Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I let some one else change my oil last time and I cannot get it to move. I have my car up on a jack and am turning the bolt counter clock-wise towards the back of the car, I am pretty sure thats the correct way. I won't move and its starting to strip the bolt, any advice? any one experiance this before? Please help.
 

· Stop eyeballin' me, dawg!
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
Spray it down with PB blast, let it sit for an hour and work the bolt both ways, back and forth until it lets loose. Don't reef on it, equal even pressure with a half inch drive socket wrench should do it...
 

· is gone with the wind ...
Joined
·
1,019 Posts
Just to clarify, counter-clockwise is correct as you view it looking up from under the drain bolt. Don't know what the problem would be unless the previous person didn't use a crush washer at all, much less a new one, and simply jammed it tight. Can you see a washer?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
go92Legend said:
Just to clarify, counter-clockwise is correct as you view it looking up from under the drain bolt. Don't know what the problem would be unless the previous person didn't use a crush washer at all, much less a new one, and simply jammed it tight. Can you see a washer?
Yhea, I do see a washer. But man, I cannot break her loose. And just to verify I am turning it towards the rear of the car looking up at it so that should be counter clock-wise. This is very frustrating.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4doorYooper said:
Spray it down with PB blast, let it sit for an hour and work the bolt both ways, back and forth until it lets loose. Don't reef on it, equal even pressure with a half inch drive socket wrench should do it...
What is PB Blast? will walmart carry it? Would wd-40 work as well? or is this cryptonite for stuck bolts?
 

· Stop eyeballin' me, dawg!
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
WalMart should have it, Its what Jeep guys and hardcore off-roaders use to loosen up bolts that have been subject to extreme punishment (suspension, etc). Should be in the same section as WD40, just works better.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
i know what you mean i just changed my oil and my drain plug was damm tight too. But i was the one who tight it about 4 mouths ago .... i recomment you to get and new drain plug,
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,439 Posts
I had to use a breaker bar. Sprayed WD40 on it and let it sit for a half an hour. Then used the wrench and a breaker bar (2ft long, careful not to buy too long of a pipe, or youll have no leverage due to the end hitting the ground). I actually ended up using the handle for my jack, I cut off the rubber end and it fit right over the wrench. Just make sure you are using the right size socket so it does not strip.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
arnach said:
I had to use a breaker bar. Sprayed WD40 on it and let it sit for a half an hour. Then used the wrench and a breaker bar (2ft long, careful not to buy too long of a pipe, or youll have no leverage due to the end hitting the ground). I actually ended up using the handle for my jack, I cut off the rubber end and it fit right over the wrench. Just make sure you are using the right size socket so it does not strip.
I agree with his approach. Make sure that the socket you are using fits very snug on the bolt so it cant be stripped, then use as large a breaker bar as possible so that you can put enough torque on your attempt. If you are pretty sure that you can't get the bolt off using one approach, don't keep doing it or else you may damage the bolt/strip it. The key is getting more torque out of your attempt.
 

· Stop eyeballin' me, dawg!
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
Well, I guess if you can't get enough torque out of the half inch drive, its probably screwed up enough that you're going to have to replace the plug anyway... ski poles w/o the rubber grip make great breaker bars if you have room :D
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:mad: :mad: This is insane, I have made 3 flippin trips to pep boys to keep buying stuff, different wrenches, new drain plug and gasket, that PB stuff. I sprayed it and let it sit for flippin 2 hrs and still cant get it off. I am going to try to get some more leverage from slipping something over the handle. Any other ideas?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,439 Posts
The breaker bar should do it or you are going to have to get somebody with air tools to do it. Mine was on so tight from the dealer that the washer was warped so it would not come off and I had to cut it off piece by piece. Sounds like we are having a similar time with our oil changes.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,439 Posts
Most likely an air wrench with no regard for the proper torque. Last time I took it to the dealer they did an oil change -- put a quart too much oil in and totally f-ed the drain bolt and washer. If they cant get that right, imagine...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sleeprlegendcp said:
Are you doing this with the motor hot or cold?
Later!
Lee
I tried it both ways, what I mean by that is: This afternoon I drove about 12 miles round trip to get the oil and filter. So the car was hot when I initially tried to remove the plug. Its now 5 hrs later and cold and still can't get the bloody thing off. :mad:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,369 Posts
nasriaz said:
I tried it both ways, what I mean by that is: This afternoon I drove about 12 miles round trip to get the oil and filter. So the car was hot when I initially tried to remove the plug. Its now 5 hrs later and cold and still can't get the bloody thing off. :mad:
One thing is that it does not sound stripped. It could be damaged, which can be repaired usually. Have you tried a 1/4" drive wrench? I say this because they are usually longer and will give your more leverage. If that is not enough then find a metal tube that will fit over the wratchet and use that. How ever you do it try to me smooth with the application of pressure so you only use what you need. I hope you have already started soaking it in wd-40 or something like that. I also find it handy to grab ahold of a jack stand, or something, and use both arms for force. The best of luck to you!
Later!
Lee
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top