Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any tips from anyone that has gone through the process. I have a slide hammer, bearing pullers and bearing press.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Front or rear? Rear are much easier. Front take some time, the lower ball joint can be tough to crack loose. You need a large socket (36mm I think) and a big breaker bar to take off the axle nut.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Front or rear? Rear are much easier. Front take some time, the lower ball joint can be tough to crack loose. You need a large socket (36mm I think) and a big breaker bar to take off the axle nut.
I'm waaaaaaaaaaaay beyond that point. I need to know how to get the bearing out.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's you eventually do? And did you order the assembly from the dealer or elsewhere?
I ordered one from autowarehouse.com They usually carry decent aftermarket name brands - I think it was Beck and Arnley.

Anyway, I removed the wheel, caliper and rotor. Then used a slide hammer to remove the hub from the bearing. Then you can remove the screws holding the sheet metal, remove the upright from the car. Make sure you remove the snap ring on the back side of the hub bearing...or you'll wonder why it's not pressing out. Then with some "creative" use of metal blocks to position the upright on a press - I pressed out the bearing. You need a bearing separator to remove part of the bearing race from the hub. Just reverse the procedure for pressing the bearing back in.

I would not attempt this job unless you have access to a slide hammer, bearing press and various size adapters, and a 6" bearing separator. The actual process is not that difficult and is outlined in detail in the service manual. Or, just remove the upright and bring it and your new hub bearing to a shop - and pay them to do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.