Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Old S*hool Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had several people PM to ask how I did this, so I thought I would start a thread to explain - others who have completed this conversion please feel free to add your input!

This is what I recently wrote to an inquisitive member:

I bought a set of JDMs with the stock H4h bulbs still in them. I removed the H4h bulbs and compared the location of the filament on the H4h to the location of the gas pocket on one of my 9006 hid bulbs - good news is they are exactly the same distance away from their respective bases. This means that once installed the beam pattern will not be affected (btw JDMs have much more even light spread and beam cutoff than USDM headlights).

Now the only problem was to figure out how to carve the 9006 base to fit in the H4h opening of the JDMs. After looking at the opening, the stock H4h bulb and my 9006 hid base for some time, I realized that if rotated the hid bulb the right way, I could file off a certain amount of the tabs on the hid 9006 base to properly fit and hold in the JDM H4h opening. I can't get more specific than that without using pictures, but I'm sure that if you wanted to do this (and bought the JDMs and 9006 HIDs) you would be able to figure it out.

Once that is figured out, place a ziploc bag over the hid glass to make sure there will be no finger oils left on it (which would destroy the bulb!), then take a dremmel and carve the base until it has 3 prongs that will hold in the 3 prong openings of your JDMs.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

·
Old S*hool Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This may also work with D2S or D2R based HID bulbs, but I don't know for sure.

The big advantage with buying a 9006 kit is that the wiring is all plug and play in our USDM cars - you can just attach the car's stock 9006 plug into the HID kit (as the power switch), connect each ballast to the battery (as the power source) and insert the modified HID bulbs into the JDM kit. This removes the need to splice the H4h wiring to the car's harness.

Keep in mind that the higbeams are now yellow fogs, so you have no true highbeams - I find this to be no problem.... The hids are as bright as I will ever need and I can use the yellow fogs to flash people without blinding them. It also looks real nice with the yellow and HID light side-by-side..... just ask theGodfather! ;)

·
Old S*hool Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pic of beam pattern I posted in my G2 gallery post:

Now keep in mind this is with my crappy camera phone - in real life the beam is more even and the cut off is sharper. Also, it looks brighter on the left because I'm closer to that wall...

·
Type I King
8,889 Posts
dave, wouldnt changing the direction of the bulb make a differnce, i had some old 9006 bulbs at home, i messed around with them, and saw what u were saying. u can get the three prongs to cover up most of the JDM holes for the base, but wouldnt rotating the bulb affect the beam?

·
Old S*hool Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hotstartup said:
dave, wouldnt changing the direction of the bulb make a differnce, i had some old 9006 bulbs at home, i messed around with them, and saw what u were saying. u can get the three prongs to cover up most of the JDM holes for the base, but wouldnt rotating the bulb affect the beam?
Nope.
Rotate the bulb and you'll see that the gas pocket is always in the same place!!

If the bulb was in too far, or not far enough, then you'd have problems with the beam pattern. But rotating the bulb won't make a difference b/c the light shoots evenly in all directions from the gas pocket. Ya follow??

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
how much.

how much is the 9006 hid kit running for.??

·
Premium Member
9,314 Posts
hey Octane...was that you with the quote in your sig that said "Canada is bigger and on top...if this was jail, you'd be our b**ch"?? If so, whered it go...i always found that funny as hell haha

·
Old S*hool Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Daddymac117 said:
hey Octane...was that you with the quote in your sig that said "Canada is bigger and on top...if this was jail, you'd be our b**ch"?? If so, whered it go...i always found that funny as hell haha
Heheh - ya that was me! I took it out because there is a character limit and I used them all up explaining my mods!!

I even have more mods not listed in my sig because of the character limit, like my autodim gentex rearview mirror....

When I work a new sig pic (cole austin agreed to help me) I'll try to incorporate the mods in the sig photo compilation, which will free up characters to put that back in :)

Edit: btw I LOVE that sig pic of yours. So classy and mean looking all at the same time ...WOW. Every time I see that shot I drool.... :bowdown:

·
Registered
468 Posts
hotstartup said:
Dave i asked the people on HID forum about rototing the bulb, here is what one person said "yes it would alter performance of the bulb and beam. Return wire needs to face straight down"
The beam pattern will not be changed as much -- under the return wire, there will be a little bit yellowish pattern and a little bit dimmer but otherwise the same pattern.

·
Old S*hool Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the most important thing is that the gas pocket is in the correct location....

We don't have highly accurate optics anyways! (although they are better than usdm headlight lenses).

My return wire is either at the 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock position (I will check) and it works fine. you saw the pics hotstartup! :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.