Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
jecodob said:
how do i keep my ar from getting abhg
Replace the waterpump after 100K

If you blow a coolant hose, stop driving the car that instant....

Make sure your radiator is working well...

if anything at all breaks with the cooling system, replace it ASAP. and Don't drive the car with broken coolant compoents.

·
Registered
147 Posts
GSteg said:
to prevent a bhg..

..install a new headgasket and u shouldn't have that kind of problem :lol:
i replace my head gasket and it definitely the well done job ever. a month later it overheated ,it just yesterday. darn it, i'm in freeway :( :mad: one little hose mess me up, i'm so mad. i replace all the hose that are kindna old but unexpted one. i check my coolent level before i left my shop but coolent lick all out while i'm driving. my suggestion to Prevent BHG you just have to look at the needle sometime. :( i'm doing HG again 100 for parts but :mad: 4 full days of work. :mad: :mad: :(

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
MikeD said:
Our cars tends to risk a BHG when your temp needle rise up in the red zone. Never forget that our engines are very sensitive to this. By driving it past the 'H' mark, you have almost 100% likely blown your HG for sure, and possibly cracked the block. Thats what could happens, when Legends overheat ! -Mike
That happend to me on my 92 LS... luckly i got rid of it in time(still got my 91 L with me... its my baby :D )

·
Registered
159 Posts
Seems like the legendary Honda engine durability is shot with this known weak point in the design. Sad part is many Legend owners don't have a clue about this who don't visit this site or ask questions till it happens to them. I don't hear of many Accords/Civics/Preludes of this era having this issue, my cousin's 93 Prelude Vtec has over 180K on his original radiator and running very strong. This is strange because they sourced the radiator to the same supplier as the lesser more populous models.

·
Registered
147 Posts
ZiggyB said:
Seems like the legendary Honda engine durability is shot with this known weak point in the design. Sad part is many Legend owners don't have a clue about this who don't visit this site or ask questions till it happens to them. I don't hear of many Accords/Civics/Preludes of this era having this issue, my cousin's 93 Prelude Vtec has over 180K on his original radiator and running very strong. This is strange because they sourced the radiator to the same supplier as the lesser more populous models.
every car have a weak point, i just sold my prelude and i know it cause me lots of money to fix it. a distributor 350 :eek: , a/c electrical are really bad, ask your friend i think he have the same problem. 8 out of 10 prelude i experience have the same problem.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Ballistic said:
You wanna know how not to get a BHG? It's called LOVE!!! Give your car a big hug and kiss just before you go to bed. Then it will be happy.
Don't forget to keep your wallet well stocked. as these cars are not cheap to maintain. but as for preventive maintanance for a BHG. Replace your radiator at 100k. to me cleaning them out is just not good enough. The radiator is the main ingredient for the cooling system... Period...

·
Sales Guido
1,086 Posts
just out of curiosity, if you do get a BHG, or are just concerned about getting one, couldn't you just replace the paper one with a copper gasket and be done with it?

·
Banned
618 Posts
Sombody mentioned replacing the radiator at 100k, is that every 100k?
what i'm trying to ask is. say you change your radiator at 100k, and you drive for another 100k with out a problem ( i doubt it ) and replace the radiator at 200k?

i'm only at 131k, still curious about this hG stuff.

<--- NEwb But learnign! ^_^

·
Registered
237 Posts
jecodob said:
how do i keep my ar from getting abhg
my 92LS has 60K. At around 45K the original radiator started leaking. I caught it because I'm anal and I check all fluid levels once a week. It's not like my wife, who used to drive this car everyday, was going to notice a pegged temperature gauge.

I have no doubt that I would have joined the BHG club if I hadn't been diligent with maintenance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.