbs work? (because I'm about to get some... I might as well purchased the ulitinons 6000k HID kit :( ) The bulbs in the TL's are d2r. So they should fit, unless I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
legendarith said:

I'm confused now. The D2S bulbs are the bulbs, like yours Matt, that are made for projectors. The D2R are made for reflector housings, just like the stock headlamps of the legend (usdm and jdm). There are only two type of HID bulbs, d2r and d2s. Shouldn't the D2r bulbs work? (because I'm about to get some... I might as well purchased the ulitinons 6000k HID kit :( ) The bulbs in the TL's are d2r. So they should fit, unless I'm wrong.
Yes, you are correct, there are 2 types of OEM HID Bulbs, D2S & D2R. D2R's are for reflector housings and have the little strip to reduce glare.

D2S are for projectors, therefore they do not have the strip.

Neither D2R or D2S were designed for your legend. You can put them in your housings and hook them up to the ballasts, BUT your beam pattern is screwed b/c your legend requires 9006 Type bulb, not D2R or D2S, their bases are different. The shaped bases position the bulb(s) into the correct position, causing the light to reflect correctly. So if you have bulbs with bases that don't fit the headlamp, your beam pattern is screwed.

Basically, by putting unmodified D2S or D2R bulbs into 9006 housings you are accomplishing glare and messed up beam pattern.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts