Acura Legend Forum banner

How would you rate the legend's manual transmission?

  • Second to none

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Not the best but still very good

    Votes: 7 58.3%
  • adequate

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Terrible, but hey its better than an automatic

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay guys, so this weekend I drove my bro's prelude again after he got a new engine (last one seized) and every time I drive it I fall in love with the transmission. The shifter has NO vibrations, is crisp during shifting and almost feels like an extension of your hand.

The legend on the other hand, feels sloppy in comparsion and not as responsive, at least to me. I had my old 5spd legend and now this newer 6spd and they both feel relatively similar. I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

Damn I love that prelude's tranny. :(

I still appreciate having a 6spd though!! :D
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,086 Posts
cough....no probs here :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ACtually i was going to start a thread tonight....hopefully someone can help me out.


Today i was getting vibrating in my shifter and some noise once i hit lets say 3grand and would continue until i put slight pressure on shifter...

I have slop even in gear about a 1/4 in each way. It is the short shifter too.

Either it is a bushing up by the change joint....or something else. someone said it could be my shift forks.............but tonight she never felt better???????

It has been vibrating for about two weeks but not as bad as this morning.

any ideas???
 

· Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
misdeismo said:
Okay guys, so this weekend I drove my bro's prelude again after he got a new engine (last one seized) and every time I drive it I fall in love with the transmission. The shifter has NO vibrations, is crisp during shifting and almost feels like an extension of your hand.

The legend on the other hand, feels sloppy in comparsion and not as responsive, at least to me. I had my old 5spd legend and now this newer 6spd and they both feel relatively similar. I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

Damn I love that prelude's tranny. :(

I still appreciate having a 6spd though!! :D
change out the synchronizers
 

· Road Trip King
Joined
·
4,700 Posts
I've had a 5-spd and a 6-spd G2 coupe. The 5-spd is much more fun around town, but I'll take the 6-spd on the highway.

As far as quality of the transmission... I haven't driven a newer Acura product to be able to compare to. I have no problems with synchros, grinding, or anything at 196k on the original transmission and clutch. The shifts are a bit "clunky" for my taste, though. From what I hear, that means I need a tranny mount. I would really like to drive a newer 6-spd Acura and see the difference.

I have had three Prelude MTs (86, 89, 91) so I can relate that they do have GREAT transmissions. They are a riot to drive.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4cruizn said:
I've had a 5-spd and a 6-spd G2 coupe. The 5-spd is much more fun around town, but I'll take the 6-spd on the highway.

As far as quality of the transmission... I haven't driven a newer Acura product to be able to compare to. I have no problems with synchros, grinding, or anything at 196k on the original transmission and clutch. The shifts are a bit "clunky" for my taste, though. From what I hear, that means I need a tranny mount. I would really like to drive a newer 6-spd Acura and see the difference.

I have had three Prelude MTs (86, 89, 91) so I can relate that they do have GREAT transmissions. They are a riot to drive.
Yeah, I want to drive a s2k, I hear they have one of the best trannies.

Hey robbanks111, you think it is a synchronizer issue? The 5spd I drove felt pretty much the same as the one i have now. maybe they both had bad synchros (not unlikely)? Sometimes I do get a good feel out of the tranny, but my bro's prelude makes you want to shift for no reason, just because it feels so good.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
swift said:
cough....no probs here :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ACtually i was going to start a thread tonight....hopefully someone can help me out.

Today i was getting vibrating in my shifter and some noise once i hit lets say 3grand and would continue until i put slight pressure on shifter...

I have slop even in gear about a 1/4 in each way. It is the short shifter too.

Either it is a bushing up by the change joint....or something else. someone said it could be my shift forks.............but tonight she never felt better???????

It has been vibrating for about two weeks but not as bad as this morning.

any ideas???
I guess changing out the bushings would be my first move. When i did my tranny mount beforeI saw the bushing was deteriorating.
 

· $er1f
Joined
·
991 Posts
I would have to say that I thought the same as you at first. As an owner of an 87 Celica GT Alltrac manual, 92 Prelude, and the two legends I can say that the LEGEND's tranny is a different beast; it requires to be driven when matched with that 3.2 (when it is cooled properly).

The shifting to me was bothering me at first as I could not "slam" it into the next gear. My shift range would be ~3-3.5 grand and it was choppy, sluggish almost. Began shifting at ~4.25-5.0....all is well. My two cents.

one,
 

· dealer-opted track pack
Joined
·
3,469 Posts
I have not driven the TSX manual, but the RSX-S was notchy.
It's smooth from the factory, but becomes notchy over time.
Occasionally, when the car is cold, 1st gear would pop out.
The TSX transmission is more or less the same--yes?

Maybe you guys don't give the Legend credit where it's due.

k.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nupe07 said:
I would have to say that I thought the same as you at first. As an owner of an 87 Celica GT Alltrac manual, 92 Prelude, and the two legends I can say that the LEGEND's tranny is a different beast; it requires to be driven when matched with that 3.2 (when it is cooled properly).

The shifting to me was bothering me at first as I could not "slam" it into the next gear. My shift range would be ~3-3.5 grand and it was choppy, sluggish almost. Began shifting at ~4.25-5.0....all is well. My two cents.

one,
Actually, your quite right about the high rpm shifting but I usually dont go over 3k when I shift so that maybe the reason also.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
khoerling said:
Maybe you guys don't give the Legend credit where it's due.

k.
Well, I only have two points of reference; the 5/6spd legends i had and my bro's 97 prelude. I am satisfied with the tranny but would love it to feel like the prelude's. I made a polyureathane rear tranny mount (filled in the gaps in the oem mount), so I predict it will make the shifting much more direct. I'm putting it in this weekend.
 

· Registered Abuser
Joined
·
551 Posts
nupe07 said:
The shifting to me was bothering me at first as I could not "slam" it into the next gear. My shift range would be ~3-3.5 grand and it was choppy, sluggish almost. Began shifting at ~4.25-5.0....all is well. My two cents.

one,
i noticed the same thing!! but i typically take it to 4-4.25...smooth. i also have a synchro problem with 3rd, where it wont let me downshift into it unless i rev match, but i kinda like it. its like a unofficial safety feature
 

· I'van der Rohe
Joined
·
13,069 Posts
khoerling said:
Maybe you guys don't give the Legend credit where it's due.

k.
:werd:

after driving a 540i and a Legend manual, the 540 and Legend were about equal. i haven't driven any other front drive transmission that shifts as well as the Legend's.

it's Rod shifted, most newer acuras are cable shifted. cable shifted=flex anf degradation of shift quality over time.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,086 Posts
I will take a look underneath hopefully on Friday...on my issues


Mine i drive to 4grand now....there is a reason behind this though. I get there faster, so if i at 3grand it feels to early. When stock shifting before 3grand felt like you were lagging the engine.

Some days.....u have to go all the way.........vroom :D :p

I love the freeway. :)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top