Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since I am new I will tell a little about me, I am 19 and I live in Wyoming. My Legend is an 1987 4door, gray and black two tone, I have had my share of bumps with this thing but it was'nt in that great of condition at the start, since my parence bought it for me, I have had to change the battery and spark plug wires, water pump, had the door repaired after my girlfriends mom backed up into me with here Ford Windstar in her driveway. But other than normal mantinece and alot of cleaning in the interior, it has been a sweet ride for awhile untill last month. Here is my problem......

I was driving one day and I stoped to get gas and when I put it in park, the moter would rev from 1000rpm to 2000rpm and back to 1000 again constatly untill I put it in gear then it would stop. I took it to a local shop and the guy there said that maybe one of the pistons wasn't fireing right so a friend and I changed out the spark plugs, and that did'nt help at all(put it does run smoother). Next I tried to change out the fule filter after a sugestion from my father, it helped for a little while but a day letter the moter was back to jumping up and down. I took it back to the shop to have it looked at and he held the line that goes from the fule filter to the engin and found that there was fule going into the moter then it would stop then it would go through again, he diegnosed the fule pump but he has never seen a car do this.

does anyone know what is wrong with my car, I will apreciate any help that you guys can offer.

thanxs
Jynx

·
Registered
374 Posts
My '87 occassionally does something similar, but it happens so infrequently that it's impossible to diagnose. My guess is the computer is getting some false readings from sensors and is trying to overcompensate. I usually just turn off the engine, wait a few seconds, then restart and the problem stops.

It could be the fuel pump is having trouble maintaining the pressure in the fuel system, but I dunno...

·
Registered
179 Posts
One of your intake lines might be clogged. I own a Gen 2 but its basically the same principle. Here's what you need to do. Find you Instake box. There should be 2 or 3 lines coming from it. Othe main 3" arm going to the motor and one or two other little ones. When your car is doing the high idle thing yank one of the small lines from the engine compartment. This is safe since these lines are only there to shared the filtered air from the box. (Of course, you don't want to do this for too long since the last thing you need in your engine compartment is engine dirt and such.

Immediately upon yanking it free your revs should drop. To permanantly fix the problem you may just need new lines or you could get an aftermarket filter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would

check for vacuum leaks. Spray carb cleaner or something around the engine bay, make sure it doesn't get sucked in somewhere.

check fuel pressure (with return line vacuum hose disconnected [35-40psi] and connected [~30-32psi at idle]). Check the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator. I actually had it crack on the underside so I didn't notice till I pulled it off and took a close look.

Check the distributor cap and rotor. They are cheap ($20 total?), so you might want to replace them if you have not done so in the past two years. Basically the metal parts will get rusty or covered with carbon and sometimes the car will misfire, and the rpms might drop. You can try cleaning the contacts if you are really desperate.

The problem you are describing is 'hunting.' I remember finding a decent amount of info on this on the net, so try searching google for rpm hunting if none of the above works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I experienced the same symptoms for a couple of months then 3 wks ago at a stop light my 87-legend sedan just died. No spark. My mechanic replaced the distributor cap and rotor and it runs better than it has in years. Up until it died we could not find the problem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.