Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Banned
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I DONT UNDERSTAND EVERYONE 1/4 TIMES

OK I HAVE ONLY INTAKE AS A PERFORMANCE MOD AND WITH MY SYSTEM IN THE BACK THAT IS EXTRA WEIGHT. NOW I KNOW THERE ARE A LOT OF FAST LEGENDS OUT THERE...BUT WTF I MEAN... HOW IS EVERYONES TIMES SO SLOW. I ONLY RUN 15.4 BUT I SEEN LEGEND TIMES OF 15.4 WITH CAI, CHIP, EXUAST AND NOS!!!!!! THAT'S SAD, AND I HAVE HEARD 15.8 ON TYPE II WITH INTAKE AND EXUAST ON 6-SPEEDS...DO PEOPLE NOT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE THERE 6-SPEEDS OR WHAT...
I WANT TO KNOW IF THE AUTO OR 6-SPEEDS ARE DOING BETTER...
AND WHY ARE SOME LEGENDS JUST NATURALLY FASTER THAN OTHERS...LAST, WHY ARE THE 1ST GENERATION MODDED MORE FOR RACING, THEY HAVE MANY 14 SECS CAR WHEN ARE 2GENZ ARE RUNNING MAINLY IN THE 15...I DONT NEED SLIPS BUT ANYONE IN THE 14'S OR QUICKER LIST YOUR TIMES AND MODDS...ACTUALLY 15.6 AND FASTER LIST THE TIMES AND MODDS I AM REALLY CURIOUS.

·
Banned
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
DV8 do you have times before each mod or from when you were stock so I can see how much improvement you gained from each mod...IE your intake...your chip...your exuast...what was the best improvement or what...

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
I believe why most people with 6speeds don't post good times is because there are very few 6speed racers simply because 6speeds are rare and still fetch a high value. To break 14's stock with a 6speed you have to beat on the car pretty hard and not many people want to do that to their babies.

As far as times, my best official times was 15.46. But I have unofficially broke well into the 14's after installing a Bayou ECU, 2800RPM High stall torque converter and level 10 transmission kit.

I don't have proof for my 14 second runs, so I have to wait till I fix my blown headgasket and make some more adjustments to my tranny to get to the track so I can get a time slip for proof :) And maybe a friend with a video camera. My mods are listed in my sig.

·
Banned
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NickD/DV8

so what mods were you running the 15.4 with, intake and exuast? that good! I want to know about DV8's 15.2 run b/c that's with motor no nos, but his mods are CAI, Exuast and CHIP. Doesnt the chip and a good exuast give you mad performance so why isn't he running 14.8-15.1, if me/you run 15.4 with out exuast and the big gain from a chip shouldn't the chip shave a good 0.3/0.4 off the time so that's 15.1/15.0 and with a good exuast maybe another 0.1 off the time putting us Legends at 14.9ish with a CAI/Good Exuast and a Chip????
DV8 your 85 Max shot takes off 1.6 seconds?
So If I can break 15.0 next time at the track can I run a 13.4 you think.

Next time I run its with no system, no filter, no cat, no spare, and deflated tires, think I can shave .2 or .3 off?

I looked at some other Legends times...My car pulls crazy in 3rd, more than other Legends times...could this be my CAI

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
A stock 91 Auto Sedan runs 16.1, stock 91 5spd Coupe runs 15.6, stock 93 6speed runs 14.8.

When I ran 15.46 that was with an intake, exaust, port and polished heads/intake/exaust manifolds and no weight removed from the car. Probably if I removed the contents of my trunk, my rear seat and passenger seat I would have knocked ~2/5 of a second off.

·
Banned
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have a Type I right, no swap?
If so that's really good so you say intake/exuast/port and polish took off 0.7... If I run 15.4 with just CAI...then I port and polish my heads and put on a good exuast I should maybe shave another ... 0.4 lets say my CAI took off 0.3 that = your 0.7 you took off. I just don't get it... Type II with intake and exuast should run 15.2-15.4 and then with a chip even maybe break the 14's. Type I should hit 15.4-15.6 with intake exuast and then you Chip them low 15's (15.1-15.3)...Why are all these Legends runnning MID-HIGH 15's instead of LOW 15's HIGH 14's?

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
You're going way over in numbers. Intake and exaust together knock maybe 2/5th of a second off. My P&P gave me at least another 20-30hp boost. On that same night I had low runs of like 15.8 :) My best was 15.46, my averages were around 15.55 - 15.6. Around there.

Also, on the Type I vs. Type II, not including hybrids, a Type I car is lighter, my car weighs in at 3390lbs, vs. the heavier Type IIs I think come in at almost 3500...

·
Banned
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It just seems like all of the TYPE II are running slow for the mods they have...Only me and a few other TYPE II's are dipping for the mods they have, like the guys who runs 14.9 on radials...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I guess if they ran 2.5 60ft times then that pretty much puts them in the range of 15.5 and above. Wonder what your times would be after severe weight reduction(them pair of subs and 1000watt PPIs are dragging you down :D ).

·
Junior Mint
629 Posts
There are so many factors that figure into a 1/4 mile time. Elevation, temperature, humidity, condition of car. Even the driver's weight figures in.

As I have mentioned in other posts, my best is [email protected] MPH. Chip, CAI, Exhaust, 17" rims. Just going by the NHRA correction factor for elevation, I'm at 15.7. And don't think 100+ degree temp in a Socal desert helps the time either. Or full tank of gas. I wasn't brake torquing, since I didn't feel like putting that stress on my transmission. I've already ordered a B&M trans cooler, after I install it, I'll be more willing to brake torque.

Bolt on mods are not going to improve your 1/4 mile time dramatically. Don't believe everything companies like AEM tell you.

LegendTypeR, the chip is not going to shave .3 to .4 off the 1/4 mile. Your time is about right for a Type II coupe auto + intake. I doubt you'll be in 14s with chip and exhaust. Maybe 15.1.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
You gotta remember the Legend isn't a race car, and if you aren't into it hardcore like DV8 or Leon, then you aren't going to pull 14 second or sub 14 second times. You need to take the Legend for what it is: a luxury car with awesome looks that just happens to have some decent power.

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
Why dont you just mod your car and see what you run?

if im not MISTAKEN you only ran a15.4 once in you three runs, along with a 15.5 and 15.6.

Nick D others and I run low times consistantly with mods.

I can run 15.2's all day long with occasional 15.3 and a 15.1.

I can also shoot an 85 shot of NOS and run a 13.7 or 13.6 on street tires.

I bet you, wont even hit a 13.9 with a 100 shot of NOS. ITs all in the experience.

No Legend reported here has broken a 14 all motor except for ZOL a while back with slicks & tranny drops.

I dont belive in slicks because you can use them in a street race.

~Hybrid

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
My 2 cents

I'd just like to throw in the mix the fact that automatics are generally faster than manuals due to the fact that most of us are not professionals, and can't shift nearly as fast as a computer. So if you want to drag, get an automatic. If you want to track, get a manual.

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
Re: My 2 cents

Bread said:
I'd just like to throw in the mix the fact that automatics are generally faster than manuals due to the fact that most of us are not professionals, and can't shift nearly as fast as a computer. So if you want to drag, get an automatic. If you want to track, get a manual.
I disagree

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Nah, I think manuals are faster than autos with a decent driver, you don't have to be a pro with a manual to beat out an automatic of the same car...just a decent driver will do

Think about it, autos are pre-programmed for shift rates, they have to take into account a wide range of people, some people don't like their engines to be high reving, noise, fuel economy, etc... So usually the autos will have two modes, one that's for power, the other that's for crusing/fuel consumption. However, neither are to extremes, to satisfy most people that were buying the car. So manuals will always get the best performance, you can make it hang in it's sweet spot a lot more.

I just got a chance to go into a 5-speed 95 prelude, base model, 135HP but damn!!!! that thing felt so fast for 135HP!!! I was thinking, damn.. a 6-speed Legend is almost suicide haha :)

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
Realilty

Think about how many seconds it takes for you to put in the clutch, and move the gear lever, and then release the clutch. At least 1.5 - 2 seconds. You feel the car jerk forward again because you have lost your forward momentum. But with an automatic there is always forward pressure to the wheels. And if you have an automatic you'll notice that when the pedal is completely floored the engine revvs all the way to redline and then shifts hard to the next gear. The computer is programmed to slip at slower speeds to ease the shifting, but at high speeds it locks. You'll never beat an automatic in an drag race with a comparibly equipped manual. And as for the sweet spot, I can get the same result by shifiting down to 3rd on the freeway. But of course a manual will be much better in a road course.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
Bread is definatly right. Comparably equiped cars with the only difference being the tranny, and an average driver, the auto will win. the only difference is the ability to get the right amount of wheel spin. manuals make it easier to spin it. this can help in a 1/4 mile. a 6speed also tops out a little higher. But overall, and for consistency, an auto is easier to work with.
peace
Tnelson

·
Registered
358 Posts
Re: Realilty

I beg to differ...1.5-2 seconds when driving normally...but if I am racing my 5-speed, I can shift it in the time it takes you to snap your fingers. Sure, its hard on the tranny and engine mounts...but it sure would last longer than an auto tranny would.

Bread said:
Think about how many seconds it takes for you to put in the clutch, and move the gear lever, and then release the clutch. At least 1.5 - 2 seconds. You feel the car jerk forward again because you have lost your forward momentum.

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
Re: Re: Realilty

Legendary91L said:
I beg to differ...1.5-2 seconds when driving normally...but if I am racing my 5-speed, I can shift it in the time it takes you to snap your fingers. Sure, its hard on the tranny and engine mounts...but it sure would last longer than an auto tranny would.

your 5-speed won't last nearly as long as my auto. I redline it every time I get on the freeway. Frankly I'm way too hard on the drive system in general. But I've got 180,000 miles on this tranny. Can you say the same for your clutch? I don't think so. You just don't want to let this one go eh? I guess the only way to prove it is with time-slips ;) And the fact still remains that an average driver will lose to an automatic in a similarly equipped manual. But hey, maybe you are a professional driver that can shift better than the average guy with a manual tranny. Do you race on a circuit or something? Maybe you are the exception here, the non-average driver.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts