Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up you all...i just picked up a 88 legend with 160,000 mileas. it runs pretty well, kinda lags a bit.

anyway, my friends tell me i should neutral drop it. I know this has to be bad for the tranny so im not gonna do it. But my friend showed me in his ford crown victoria. he revved it to 4500rpm tossed it into low and there was a huge delay then a really big surg forward. also it was burning out for about 3 or 5 seconds, just smokign the tires. people in the shopping center were looking at us a lot when we left.

i wish i could burn out in my car and am tempted to do it a little bit. 2500 or 3k rpm cant kill it can it??? also my other friend has a jeep cherokee and he floored it to 5000 rpm (redlined) and whacked the column down into "1" and it just burned out for like 10ft. :giggle: :eek2:

· Registered
375 Posts
Given that G1's have somewhat delicate auto trannies, I would never do this, unless you planned to rebuild it anyway.

Burn outs are juvenile anyway, IMHO.

· Registered
242 Posts
these transmissions come with a 2600 rpm stall torque converter, so the best launch would be to hold the brake hard and get the rpm's to around 2000 rpm or more, then launch, try this first but don't hold it for too long. You might want to play with rpm a bit more. Let us know how it works

· Registered
203 Posts
john bigonion said:
these transmissions come with a 2600 rpm stall torque converter, so the best launch would be to hold the brake hard and get the rpm's to around 2000 rpm or more, then launch, try this first but don't hold it for too long. You might want to play with rpm a bit more. Let us know how it works
Isn't this murder on your torque converter?

· Registered
638 Posts
First thing i must say is.. have you seen how much tires for a legend cost? (i'm used to driving eco cars..)

i had a friend do this and both of his axels ripped out at once, its murder on your trans also. If your friend keeps doing this then soon hes gona be chriping at take off if he wants to or not lol

i see neons and civics do this all the time, its alot more fun to do it then to see it, it just looks horrible, it spins weels for a few seconds like its gona take off but then just goes slow since its a auto and has no low end.. I used to do this all the time in my 89 celica and it worked best when i was going about 25mph, i'd shoot up to about 65mph in like 3 seconds since i already had momentum and the high end was kicking in.. my celicas idler pully locked later and broke the timing belt, i'm willing to bet it was associated.

somtimes ill feel dumb and try to drift it around corners, ill get down to about 15 mph and take a turn and gun it, it gets alot of torque right there and will squeel weels for a few seconds.. while still not good for your car its fun and helps vent my non 5 spd depression for a while, atleast its not bad as popping a automatic...

· Registered
242 Posts
Isn't this murder on your torque converter?

It's not murder if it's only for a few seconds, these transmission really aren't that delicate, they just need to be maintained properly. Granted they don't last has long has a manual but I beat the crap out of mine and it's been reliable, I do also rebuild my own transmissions, both auto and manual.

· Registered
638 Posts
sudden torque like that destroys not only your trans but your engine too. when you put alot of low end torque like driving up hills or doing what your talking about it squeezes oil out of alot of moving parts like your rod bearings. i'm guessing it can also oxidize your trans fluid. Seriously dont do it.

If you dont care about your car and are set on destroying it, do an extreme weight reduction, cheap or even no intake lol, drill some holes in your tail pipe and you'll definetley get more power than "neutral dropping" it. or try running your windsheld wiper fluid hose to the intake like cheap water injection, (water doesnt compress and increases compression alot) you'll probably blow your block apart though lol

· Registered
638 Posts
if you actually took the time do ghetto water injection right you can pull it off, you need to have valves and pressure regulators and stuff.. its probably best just to buy a real water injection kit if you wanted to try it.

· Registered
234 Posts
First off if u maintain ur tranny it will last. If u want to get off the line fast, use the hand break insted of the normal break thats should smoke em up a little. the torque converter should hold fine but do you really want to do this to you legend? Dont poke anyholes in ur muffler aswell, leave it, its fine and should not really be modded especially not with a power drill :p. LOL good one cigarettcancerman.

· Registered
638 Posts
if my maintaining you mean replacing internal tranny and engine parts yes. no car can take abuse like that for long. Low end torque is very harsh on both the engine and trans and is even worse if launching it. Replacing your oxidized fluid may help little compared the physical damage happening instantly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.