Acura Legend Forum banner

I changed my rear tranny mount today...

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Roger 
#1 ·
After reading up on all of the symtoms that point to the rear tranny mount going bad. I decided to order the tranny mount from Acura of Augusta for the heck of it. Then today when i have a chance to bring my car into my automotive class to work on, and i did. I put the car up on the lift and take a good look at it before i attempt to take anything apart. All of the symtoms that i have been having was true, the mount was in pieces, it was held onto the outer part of the mount by a small portion of the rubber.
Me and my bubby attempt to change out the mount and take us about an hour and a half. It's not as bad as i tho it would be. Pretty easy if you have acess to a lift.

The result are nice, less rough idle when you are in gear and no more "clunk" sound. The car also shift a lilttle bit smoother.

#6 ·
Jejiii...i paid $123.86 us dollars for the mount from Acura of Augusta. I think it's still pricy for that mount since it's not hydralic or anything, but i need it. How much did u paid for your?

Sorry i don't have any instruction from the helms or from any of the maintenance manual.

You can see the rear mount through a small hole between the heat shield and the back of the tranny. You are going to need a flashlight to look up in there. You may be able to see the crack in the rubber part of the mount if it's mess up. Or you can get someone to climb up into the driver seat and crank up the car while you at the bottom looking at the mount. Get that person to hold the brake n put it in reverse n rev up the engine a lil bit, then change to drive and do the same thing. You will see the movement in the torred up rubber if it's bad.

What i did first it take off the cat, two bolts in the front and three nuts in the back. Going to need some lubricating spray to loosen it up first, and try not to strip out the bolts n nuts or it's going to be a pain to get off. Mine came off fairly easy. After the cat, you will see a small heatshield right behind the tranny, there's four 10mm bolts that is holding it on. Then you will see a bracket after that, i'm not sure what's the purpose of the bracket, but it's there. There's four 12mm bolts for the bracket. When you have removed all of this, you will be able to see the rear mount clearly. I supported the tranny with a transmission jack and take off one bolt the hold a metal piece to the tranny mount, with in turn support some line going into the tranny (i believe it's the shifter cable, i just use this old piece and leave off the new one that came with the mount). I slide that piece to a side and loosen up the bolt the slide into the center of the mount. Then take off the three bolts that hold the mount onto the body of the car. I also take off the bracket that attached to the back of the tranny where the mount sit into. There's three bolts for this bracket. I take the mount along with the bracket off and put the new mount on to the bracket and put in back where it came off it. Installation is reverse of removal.

Sorry if you confuse some of you in my explaination, but it's the best that i can do.

#8 ·
Tranny Mount Price Paid

I paid about $118 for my rear tranny mount about 1-1/2 years ago from A&H Motorsport. Adding S&H brought it to about $125.

It took me about 3+ hours to change mine, but I had no lift, all I had was jackstands, and had to crawl in/out from under the car for every little tool. Still, was a little easier than I had anticipated. This was for a 6-speed, but I bet the mount is similar to the automatic mount sice both seem to fail frequently. A pretty weak design, IMHO. Looks like it's designed to break every 100K miles or so.

EAS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.