Acura Legend Forum banner
121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Parts

Hello all, Shane here. My daily driver is a 92 LS w +200k on the odo. A little over a week ago I acquired a 91 with some pretty messy cosmetic problems... so I'm using it as a parts car :yes: On the list of items to be replaced are: radiator, thermostat, timing belt, water pump (all of which I'm hoping to tackle over the coming weekend). All of this leads me to the VSS. Everthing I've read in these forums says that the sensor itself needs to be replaced and not the housing. Since I have a complete unit (housing/sensor) at my disposal, is there a particular reason that I shouldn't simply replace the whole thing, or will this lead to other problems? :confused:

Thanks to everyone for your wisdom and advise. :bowdown:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick question

Can any one give me some feed back my legnd coupe makes this rough sound and it has a hard jerk going from reverse to D4. Has anyone had this problem with thier legend and if so can you give me some insight. Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
So last night I got under the car with the parts I ordered, took off the plastic shield, got the entire assembly out, then used my new fancy torx bit to udderly destroy 2 of the 3 screws. Fantastic. Hey, one came out super easy. The rest it just mangled the threads to nothing. Guess it's dremel time!

I would highly recommend clamping the power steering lines and taking the entire thing out to work on it. I have a feeling that's where I went wrong.

·
Fut RIP
10,145 Posts
So last night I got under the car with the parts I ordered, took off the plastic shield, got the entire assembly out, then used my new fancy torx bit to udderly destroy 2 of the 3 screws. Fantastic. Hey, one came out super easy. The rest it just mangled the threads to nothing. Guess it's dremel time!

I would highly recommend clamping the power steering lines and taking the entire thing out to work on it. I have a feeling that's where I went wrong.
Well let us know how it turns out follow TN legend owner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well it's finally replaced. Had to grind a slot in the screws to get them out. But unfortunately that didn't fix anything. Check engine light is still on and speedo is still wonky. Although I do think it's shifting better, but that may just be me making things up hoping it did some good. The ABS light is also on but I have a feeling that's a separate issue. Just reaffirms I should have taken time to check the codes before I ordered any parts :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep. Code 12. But what would the EGR have anything do with my speedo being wonky?? Maybe the cluster itself is bad?

Edit: And I just read the procedure to remove the intake manifold to clean the EGR..wow. that's going to be a fun day.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Another VSS replacement

Everyone, thank you for your contributions regarding the VSS replacement. As a Helm manual owner, I could have solely referred to it, but contributions from you here on this forum helped greatly.
My VSS was the original (from 1993 with 187,850 miles), before I had the D4 and the speedometer disco on a consistent basis. I noticed in the beginning, it happened more often when it was cold outside. Toward the end, it did not matter.
I opted to remove the unit from the car (draining out the old power steering fluid) which was not necessary.
The end state, like most was to replace the electronic component (at the top of the assembly), and the O-ring at the base of the unit. It turned out well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
this morning I took my roommate to work and my speedometer wouldn't work(lately its been jumping/acting up..) so I slap the dash and it worked...well a mile down the road it stopped again and then the D4 light stopped working!!WTF?!?...car still drives fine and all other gear selection lights work is it my VSS???

another little problem is my door locks will sometimes not wanna open they'll unlock and lock really fast wtf??...

·
Registered
35 Posts
kdena989

Well, even after changing out the VSS, my D4 light is off, but the speedometer works fine now. I don' think that is because the VSS, i think that is because it is the light that is on for the longest time, and will burn out 1st. Maybe smacking it like the Fonze, caused the filament to go! but it is most likely the VSS. its not expensive and easy to change, and the most likely culprit. Those are the exact symptoms mine had. i would change it.
As for the door locks, I would say with a high level of certainty that it is the little rubber bumpers in the door lock motor mechanism. they tend to tear over time. There is a thread somewhere on the board that has pics and a diy process. i took mine out, which is a bit of work, as you must remove the door panel, some window guides (but not the window), and do some hand acrobatics to deliver the part out. I've done it 3 times, it got faster each time (the other times because eventually the little motor stopped working because there was a break in the windings.) Anyway, i just flipped the little rubber bumper over and super glued the heck out of it on the non contacting side and it was just fine.... till the motor died. Of course now with 256,000 miles the head gasket is leaking (it is in the for sale section)... so all those other issues look small. This is an amazingly built car, they don't make them as well now... little issues here and there, but they are not hard to repair yourself (well i did not want to try the head-gasket, but the car has given me more service than I could ask with the original engine an transmission), so don't despair.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Definitely VSS. Look at your odometer and see if it's turning, if not, VSS.
If the odometer still turns is it vss ? my speedometer works sometimes doesnt work at others. Stays at 0 or tells me im going a lot faster than what i am. Or doesnt start working til about 20-40 mph. I want to fix this but want to be sure its a vss ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just finished replacing the VSS electronic part (the $100-$130 one, not the entire $395 mechanism) on my '91 L sedan, and I must say I ran into just about every difficulty described by others in this thread. Could have probably changed out that module right there on the car, but the two phillips head machine screws underneath the dust cover had other plans.

So my other lesson learned is that my old golf tee trick to plug the hoses once I removed them didn't work and I ended up with the entire reservoir of P/S fluid on the floor under my car. Lesson learned is to simply drain the hoses into something right there once you disconnect them. Once the entire distributor-like assembly was off my car, a hand-held impact driver convinced the screws to yield to Zod.

The kit nowadays includes the o-ring, torx bolts, dust cap gasket, and plastic wire tie. Interestingly it doesn't include replacements for the phillips-head machine screws, which got a little gnarled in the process of my beating them into submission. :p

Being that my car is 22+ years old with over 273,000 miles, I was curious whether this was the original VSS that I removed but I simply could not tell; could see no dates/markings on the old one to indicate age, and the previous owner was an Acura Tech, so it wouldn't be surprising it would still look 100% factory after he finished with it. Shoot, even the battery in my car is a Honda battery, he was so into OEM.

·
Fut RIP
10,145 Posts
Oh now I'll have to grab some golf tees.

121 - 140 of 144 Posts