Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got in my OEM Fog Light Switch and was wondering if someone would be able to help me wire my aftermarket PIAA foglights to the OEM Switch?

Can you help?

Thanks,

Gil.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
LegendMS said:
I just got in my OEM Fog Light Switch and was wondering if someone would be able to help me wire my aftermarket PIAA foglights to the OEM Switch?

Can you help?

Thanks,

Gil.
Sorry, I don't know how to do it, but can you tell me where you got the switch from and how much it cost you? Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OEM Fog Switch

Bought it from Acura of Augusta for $16.00 plus shipping. Don't recall the phone number, but I'm sure you can do a search to get it.

I know somebody knows how to wire the switch to my aftermarket fogs ..... :rolleyes: please share the info :eek:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^

I'm sure someone knows how to do this ..... I know that I've seen it on the old forums, but I can't seem to find it.

Gil.

·
Registered
418 Posts
me too

i am planning on the same thing, since our babies are prewired for oem fogs, so it should be easy to swap, right?

help, please, pros!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
still need help with this, I have my PIAA on/off switch dangling around just it's just dying for me to chop it off and wire the new factory switch ...

So does everyone use the aftermarket fog light switch that comes with their fog lights?

·
Registered
100 Posts
it's really simple.. on the OEM switch, there should be three wires, one is constant power, ground, and the last one is the accessory wire. You will need to use a volt-meter to determine which is which. To find out which is the power, when you hook up a voltmeter onto the wire, the voltmeter will tell you if it has a current (electricity) going throught it without having to turn on the car. The accessory wire only has current (electricity) coming through if you start the car. The last wire would be the ground wire. You match those wires up to the PIAA wires (which is RED is constant power, black is ground, and the white wire is the accessory power wire). All you do is cut and splice. Shouldn't take you no more than 20 mins to do. I think I've done enough simple electrical stuff on my car do know what I am finally doing. If you want to see how much electrical crap I did to my car, just look on the neon lights alone. Check out my car.

Keefe
Aka Xenonk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well that does seem easy enough, and if the switch I bought had wires coming out of it then there would be no prob! :)

But my 92 LS Sedan did not come wired for factory fog lights so I bought the factory switch, which only has a few metal prongs sticking out and no wires. Are you telling me that I need a wire harness to wire them to my PIAA wiring? I just thought I could connect the aftermarket wiring directly to the prongs on the new fog switch.

I could of sworn I had read instructions on how to do this on the old forums, but it was forever ago.

Thanks for the help!

Gil.
[/QUOTE]Originally posted by xenonk
it's really simple.. on the OEM switch, there should be three wires, one is constant power, ground, and the last one is the accessory wire. You will need to use a volt-meter to determine which is which. To find out which is the power, when you hook up a voltmeter onto the wire, the voltmeter will tell you if it has a current (electricity) going throught it without having to turn on the car. The accessory wire only has current (electricity) coming through if you start the car. The last wire would be the ground wire. You match those wires up to the PIAA wires (which is RED is constant power, black is ground, and the white wire is the accessory power wire). All you do is cut and splice. Shouldn't take you no more than 20 mins to do. I think I've done enough simple electrical stuff on my car do know what I am finally doing. If you want to see how much electrical crap I did to my car, just look on the neon lights alone. Check out my car.

Keefe
Aka Xenonk
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
580 Posts
What you need to do is call Acura of Augusta and order the
Sub-Harness that goes from your Model Year and type switch
to existing accessorie harnesses (4 or 5 I think)
I got the OEM fog light instructions for both the G2 Coupe and
Sedan. The subharness hookup interfaces with your existing
harnesses under the drivers side dash and a few on the kick panel, one on the fuse box, and one thats hidden behind the drivers foot rest.

If you do this than all you will need to do to power up your fog lights up front is to remove the drivers side bumber signal light and reach in and grab a single wire with a brown connector which has BLUE tape around it (same as some of the others found inside the car for your subharness) and that is your pre-run wired HOT or positive wire for your fogs. Than just run a ground wire from the chassis frame (good location is drivers side just below and left of the radiator.

Just be advised that you will only be able to turn on your fog lights with the OEM switch and wiring when your headlights are turned on and they will go off when you hit your highbeams.

Any other questions on locations of these harnessess once you get the subharness, than please feel free to email me.

Regards, James

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think that's all unnessary to do. You can just hook up the three wires to the 3 prongs on to the back of the OEM switch. The only you have to figure out is which prong is which. One of them is bound to be a power line, a ground, and accessory. The crucial thing is to make sure you crimp and wrap the connections up with some nice 3M electrical tape, you should be fine. You can also go to your local Radio Shack, and ask a electronics expert to tell you which prong is which. If I was there working on your car, I can tell you, but since I am not, this is what I can tell you to do. It's not hard at all. Just remember that you need power, you need a ground to make the electricity flow, the other accessory wire activates the switch to make things work. I hope that's enough info for you to get started with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
you have two options

If you do this without using the factory subharness.(hooking the three wires to the factory switch as mentioned above) You Must use a relay.

Reason the fact switch is designed to switch low current and the Relay then switches the high current to the lights. The use of the relay allows a low current switch and small (easy to route & cheap) wires to the switch and in the cabin and larger wires are only needed between the realay and the lights (where the current is) Without a relay you at a minum will be posting in a few weeks that your switch is burned out and at a maximum will be complaining of an electrical fire.

OR do as James S suggested and use the factory sub harnesses and the factory relays.

Having installed the complete fact foglights on my car I think if you are going to use the fact inside harness, swith and relays you might as well just install the whole kit. (get it from acura of augusta).

The fact brakets and lights are really top quality and you would be hard pressed in my opinion to get aftermarket lights to mount as securly while still being precisly adjustable for optimal viewing.

Good luck.

tom

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
I attempted to wire my aftermarket fogs to my factory switch but wasn't successful. Thought it was my not being familliar with electronics, but turns out to be a bad switch (whole other story).

Anyway, I'm not famillar with the PIAAs, but I had a set of Focuz fogs that came with everything including a relay.

If you have a voltmeter, you should be able to figure out which pin is which in your switch. Check for continuity between the pins with the switch in the OFF position. When you find the two that give you a reading, one of those is ground one is power. Now, with the switch in the ON position, do the same test using the pin that wasn't one of the two earlier (this is the pin that determines ON and OFF) as the "anchor" and test again for continuity. Once you've found continuity, you've located your ground. So, at this point, you will know what each of the three pins does.

Do as mentioned earlier to determine what each of the three wires from the fogs does, and wire accordingly. Note that if you have your fogs hooked up to use either your headlights or corner lights as a trigger, you will need to have those on to test for power.

Someone correct me if I got anything wrong here. :)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Ive done this on my car. I DO not have the wires. All it takes is for you to connect 4 wires to the back of the switch. 2 grounds 1 remote and 1 12v. Im not 100% on what wire goes where but basically it is if u hold the swich in your hand 12 v bottom right corner remote bottom left grounds on the the top left and right corner. Hope it works out. I love this mod. So:cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts