Acura Legend Forum banner
141 - 144 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Speedometer jumping is usually t4x4 symptom. Then your D4 light starts blinking (auto). If your D4 light starts blinking then your transmission might be a little hesitant to switch gears at the right time.

One other symptom I had was that when D4 was blinking and I had to come to the stop fairly quickly, my Check Engine light and TCS lights went on.
Thank you I kept reading everyone talk about the erratic d4 light but when you said that second part tcs light plus cel light after a quick brake... exactly whats going on with mine now I'm 100% sure its it..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Family. I have a 1994 Acura Legend that I purchased last year (2019) that I am working on with the hope of making it road worthy again. I am not a mechanic, I just love cars and decided to take on this project as I am crazy about Acura Legends.

One of the issues I am having is the speedometer jumps even when the car is stationary, the D4 light blinks when I drive off and the cruise control light does not come on. I am not sure the cruise control actually works as I haven't been able to test it as yet.

Based on what I am reading the VSS could be the reason for this. I have seen two different parts being called the VSS on this car. Does anyone have a picture of the VSS that is causing this issue?

·
Registered
11 Posts
how to replace the VSS

I could not find the tutorial for VSS replacement. So, I used the Helm's manual, and the instructions on the replacement part to figure it out. I've attached an image of the part installed on the car. Hopefully this image, and the following notes will help others to perform this task.

First, you need to order the replacement part. The part number is 06560-PY3-000. You need a #20 Torx tamper-proof bit or screwdriver. The Torx tamper-free is NOT the same as a normal Torx bit. Tamper-free bits have a hole in the tip. You will also need a 10mm box-end wrench, 10mm socket wrench, and a phillips head screwdriver.

Then, you need to remove the plastic shroud that protects the forward-underside of the engine bay. Jack up the car, and find the oil filter. Remove the 10mm bolts and two plastic buttons that secure the shroud that spans the entire width of the car, and is just forward of the oil filter.

Now, take a look at this image:

The VSS is located right beside the oil filter. First, detach the electrical connector circled in red. Next, remove the single 10mm bolt cirlced in yellow (with yellow arrow). By twisting the whole assembly back and forth, you can withdraw the VSS from the differential. A few drops of oil will spill -- have a rag ready. Then, remove the 3 Torx screws from the top of the VSS. These are circled in green on my image. Finally, use a phillips screwdriver to remove the 2 screws that hold the sensor unit to the assembly.

Replacement is the reverse. I found it much easier to work with the new parts while the VSS assembly was dangling from the two rubber hoses that you need not remove. Be sure to replace the O-ring on the VSS shaft, and the odd-shaped dust seal that goes under the top plate.

The whole job took about an hour... I could do it again in half the time now that I know how.

Cap
Can someone please psot some pics of the vss location

141 - 144 of 144 Posts