Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually I'm asking this question, how do I do this, what options do I have?

Do I just get some speaker box ports paint them tan and cut some circles in my rear deck and port it that way or do I cover the hole with a grile of some sort?

Yall give me some Ideas on this.

·
Registered
248 Posts
okay, here is how did mine, but you want to have some kind of cut off tool, like a air saw, which is what i used.

so basically, I took out hte carpeted piece covering the rear5 deck, cut a bit hole in it, doesnt have to be too neat, but a decent sized hole, and then I cut a matching hole in the carpet peice, and finally, i fabricated a grille made with mdf and grille metal and attached it in the middle, so it looked factory...

b

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
I had my rear deck vented by cutting where the tray area is. I actually cut it in two sections as it is divided by a ridge which I decided to leave in. The hole was then covered by a custom grille.

·
Registered
248 Posts
yeah, that exactly how i did it...grilel over the tray area...

yeah, ported decks helps when you are running only a 10" sub :)

b

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes yes that's exactly what I want to do yes. Thank you, thank you, thank you guys. Ok whats mdf BingO not familiar with that and legendGS the grille material you have their where can I get that and how do I attach the grill to the deck, velcro?

·
Registered
248 Posts
mdf = medium density fiberboard

a very smooth wood material, made from sawdust I think, very smooth, easiy to cut and strong...preferred over particle board in car audio...

b

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
i bought my grill cloth from radio shack. just ask for speaker cloth and they should know what u'r talking about. as for the port, i cut a 5 in circle and put a speaker port in it.
-j

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My rear deck actually raises up when my bass hits, so I feel that maybe this is restricting the bas flow into the cabin-- should I put a port in my rear deck? Will it improve the sound? what size? shape?? HOOK ME UP!!!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
you can cut a hole about 5inches in the middle.
this is the only picture i could find but you can get the idea. it's in between the airhorns i had in the car. i just took the rotozip to it. the metal cut fairly easy. the pressure was definately alleviated but i dont know about the sound because my subs were pretty loud to begin with.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Is there gonna be a difference with the sedan and the coupe? how much clearance did you have between the top of your box and the bottom of the rear deck? I have maybe 4 inches all the way across and my box is cut into the crossmembers behind the rear seats and comes out all the way to where the drop is for the spare... But no sound improvement?

What about covering the port? Should I just use a bandpass box port with no cover I am justy worried about it vibrating if i put a cover on the port. The whole point is airflow and sound, so would a cover be a bad thing?

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
aiznpride said:
you can cut a hole about 5inches in the middle.
this is the only picture i could find but you can get the idea. it's in between the airhorns i had in the car. i just took the rotozip to it. the metal cut fairly easy. the pressure was definately alleviated but i dont know about the sound because my subs were pretty loud to begin with.
hope this helps.
Why, may I ask, do you have airhorns in your rear deck? :giggle:

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
I'm assuming he had it wired up with his alarm system. I know for sure that'd scare the crap out of me if I were trying to steal his car.

·
AKA Smartjay28
5,668 Posts
FF Drifter said:
I'm assuming he had it wired up with his alarm system. I know for sure that'd scare the crap out of me if I were trying to steal his car.
thats acualy a good idea. but...lol...it prob scare ME sometimes.(car locks me in and alarm goes off :giggle: )

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
ok, so......

Is there gonna be a difference with the sedan and the coupe? how much clearance did you have between the top of your box and the bottom of the rear deck? I have maybe 4 inches all the way across and my box is cut into the crossmembers behind the rear seats and comes out all the way to where the drop is for the spare... But no sound improvement?

What about covering the port? Should I just use a bandpass box port with no cover I am justy worried about it vibrating if i put a cover on the port. The whole point is airflow and sound, so would a cover be a bad thing?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.