Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Remove the shock absorber from the vehicle and hold it vertically with the lower mounting attachment in a vise.

2. Fully compress the shock absorber, at the same time turning the dust cover or piston rod slowly counter-clockwise, until you feel the adjuster engage into the recesses of the foot valve assembly.

NOTE: Some shock absorbers include a bump rubber concealed under the dust cover and this must be removed prior to adjusting. Do not forget to re-install after adjusting.

3. The shock may have been adjusted previously. Therefore, check whether the shock absorber is in the unadjusted position by keeping it compressed and gently turning further counter-clockwise while counting the half turns until a stop is felt. This is the minimum rebound position.

4. To increase the rebound damping, turn the piston rod clockwise. The typical adjustment range is 3-5 half turns.

5. Extend the shock absorber vertically for at least 3/8" without turning in order to disengage the adjusting mechanism. The dust cover or piston rod may now be turned freely.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rebound Adjustment Procedures

Remove the shock absorber from the vehicle and hold it vertically with the lower eye or pin attached in a vise. Use clamp plates to prevent damage.

Fully collapse the shock absorber, at the same time turning the dust cap or piston rod slowly to the left (counterclockwise), until it is felt that the cams of the adjustment nut engage in the recesses of the foot valve assembly.

Some shock absorbers include a bump rubber concealed under the dust cover and it must be removed prior to adjusting.

The damper may have already been adjusted. Therefore check whether the shock absorber is in the adjustment position or not by keeping it collapsed and gently turning it further to the left counting at the same time the half turns until a stop is felt. Stop turning then and do not use force.

Keeping the shock absorber collapsed, make 1 half turn (180 degrees) to the right (clockwise). In case of prior adjustment add the number of half the turns previously found. The total range is about 5 half turns.

Pull the shock absorber out vertically without turning for at least 1 cm to disengage the adjusting mechanism. The dust cap or piston rod may now be turned freely.

ADJUSTING DIRECTION

Clockwise = Firmer
Counter Clockwise = Softer

·
Yaozer *n *he A*k
311 Posts
Well, that's not the picture for our struts even though it all came in the box. The metal column suppose to point up or else it changes the fluid dynamics in the shock. I wish I had some way to upload mine instruction.

G

·
Just email me your instructions and I'll post them on my website and provide a link for everyone. Email me at [email protected]. Later, and thanks.

In the meantime though, how do you compress the shock fully if the metal skinny part is supposed to stick up when adjusting it. Or actually a better question, how do you keep it compressed, or is this a two man job? Thanks for the help.

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
Our model is a bit different

Yea, those instructions they came with don't show our exact model. For the Legend, there is no dust cap as pictured. There is just the shock cylindar and a rod protruding out of it. So for us, clamp the shiny rod end in a bench vise with the cylindar pointing up. Do NOT put the threaded portion in the vise or you will foul up the threads. Get it real tight and then push down real hard on the shock to engage it as detailed in the instructions. The thing is pressurized, so it will spring right back up immediately if you let go of it. I don't know what they're talking about having to pull it back out of the notch because it's a b*tch to keep it in there anyways. It's quite a workout to push the thing down, but it's easier if the setting is already on soft.

BTW: All of this must be done with the strut assembly completely dissambled and free of the spring and dust cover. I'm sure you're all aware of this, but with some people you never know.

G

·
How are you supposed to fully compress the strut if the metal shiny part is in the vise but not clamped on the threads? Doesn't it compress all the way down to the threads? Thanks.

·
Yaozer *n *he A*k
311 Posts
The corner of the vise is supposed to clamp just under the thread and above the part of the rod that gets thicker which is where the shock needs to be compressed to be able to adjust. SpeedD. didn't yours come w/ those instructions? The offset pics like 3a and 4a is what are for our model.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i just bought some used konis and i did not get any instructions with them....can someon please post them or maybe email them to me? my email is [email protected] thanks!...also im not sure if i recieved everything i needed.....i have 2 short shicks, 2 long ones and two circle metal things that look like ashtrays but with holes in the middle?

·
Registered
614 Posts
hey sympatico.. Where did u get your limited slip and how do u like it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts