Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely love these cars, but they need to undergo some serious weight loss to get the most fun out of them.
The idea is to retain the console/dash and door panels(or lighten up both) so the car retains some practical shape but lose everything else hidden around the car that is not essential to operation.
So what can get thrown out? Where is the extra meat that can be cut out?
I am looking for something less obvious than carbon fiber body panels(that doesn't add up to 500lbs anyway).
The leather seats can go... no problem with that.
So what else?

Wiseguy warning, don't say silly stuff like cutting the roof off.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I think you have to think about where most of the Legend's weight comes from. Is it pure engine/tranny or is it in the amenities?

Figure that out and you can put the Legend ofn a weight lost regime. I know that when went from my G1 to G2, one thing I noticed was how heavy the doors were.

·
what!
4,566 Posts
dump the doors (all of them) and all the glass. :giggle:

On a more serious note, I found that the complete interior wasn't all that heavy - the heaviest parts were the seats, which weighed about 130# together. There are tons of weight reduction threads though, why don't you start there? We don't really need more threads. :)

·
Banned
0 Posts
Lighter wheels, and from personal experience the auto weighs a hundred more than the manual, and the 6 speed flywheel twice as much as the 5 speed. Carbon fiber hood would shave some off, and non power seats, (those bastiches are heavy!). Sunroof glass is more than a metal roof too. Just a few examples, but I like my luxery car WITH it's heavy ammenities!:thumbsup: :p

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
You'll loose a little more than 50lbs by simply stripping out the trunk (trunk liner, tools/jack, spare, etc.). Get a plexiglass moon roof made; at this point you'll already be at leased 1/5th way to your goal. Bucket seats and light weight wheels (stock NSX wheels come to mind) might shave off another 160-200lbs.

·
Banned
14,692 Posts
I believe they're 20lbs each while the 15"s are 18lbs each.
wow thats it? i was thinking closer to 30/35. as 20lbs wheels are generally already considered light weight, well atleast my 18's at 22lbs were listed online and on their site as light weight.....

but i guess if u get like 13lbs 16's you can shave 7lbs per wheels.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
If you are basically mechanically inclined:
Gut the ABS, tear out the audio, back seats gone, replace front seats, tear out the cruise control, tear out the A/C.

If you are pretty crafty:
Start picking away all the unnescessary electronics that make up a luxury car (dome lights, side lights, etc.) and work in a smaller alternator, tear out the power steering system and find a manual rack that isn't too hard to fab in, tear out the ductwork and blower motor for all HVAC, gut out the doors for a plexi-glass or etc. option (maybe even rig up a manual crank system?)

Thats just off the top of my head. I've done most of this save for the manual rack and door stuff. Not too hard really.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
wow thats it? i was thinking closer to 30/35. as 20lbs wheels are generally already considered light weight, well atleast my 18's at 22lbs were listed online and on their site as light weight.....

but i guess if u get like 13lbs 16's you can shave 7lbs per wheels.
I know the stock CL-S wheels weigh 24lbs; NSX wheels are 16lbs (I think), thats 32lbs right there. Then the wheels start to spin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you are basically mechanically inclined:
Gut the ABS, tear out the audio, back seats gone, replace front seats, tear out the cruise control, tear out the A/C.

If you are pretty crafty:
Start picking away all the unnescessary electronics that make up a luxury car (dome lights, side lights, etc.) and work in a smaller alternator, tear out the power steering system and find a manual rack that isn't too hard to fab in, tear out the ductwork and blower motor for all HVAC, gut out the doors for a plexi-glass or etc. option (maybe even rig up a manual crank system?)

Thats just off the top of my head. I've done most of this save for the manual rack and door stuff. Not too hard really.
i was thinking more along the lines of cutting away parts of the body... cause this car is seriously heavy.
ive had accords up until now and i just cant imagine where all this weight is coming from.(besides the engine/trans)

·
Banned
14,692 Posts
well accords, first of all they are smaller. my 99 CL is basically a 96-97 accord coupe, it weighs about 500-600lbs lighter then the legend, and its not too much heavier an accord.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
i was thinking more along the lines of cutting away parts of the body... cause this car is seriously heavy.
ive had accords up until now and i just cant imagine where all this weight is coming from.(besides the engine/trans)
Hmm... I'd have to look at the structure of the car again, but I bet you could hack away at the insides of the doors and the trunk area a bit... wouldn't recommend altering the cars integrity though.

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,672 Posts
hahah. but thats the beauty of the legend my friend.. weight is not an issue. the car still goes like helllll.

cutting away at the body? such as what. .... the weight of the car seriously comes mostly from the engine and tranny. lol :p

start with getting those seats out. then cf trunk and cf hood and light weight wheels. and see where that gets you.. cutting apart the car ... iuno ..

and just to prove that weight is not an issue. my legend bleep bleep my friends 97 prelude .

·
The Great White North
813 Posts
it is.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts