Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys being the fact tat i'm only 16 i have never drag raced a person especially with an auto... i'm not really fond of autos so this is wat i heard... before u start I should put it in D1 than up to D4...
Or another way is to D3 then D4... well let me hear your stories of how u start off then... thx u

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
NSX got it... point and shoot... pretty easy... the dragstrip is a little different, but then again, I'm used to this:

1 - turn on fuel
2 - prime carb
3 - check everything
4 - start engine
5 - roll to burnout box, check tire pressure
6 - burnout
7 - check tire pressure (again)
8 - check outside of car
9 - strap in, helmet, etc...
10 - set shifft light, double check it (I'm running an original Muncie Rockcrusher 4-speed, so a missed shift means a blown motor)
11 - pre stage
12 - stage
13 - give opponent the "You're slow" look just for kicks
14 - the lights go, and then so do I
15 - shutdown
16 - check car over, get ready to go again...

NOTE: this is on my Cutlass, not my Legend...

·
Registered
541 Posts
you don't...well u could..but it damages it in the long run. Also you could simply find some wet pavement and stop on gas. our legends have adequate power and will do a very nice burnout on wet ground.

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
95Legend6Spd said:
NSX got it... point and shoot... pretty easy... the dragstrip is a little different, but then again, I'm used to this:

1 - turn on fuel
2 - prime carb
3 - check everything
4 - start engine
5 - roll to burnout box, check tire pressure
6 - burnout
7 - check tire pressure (again)
8 - check outside of car
9 - strap in, helmet, etc...
10 - set shifft light, double check it (I'm running an original Muncie Rockcrusher 4-speed, so a missed shift means a blown motor)
11 - pre stage
12 - stage
13 - give opponent the "You're slow" look just for kicks
14 - the lights go, and then so do I
15 - shutdown
16 - check car over, get ready to go again...

NOTE: this is on my Cutlass, not my Legend...
i learned the cliffnotes version....

check everything the night before (tire pressure, fluids..etc)
roll up to line
prestage
stage
launch
brakes
return to line or
go home

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
DTMM, you dont' burn out wiht an auto, unless you're running a Powerglide or something like that... but I wouldn't even consider a Powerglide a real auto, it's more like a mean hybrid or something along those lines...

·
Registered
397 Posts
NSXNEXT said:
Put it in D3 and floor it
Do you do this in the quarter mile? If so, do you shift at all during your run? Isn't it bad to run it in D3 past certain speeds?

·
I'van der Rohe
12,803 Posts
as long as you dont run at 45mph with it in D1 for more than a few seconds you will suffer no damage. you can shift manually going from D1, what you dont do is put it in D2 and start. thats an automatic loss from the get go. D2 as you know starts you off in second gear. but i say torque brake very lightly. when i torquebraked heavily i got major wheel spin but it was cool cause you see smoke coming over the hood and when it catches watch the speedo, it shot from 40 to 55mph quickly (this was the first day i had the car.

torque it to about 1300rpm. the as you would a clutch let off the brake and floor the gas, as your if you were dropping a clutch let off the brake. i've only done this a couple of times. My legend has enough grunt for everyday point and shoot traffic maneuvers, and zip starts for me right now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i heard about that too heard tat it messes the torque convertor or the transmittion real bad

·
Registered
130 Posts
i'm confused, i have an automatic too and i know from experience that starting in D1 makes u go a lot faster but its not bad for ur tranny long as u don't go 45mph right? and when u shift it out of D1 it goes to D3 or D4??? my friend wants to race and he has a 92 prelude and i wanna smoke his sorry @$$ (he's a cocky *******). thanks guys, i don't wanna wreck my car cuz my ego lol

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
i start out in D3 from the line. you can wind it out to like 90. i don't do this, but if you read your manual it says for auto, D3 top speed is 96mph. i usually go t about 70, shift to 4 and just feel my baby lunge forward.:D

·
Registered
463 Posts
The top speed in third gear is much higher than just 90. It's at least 110.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The top speed in third gear is much higher than just 90. It's at least 110.

·
Registered
460 Posts
danger69, go and read your manual. It says that you can operate an auto just like a manual via D1 D2 D3 D4. Just don't go revving the crap out of each gear.

·
Registered
541 Posts
i dunno, i just did it today and redline at 6K is exactly at 90miles/hr.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Reno5658 said:
danger69, go and read your manual. It says that you can operate an auto just like a manual via D1 D2 D3 D4. Just don't go revving the crap out of each gear.
I don't recall reading that in the manual, I believe mine says something like D3 for city use, D4 for highway use. I would only use 1 and 2 for steep hills.

·
Registered
100 Posts
you guys are buggin me out with this lol.... ok my story is if i brakestand till like 1,500-2,000 rpm's n pin it off the line in d4 i feal it is a whole lot better then racing in d3 or def. racing in d1 then shifting up ect... also when i shift up from d1 to d2 my car like bangs into 2nd really hard like im powershifting a 6 spd in duno i really gotta test this out now if you saying shifting up from d1 is faster.....

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.